No announcement yet.

My Slow Burn (E46 M3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While swapping in a new Champion H5 battery over the weekend, I got a real good look at my battery tray. Should I be at all concerned with the current look of this area, or is this par for the course? Wondering if I should look into any sort of rust treatment/prevention or leave it, as is?

Also, unsure what my options are with that hole. Is this hole a result of doing what post #15 from this thread says? And if so, does that mean I can plug that up with the plug also referenced in post #15 (#41007140847)?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	51080321147_0d6af07752_z.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	95096

Name:	51011043850_402685df03_c.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	95097

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
    2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
    My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Decided to yank the aFe stage 2 intake out of my M3 while I await the arrival of the Karbonius CSL style intake. Gives me a chance to sell the aFe and also get a good look at what I may need to replace in the engine bay while I'm in there. I have a For Sale thread if anyone's interested in it.

I still need to do the brake fluid and start on the cooling system, finding time is the issue right now. Maybe tomorrow night. Cheers!

2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

Comment

It’s pretty easy to pull that entire black bracket from the tray and clean up any rust in there. Then hit it with some converter and paint.

For the plug if you measure the size it’s a lot easier to try and match it up in RealOEM.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
          It’s pretty easy to pull that entire black bracket from the tray and clean up any rust in there. Then hit it with some converter and paint.

For the plug if you measure the size it’s a lot easier to try and match it up in RealOEM.
          I ended up ordering a new bracket, among other things, from FCP. Should be here in the next few days, so I'll remove the battery and the existing bracket and get that all cleaned up and ready for when the new parts show up. Thanks!

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Continued the Spring of Service by flushing the brake fluid and replacing with Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid.

Also removed the front lip to re-fit it better, as I was never 100% happy with how I installed it.

Name:	51105450758_8d95e7e114_c.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	98351

Name:	51105455351_90bb530ed8_c.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	98352

While the wheels were off for the brake fluid flush, I took that opportunity to try and bring some life back to the fender liners. Horrible lighting led to some crap photo quality, but you get the idea.

Before:

After:

Name:	51105445636_948f1cb38e_c.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	98353

I used Adam's Rubber & Tire Cleaner along with a tuff shine tire brush, followed up by Meguiar's M39 Mirror Glaze Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner and the tuff shine tire brush. Wiped off with clean microfiber towels, then applied Solution Finish, waited roughly 2 minutes to let it set, then wiped off with microfiber towels. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

Next up is getting my battery tray/compartment squared away. My order from FCP should arrive in the next couple of days, so I'll remove the battery and existing tray and start cleaning out that area to see what I'm really working with.

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Now that my FCP order arrived, I got to work on the battery compartment. After removing the black tray (but before cleaning), this is how things looked:

After vacuuming up the area, then following with some all-purpose cleaner and towels, this is how it currently looks:

I'm debating next steps now. Leave it, as is, or get rid of ALL rust.

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Happy to report that the unexpected battery compartment/tray rust project is now complete. Using a combination of wire brushes, wire wheels, roloc abrasive discs, sand paper, dremel grinding bits, POR-15 starter kit, Rust-Oleum Coastal Grey Satin Protective Enamel and patience, I was able to achieve this final result (with brand new OEM battery tray installed):

I just need to add the 2 plugs (the original ones I ordered were the wrong size, so new ones should be arriving today) and this project will be 100% complete and in the rear-view!

Pretty pumped that the Coastal Grey Rust-Oleum Satin Protective Enamel topcoat did a fairly good job of matching the existing grey in that area! Again, NOBODY will ever see this, so it was more for me, but I'm happy with how it came out. Here are some progress shots I took (excuse the crappy lighting) along the way:

After POR-15 Cleaner/Degreaser and Metal Prep:

After 2 coats of POR-15 Rust Preventive:

After 2 coats of aforementioned Rust-Oleum Coastal Grey Topcoat:

A reminder of before/after:

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                    Looks fantastic!
                    Thank you!

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Looks great. Do you happen to have the plug part numbers? I need some too. Thanks

Comment

Really nice work. I need to do mine too. Any idea how water/moisture is getting in there?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                          Looks great. Do you happen to have the plug part numbers? I need some too. Thanks
                          Thanks, man! Part #: 41007140848 (20mm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                            Really nice work. I need to do mine too. Any idea how water/moisture is getting in there?
                            Thank you! I’m not entirely sure, but I’m willing to bet it happened before I bought the car. I know people have mentioned that the tail light gaskets can leak. But I’m willing to bet it was probably caused by the battery leaking at some point.

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post

Thanks, man! Part #: 41007140848 (20mm)

Thanks brother. I guess I’ll need two for the battery side

Comment

It has FINALLY arrived!!!! And it's even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined!

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Working...
                                X