KhanArt's Jet Black///Cinnamon 6spd E46 M3 build journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Update

First pic before then current pics. Removed the bottom half built in wall shelfs and replaced them with a 61 inch Husky tool box and work bench.

Painted the peg board black on the work bench to match tool box. Also bought a butcher block counter, cut it to size and sealed it to match my tool box.

I'm loving how far the garage has come. Still need a lift.

Last edited by KhanArt; 05-07-2020, 08:22 AM.
    2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
    Build///Journal
    IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Update: 4/25/20 Brake System Overhaul

Finally installed the Porsche 996 calipers that I have been rebuilding off and on for a while.

These were long overdue. Power bleeder is a must. Some pictures I took along the way.

Stock E46 M3 complete brake system for sale. Calipers, brackets, and lines have 69k. Rotors and pads like new. Let me know.

Last edited by KhanArt; 05-07-2020, 08:48 AM.
      Build///Journal

Comment

Just added the E30 M3 to my BMW Heritage Racing Collection.

Last edited by KhanArt; 05-07-2020, 08:53 AM.
        Build///Journal

Comment

Build///Journal

Comment

Originally posted by KhanArt View Post

Money shot!
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Money shot!
              Thank you Sir! And again for the help with the brakes.
              Build///Journal

Comment

Update: 5/04/20 Paintless Dent Removal (Round 2)

I previously had PDR done years ago but over the years I acquired a few more dings. So I bought a PDR kit off Amazon and gave it a shot.

So it got one ding out on the very first shot. The other two I ended up stretching the metal and pulling the ding out too far. Moral of story if it's a beater or large dents/dings sure give it a shot. If it's very small dings on a car your really care about, let the pro's handle it because you can pull the ding out too far.

So I took it to the best PDR shop near me and had them fix my expensive mistake. First time some one has touched my car besides myself in probably 5 or 6 years! I have trust issues.

Build///Journal

Comment

Update: 5/08/20 Beauty Bolts/Washers

I purchased a complete set of beauty bolts/washers for my E46. I'm all about the little details and "everything is important".

However the purist in me is saying leave it stock. The customizer in me is saying yes "OEM Plus" and "Restomod".

It's easily reversible so I might just run with it and switch back if I change my mind.

I had the same delima when I recently purchased a complete white interior LED light kit for my car including glove box and trunk bulbs. I sold those without installing them since the bright white leds would loose the period correctness of the car.

Fine line I'm trying to balance...

Build///Journal

Comment

Update: 5/15/20 Detail Part 1

Over the past few years I guess from poor technique and/or dirty towels I introduced a lot of light scratches and swirls on my paint. I've done a paint correction in the past and really did not want to invest that much time so I opted for a one step polish to get the the light scratches and swirls out.

Here is what I have done so far:

Wash
                    Autoscrub fine
                    Wash
                    Polish
                    ISO alcohol wipe down
                    Sealant

I also did a engine bay detail.

I have stopped now since I bought coating and waiting for it to arrive. I should have waited on applying sealant as now I will have to strip it most likely then apply the coating. After the coating is applied I can add sealant and wax on top.

I also need to do the interior and hoping to give the wheel wells and undercarriage a light cleaning. So more to come.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. Will take better pictures when all done.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j3F3m7]/url]*

Last edited by KhanArt; 06-04-2020, 08:34 AM.
                    Build///Journal

Comment

Awesome, in the middle of polishing as well! And I need PDR, but I will call a pro. What menzerna is that?
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        Awesome, in the middle of polishing as well! And I need PDR, but I will call a pro. What menzerna is that?
                        I used Meguiar's 205 until it ran out then finished the rest of the car with Menzerna SF 4000, both polishes. I may try Sonax perfect finish next time as I finished my 205 and the Menzerna is super old..

Yes I try to learn and DIY everything as my skills and tools increase but learn from me, don't PDR your M3 lol. On your daily or beater sure.
                        Last edited by KhanArt; 05-20-2020, 09:13 AM.
                        Build///Journal

Comment

Update: 5/23/20 and 5/27/20 Wheel Wells and Ceramic Coating

I've NEVER cleaned wheel wells before. This is a new level of crazy for me. Raised the front up a hair while I was at it, It was a bit too low.

Finished ceramic coating the car with CQ.UK 3.0.

Too soon for me to say if coating is something this car needs since it's garage kept and doesn't see much miles but it looks great. I put Jescar Power Lock sealant on top of the coating, followed by Bead Maker spray sealant for a final topping. I skipped Collinte 845 this time.

Paint is not perfect but for 16 year old original black paint it's not bad at all. It's good enough for me. I wasn't aggressive this time. I'll revisit the paint in 6 months to a year and use a more aggressive pad/product combo.

Now interior, wheels, tires, calipers, and undercarriage left...

Build///Journal

Comment

Update: 6/1/20 and 6/3/20 Painted interior trim

I painted my interior door grab trim. Not 100% but MUCH better than it was before. Especially considering I've been driving around with the eye sore trim for almost a decade. I originally wanted to do a color change and repaint all of the trim. I have too much going on now so only focusing on the damaged trim until I'm motivated to redo everything.

I had some paint left over from my trim restoration so I decided to do my lower steering wheel trim also. Damaged area now repaired and I like the two tone look. I ordered a new M badge which has not arrived yet. In the future I would like to do a color change on all the interior trim.

Build///Journal

Comment

Gave this turd a polish.

It can get better but not trying to put any more level of effort into this right now. I'm going to display on the wall. Not putting this on the car.

Build///Journal

Comment

I really need to update this..

Around 4 months ago I bought a 2003 E39 540i M Sport and that has been getting most of my attention recently. Hopefully I'll update both journals soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Build///Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X