Third time's a charm, right? Aj's 01 Imola/black 6spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third time's a charm, right? Aj's 01 Imola/black 6spd

Some of you may remember me. I’ve had a similar Imola red E46 M3 6spd. I bought that car when it was extremely neglected and needed a lot of love (similar to this car). I gave it everything it needed and I enjoyed it for a bit but I was too afraid to “drive it” cause at the end of the day it was a 100k mile M3 with tasteful mods and with the current market it had a pretty high monetary value. I couldn’t bring myself to track it or drive it hard. So what did I do? I took advantage of this crazy market and sold the car back to the previous owner of my car.

So what was the replacement for the E46 M3? Well, A Porsche 996T sounds tempting but for a full time engineering student, that wasn’t feasible. So I settled on a S54 swapped Alpine white E36 M3 6 speed. I bought this car in Maryland. Did a few tweaks to it. Had Hassan retune it, coilovers, and an aggressive alignment. Talk about a riot. But in the end, that car never felt “mine” and most of my friends are calling me retarded for selling it but in all reality I never loved the car. It was fun but it wasn’t my car. Shortly after picking up the E36, I was casually browsing bimmerforums because I missed my E46 M3. The S54 E36 didn’t feel as special compared to an E46M. The instrument cluster didn’t feel special and the e36 just felt like a cheap old 3 series.

To my luck, the previous owner of my E46M made a WTB post on bimmerforums to buy an E46M because we couldn’t get numbers working. Some guy mentioned he had one about an hour away and it was imola red with a factory 6spd. I messaged him, not thinking much. Little did I know, I’d be the proud owner of this shitbox less than 24 hours later. It’s no “shitbox” by any means… It just has a lot of “typical E46 bro” parts; TE 37 reps, smoked tails, corners, black grills all around and cheap carbon fiber parts. Luckily for me these are easy changes.

The underside, body, and paint is better on this car compared to my 100k mile car. The underside has 0 rust being a southern/florida car.

Looks so much better with 19” arc8s with brand new PSS.

The interior isn’t too shabby either for 167k.

Maintenance wise: this car needs everything. My plan for it is to pull the front clip apart and pull the engine and trans. Why? Simply because it’s pissing oil from everywhere. The front suspension feels like it’s on life support. It’s weepin power steering fluid like no other bmw. The cooling system might have a fountain of blue coolant anytime now since it all looks original. The clutch is some shit southbend clutch that feel’s garbage. But I plan to redo the entire car and my living room looks like this.

These are only half the parts.

So what I gathered is to never sell my car.

Okay lol

Congrats on the new but similar to your last car new car.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
      So what I gathered is to never sell my car.

Okay lol

Congrats on the new but similar to your last car new car.
      That and I got a very strong number for the car. It was a hard pill to swallow but I can replicate the current imola car again for way less.

thank you!
      Last edited by Ajcanadian; 02-01-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Congrats, I remember the last one. Imola is such a great color on the E46 chassis.
        Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

Comment

With school, work, and life I haven't been able to work on it much. But every free time I have goes into this thing.

Here's most of the boxes unboxed.

I’m definitely excited to install the Auto Solution SSK

OEM bumper painted with matching painted reflectors

Ready for the engine to be pulled so it can get:-
          • New timing chain guides
          • New Headgasket and Head Bolts
          • Rod Bearings
          • Vanos
          • Valves Adjusted
          • Complete reseal
          • Block painted black
          • European Catless headers