KhanArt's Jet Black///Cinnamon 6spd E46 M3 build journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update (8/24/2013) Vanos Relearn

Had my vanos relearned via Autologic tool and then driving on the interstate a shredded tire took out my passenger side fog light cover :banghead:

If anyone has one let me know.. otherwise it's cheap and I'll order one.

Also looking for a set of OEM headers with good cats locally if someone is willing to part with them.

Thanks
    2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
    Build///Journal
    IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Update (8/30/2013) Misc Parts & Detailing Supplies

Ordered some misc parts that I needed or wanted off my list. Ordered the "Short" style center console with armrest delete and euro tray. My console now was showing it's age so I plasti dipped it but wasn't satisfied with the results so this was perfect and also will eliminate the armrest in the process.

I also purchased some OEM 18's not too long ago that were in decent shape but the center caps could use some help so I bought the new updated center caps.

Finally I lost my passenger side fog light cover on the interstate when a piece of a shredded tire that I couldn't avoid took it out. I think that was the extent of the damage. Picked up a replacement.

Hopefully I can find some time soon to slap all these on. I will post before and after pics once installed.

I also picked up some more detailing supplies. I'm trying to move away slowly from off the shelf products to slightly better quality products. Excited to try the 1Z Cockpit cleaner, Wolfgang paint sealant, and the S100 wax which is basically the same thing as P21s. Thanks to Drew "Boomersooner523" for the tips. I will make a detailed post whenever I get a chance to do a full detail/correction.

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (9/2/2013) Short Center Console/Armrest Delete with Euro Tray, Updated Center Caps, and new Fog Light Cover

Installed the short center console/armrest delete with euro tray that I received this past week. I love the clean look and added room. Next for the interior will probably be Alcantara shift and E-brake boots.

Old vs. New

Before

After

I installed my updated BMW center caps. Much cleaner now.

Old vs. New

Finally installed passenger side fog light cover. I lost my previous one on the interstate by road debris, luckily that was the only damage.

Before

After

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (9/8/2013) Detail/Paint Correction

I ordered some new supplies taking the suggestions I got from Drew and other members on M3F. (Dawn, Wolfgang, S100, prewax cleaner, ect..)

And I finally had some time this weekend to get to detailing/correcting my car and use the new products I bought.

Exterior

Wheels cleaned
          Tires cleaned and dressed
          Exhaust tips polished
          Washed
          Clayed
          Washed again
          Dried
          Compound (machine)
          Sealant (machine)
          Wax (hand)

Interior

Vacuumed
          Trim cleaned

Products used

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
          Griot's Garage Green Wheel Cleaner
          Dawn Hand Soap
          Griot's Garage Bug and Smudge Remover
          Meguiar's Quik Detailer Spray
          Meguiar's Clay Bar
          Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 105 Ultra Cut Compound
          Griot's Garage Pre Wax Cleaner
          Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
          S100 Paste Wax
          1Z Cockpit
          Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss
          Rain X Glass Cleaner

Tools used

Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
          Craftsman 5hp 12 gallon shop vac
          Uber Super Drying Microfiber Towel
          Grit Guard
          Craftsman roller seat
          Various brushes
          Meguiar's microfiber towels
          Lake County foam pads

Sorry no pics right now... :censor: I was working on and off the whole weekend on this and now it is too dark for pictures. I still need to vacuum and finish waxing. Hopefully I will all be done soon and edit this post with after pictures. The before wasn't bad at all. This is prep for hopefully making it to next weekend's Mpact show.
          Build///Journal

Comment

Finally some pics from this weekends Mpact show, aren't the best but you get an idea of the detail job.

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (10/19/2013) Trans Fluid and Header Install :clap:

Had access to a lift so I wanted to get my trans fluid out of the way while doing other work. I'm kicking myself for not getting a fuel filter in time. Used the BMW MTF LT2. Very easy job if you have a lift and breaker bar.

MTF Fluid Change DIY:

MTF LT2

Drain and Fill plugs Removed Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, left the DSLR in the car that was up on the lift :facepalm:

I got myself a set of Active Autowerke CSL rep headers. These things are beautiful! Thick flanged, great fitment, clearances, and good sound. I had a very quiet exhaust setup before but this added some tone and bought some rasp back. I had no rasp at all before. I gained a good amount of hp and tq on the low end. Big thanks as always to Dave for helping me with the headers... actually he did all the work :shifty: I just assisted. And of course big thanks for Frank for always going the extra mile making sure my tune is right and the crack chicken.

Will take some videos of the sound when I get a chance.

Headers Removed

The Freak

The Headers and Some Hardware

Installed and Clearance Pics

Build///Journal

Comment

Update (10/26/2013) Misc Pictures

Some pics of those bad boy Active headers hiding back there. I would do the SAP delete now but don't want the CEL light, so I will wait until I can make it over to Frank's. Need to order the block off plate too.

Some random pics of my garage.. it's no Doctor Evil garage but it's a work in progress.

Wheels are for sale BTW.. OEM 19's powder coated Gloss Black no rash at all

Picked up 2 upper timing chain tensioner guides for myself and Dave. Will change this next time I have her all open.. since these seem to be a common failure.
                Build///Journal

Comment

Update (12/20/2013) Misc Parts/Items

This thread needs an update...

Bought some parts/items and hope to knock all if not most of this out this weekend.

Oil, oil filter, drain plug, o rings, vanos filter kit, SAP block off plate

CPV O rings from member Mpower22, M stripes from member Rovert, fuel filter, headlight lens

Not sure if I will do the SAP delete, CPV O ring, and M stripes this weekend but would like to get the rest done.
                  Build///Journal

Comment

Update (12/21/2013) Oil Change, Vanos Filter, MAF Sensor Cleaned

I found a little time this weekend to get started on the parts/items I had stacking up.

I was able to complete:

Oil Change

Vanos Filter

Before

After

Clean MAF Sensor

Hopefully on my next day off I can do the fuel filter and put my new headlight lenses in.
                    Build///Journal

Comment

Update (12/28/2013) Upper Timing Chain Guide

I purchased these upper timing chain guides a little while back after I found out that these are a common failure on our cars. Too bad I discovered this after I already had my Beisan fixes/Hub repair.

Well I finally got around to having it installed and what do you know mine was broken at 53k miles, who knows when it actually broke. Hopefully I can put my vanos worries away for now.

Also I have little odds and ends (maintenance items/refresher items/mods) stacking up that I need to get installed. Hopefully I will have some time in the near future to install everything and have some more updates.
                      Build///Journal

Comment

Update (1/1/2014) Headlight Lens and Fuel Filter

Not the best picture :facepalm: but there is a big difference. I highly recommend changing the lens out. Looks really fresh and new now.

Old (Top) New (Bottom)

I also changed the fuel filter. Makes me really wish I had a lift every time I have to work under the car..

Filter Out

New Filter

Good DIY video of fuel filter replacement:

MClub.LA DIY Library: BMW E46 M3 Fuel Filter Change - YouTube
                        Build///Journal

Comment

Update (1/4/2014) M3F Member Calendar

Got 2 of the M3F member calendars in the mail today. One for my office and one for the wife. I need to submit my pictures to this next year :taser:

I also removed some stickers I had on my car today that were on from a show I went to last year.. automatic 5whp loss :shifty:
                          Build///Journal

Comment

Update (1/5/2014) Coby Alcantara Shift and E-Brake Boots

I just installed the Coby black alcantara tri M stitch shift and e-brake boots. Love them!

Next is the wheel, with blue track attack stripe or not??
                            Build///Journal

Comment

Update (1/19/2014) BW Intake Elbow and TTFS AIT Relocation Kit

This will have to do until I get a CF airbox

BimmerWorld Intake Elbow

Stock Vs. BW

Installed (Crappy pic)

Tuning Tech Frank Smith AIT Relocation Kit

*I am not expecting any gains from these modifications
                              Build///Journal

Comment

Minor Update (2/17/2014) Misc OEM Parts

My quest continues to restore this car to OEM Plus status. Picked up a few parts which I probably didn't need but the cost wasn't great so I replaced them.

Cabin Filter Cover New on top old on bottom

Hood Grille New on top old on bottom

Key Emblems

Really hoping for winter to be over soon so I can have some real updates on here.
                                Build///Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X