KhanArt's Jet Black///Cinnamon 6spd E46 M3 build journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update (3/2/2013) CDV Delete

I wanted to work on the car so I figured I do the CDV delete which I never got to. I wanted to wait until I did my trans fluid and fuel filter so I could do all 3 at once but I couldn't wait.

DIY link for CDV delete:

My workspace

Under panels removed

During..

CDV

Removed

Panels cleaned and ready to go back on

Done

I can say there is a noticeable difference. Especially shifting from first to second. The wife will like this mod as well as me. I love how it changes gears smoothly now. This paired with the clutch stop mod and ZHP shift knob :thumbsup:
    2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
    Build///Journal
    IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Update (3/16/2013) Plasti dipped center console/Magic erased e-brake handle and steering wheel/Cleaned steering wheel stitching/M hat

I recently have been hearing a lot of fuss about plasti dip and people trying it on there interior trim. My center console was beginning to show it's age so I went ahead and tried it. Results weren't bad but some areas were clumpy and you could notice the texture of the plasti dip. I am only using this as a temporary fix as I already have my mind set on a new short style center console with armrest delete.

Plasti Dip thread:

Sorry all pictures were taken from a iphone so you can't notice the finer details.

Parts removed and cleaned.

Before

After

I saw this thread on Magic eraser so I wanted to give it a shot. I plan to get a Coby wheel in the future so this is just for the time being. I also cleaned the stitching on the steering wheel using another thread I found. Love how the wheel feels now. It is not shiny anymore and the colors pop on the stitching.

Magic erase thread:

Steering wheel stitching cleaning thread:

Steering wheel before shots.

Steering wheel and stitching after shots.

E-brake before

E-brake after

///M hat I got recently as a birthday gift

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (3/17/2013) Aluminum M pedals

Saw these pedals online and I thought they would look great on my black car. Haven't seen anyone with black ones and the price was fair so I purchased them. DIY wasn't bad but I would stress to be careful not to scratch the pedals.

DIY threads for install:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569332

Before

Pedals

During

After

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (3/23/2013) Few detailing supplies from Detailers Domain

Detailers Domain was having a spring sale so I picked up a few items I needed. I already have a good amount of detailing products that I picked up from local parts stores over the years but slowly want to upgrade to better quality products. I heard good things about Griot's Garage and Adams for the price. I will continue to upgrade as I run out of my current products.

Hope to have a DA polisher soon so I can do my first paint correction.

Ran out of wheel cleaner so I picked up Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner, heard this is one of the better wheel cleaners out there.

It was taking me for ever to dry my cars currently and I read good stuff about this Uber Super Drying Microfiber towel. Drys the whole car in one shot without wringing (huge towel). This will save me a lot of time and I can blot instead of wipe the car down.

Finally the 2 bucket method can't be done right without a Grit Guard. Had to pick one up.

Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can start detailing.
          Build///Journal

Comment

Update (3/24/2013) CPI RTX Section 1 videos

Jack from CPI will have these section 1 rasp terminators for sale soon so I went out and made a few videos.

Sorry for the poor quality iphone videos but you will get an idea how the RTX will make a stock E46 M3 sound. Basically no rasp and all motor.

CPI RTX E46 M3 in cabin - YouTube

E46 M3 with CPI RTX drive by - YouTube
            Build///Journal

Comment

Update (3/30/2013) CPI X-Stream section 2, CPI high flow drop in filter, heat gun.

I picked up a CPI X-Stream section 2 from Jack today and will test on my car with I have the RTX section 1. Hopefully will have dyno results next weekend. Lighter than stock section 2, SS replica.

Gaskets and hardware

I also picked up a CPI high flow filter from Jack. I will try to put this on the last dyno run to see if it makes any gains. I do not have a intake elbow yet.

Finally I had a Habor Freight gift card so I picked up this heat gun, probably will need it later.

Looking forward to the dyno day!
              Build///Journal

Comment

Update (4/6/2013) CPI X Stream Section 2, CPI high flow drop in filter, dyno testing

Was able to test the CPI X Stream section 2 today at a local dyno day held by Frank Smith along with the the CPI RTX I already have. I also tested a new CPI drop in filter I put in the last few runs.

Just as jack told me there should be gains in hp and tq in the upper RPMs, there was. But there was also a small gain in hp/tq in the mid range. I have included my last dyno with the RTX and the new dyno from today on the same graph. At the top end it is identical. I made 307.9whp before and I made 307.8whp today but you see the gains in hp/tq in the mid and upper RPMs on the graph.

Then on the last few runs I threw on the CPI drop in high flow filter and the car made gains in the upper RPMs. A gain of 7whp! I was not expecting that much from a filter. I am now highly considering getting a intake elbow.

I was expecting the sound of the car with the X Stream section 2 to increase but it really didn't. It may have increased slightly but very hard to notice. Still a very clean sound with no rasp. Also I noticed the car was slightly more peppy and I had a fun drive home but it's not a drastic difference plus I also had the help of a new CPI drop in high flow filter.

All in all I am very happy with how my car is running and sounding right now. Lighter than stock, hp/tq gains, good fitment.

Video of one the runs:

CPI X Stream Section 2 and CPI drop in filter - YouTube

X Stream pics:

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (4/14/2013) Tuning Tech Frank Smith Custom Tune

I have had my car dyno'd by Frank Smith from my first baseline to after each performance mod done on my car. It was during dyno'ing we discovered that my car had a tune by the previous owner, Frank believes it is a Active Autowerke's tune. Anyways I had some CPI performance parts added to the car and dyno'd after each but never had the opportunity to have Frank tune my car.

Well that changed today...

In short car has only:

CPI drop in filter
                  CPI RTX section 1
                  CPI X Stream section 2
                  Active Autowerkes tune (previous)
                  Tuning Tech Frank Smith custom tune (As of today)

I highly recommend Frank, he is a stand up guy. Even before today it was great talking and having my car dyno'd by him.

Here is my before graph from 2 weeks ago.. pretty damn strong for oem headers..

This is today with no change in parts just tuned by Frank Smith...HOLY :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: The bottom line is the baseline today before the custom tune, the top line is after the tune... Gains all though out the RPMs!!!

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (4/24/2013) OEM 18 wheels with tires/DA Polisher/Camera

My front tires were in bad shape on my OEM 19's and I was planning on buying 2 Pilot Super Sports to replace them but a forum member offered me a set of OEM 18's with tires for a price I couldn't refuse. Wheels are in pretty good shape, slight curbage nothing serious. Tires have a lot of life but are on the cheap side. Doesn't matter got a great deal and I have 2 set of wheels now.

These wheels/tires have a smoother ride than my 19's, I assume because of the larger side wall. Also I do not rub with these wheels/tires, my previous set up rubbed on the passenger rear during hard acceleration.

On to the pics, haven't been cleaned yet. I plan to hit them with Sonax and some clay.

I also picked up a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital with some pads, compound, polish, MF towels. Don't know when I will have time for a detail/paint correction but will post before/after and 50/50 pics. Very excited to see the results!

Finally I picked up a Nikon DSLR camera so I can take some real pics. Hopefully this will be the last of the iphone pics. I need to get up to speed fast so I can start doing some photoshoots

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (5/4/2013) Paint Correction/Detail

I finally had some time this weekend to get to detailing my car and use the new Griot's 6" DA Polisher I bought. Let me say that this was the most time and effort I put into cleaning a car but the results are great! I still see some imperfections but I didn't use the most aggressive pad and polish since this is the first time I am doing a paint correction, next time I will step it up a notch.
                      I couldn't really get any good 50/50 shots since the lighting situation in my garage but let me tell you there was a difference.

Shout out to Phil and Detailers Domain for supplying some of my products. :hattip:

Exterior

Wheels cleaned and clayed
                      Tires cleaned and dressed
                      Exhaust tips polished
                      Engine bay cleaned and dressed
                      Exterior trim dressed
                      Washed
                      Clayed (windows and wheels also)
                      Washed again
                      Dried
                      Polished
                      Waxed

Interior

Vacuumed
                      Trim cleaned
                      Leather cleaned and conditioned
                      Interior windows cleaned

Products used

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
                      Off brand bug and tar remover
                      Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
                      Meguiar's Quik Detailer Spray
                      Meguiar's Clay Bar
                      Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 205 Ultra Finishing Polish
                      Meguiar's Ulitmate Liquid Wax
                      Meguiar's Ulitmate Quik Wax
                      Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
                      Gliptone Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
                      Mothers Back To Black
                      Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss
                      Rain X Glass Cleaner

Tools used

Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
                      Craftsman 5hp 12 gallon shop vac (vacuuming and blow drying)
                      Uber Super Drying Microfiber Towel
                      Grit Guard
                      Craftsman roller seat
                      Various brushes
                      3M and Frog Painters Tape
                      Meguiar's microfiber towels
                      Lake County foam pads

Before

During.. all prepped up

Craftsman Roller Seat and Shop Vac.. made life much easier

Uber Super Drying towel... also a must

After

Enjoy! :thumbsup:
                      Build///Journal

Comment

Update (5/7/2013) Detailing continued

I did the exterior trim (Gills/Grills) and engine bay with Mothers Back to Black today. Took all about 15 minutes.

Some pics

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (5/18/2013) Valve adjustment

Had member Dafoe (Dave) come by this morning for my valve adjustment. I had 18 out of 24 valves out of spec... I was a little surprised. They were slightly out of spec but still.. Dave said he believes this is the first time my car has had it's valves adjusted.

Now to the bad news... not happy at all. Broken hub! :thumbsdown::facepalm:
                          It could have been much worse I know but still not very happy right now. We believe the broken tab is still lodged in there.. see pics. I already started buying some parts,

OEM hub from member Coinage (Matt) thanks man hope this one doesn't break.
                          Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Oil Pump Disk
                          Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit
                          Vanos Gasket

Hope Dave can get this squared away for me next week. I think he is going to start a more detail thread on this..

Broken hub

Broken Tab

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (5/20/2013) Vanos Repair Parts

Almost all parts for the fix have came in.. Just waiting on my Dr. Vanos updated cam bolts.

Valve Cover Gasket - Tisher and Vanos Gasket - BMW of Fairfax

Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit - Beisan Systems

Oil Pump Disk - Beisan Systems

Hub - OEM

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (5/25/2013) Broken Exhaust Hub Fixed

I had Dave come back today to finish up my broken hub. Parts that were changed:

OEM Exhuast Hub
                              Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Oil Pump Disk
                              Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit
                              Dr. Vanos Cam Bolts
                              Valve Cover Gasket
                              Vanos Gasket

That broken tab was stuck in there pretty good, still can't believe how my engine didn't blow... Really lucky.

Damaged OEM Oil Pump Disk

Broken Hub.. tab is in the bottom left next to the chain

Broken Tab Closer View

New Cam Bolts Going In

I stopped taking pics of the fix after that. Dave has a detailed thread that he will update on the fix later. Link:

But I did do a mini photo shoot..

Dave's car is :drool: Believe it or not the car is quieter and pulls harder.

Link to the photo shoot thread:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...4#post15454864
                              Build///Journal

Comment

Update (8/4/2013) Wash and Pics

The wife and I are expecting our first baby this week so I figured I give the M a good wash, take her for a spin, and take some pics. Not sure when I will get the next opportunity. It was great weather here today so that helped.

Build///Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X