Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyler's 04 slicktop 6spd Silvergrey MCS/Brembo/CSL/Karbonius/Nogaros/Supersprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That airbox is a god damned piece of art.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

Comment

Love this build!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Soon after, was the BMW Mpower decal (Ebay decal guy). I didn't put it on immediately, but it felt unfinished, so I wanted to add it:

Then I learned that the earlier cars actually got a different (non-Castrol) oil filler cap which I though looked better, plus new is nice! You can see the nice new ///M engine emblem as well:

Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-09-2020, 11:31 PM.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Glad to see this thread back. Great upgrades and excellent attention to detail. Keep up the good work!
          TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

When I was young and inexperienced I was dreaming about LSB, IR and PY m3, but now steel gray and silver gray are by far my favorite colors. I also love black but it is just impossible to keep clean.
            T do you have fog lights delete on a regular bumper or I am missing something?

Comment

Yes I did. I've put them back in recently actually. It'll be a while before my journal gets there :/

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
              Glad to see this thread back. Great upgrades and excellent attention to detail. Keep up the good work!
              Thanks Gary!
              Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-06-2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

So just a month later, some 4.10s showed up in the classifieds. Hot off the airbox purchase, I guess I was in "fuck it" mode. I guess I don't have any pics really, just this one of undoing the propshafts and driveshaft. Dropped with a jack stepping it down and out of the subframe. Not too bad actually.

The gears are a riot, but I started to not like them, then couldn't stand them. Made me lazy. The car was faster in general, but there were plenty of times where I was slower at first because I would have downshifted, if not for the 4.10s. Oh well, I tried it.

In the meanwhile, I swapped my og sorza with my friend for his stock muffler with eurosport 3" tips. I wanted to enjoy the airbox! At this point, I still have the euro headers and catted sect 1.

January, 2018

M3F member ARM3D came over for an Evolve airbox install in his amazing, for those who remember, Interlagos zcp.

He took some cool shots of my car just in the driveway

A Dinan muffler popped up for sale and my friend who borrowed the scorza always like them so I grabbed it. The tips weren't great so I polished them like how Marc (GTfour) did his, completely. A real PITA lol. Used a drill with polish, used sand paper, whatever; that black coating was tough.

That's Mayhem, and he'll be your friend if you scratch him.
                Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-24-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

March 2018

M3F member Donutboi (John) hooked me up with his OE front bumper that was in much better shape than my original. I did a paint correction, but was unable to completely take care of all blemishes. Luckily, the worst is down low.

Also polished my chrome grille surrounds

Also got new OE AL corner and side lights, with stealth chrome bulbs (they flash amber).

Then I got some newer, clearer inner taillights to replace my originals that had spiderweb cracks and some cloudiness/yellowing (that I'm holding)

Replaced my old D/A pulleys with lightweight Rogue Engineering ones

Did a Mulholland Cyn (south) run with Good_M3 (old JB) & Imola_M3 (tiag) in April

In the Sunset neighborhood in my town at the right time

Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-24-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

April 2018

I found a used set of SSv1s and v1 "s" pipes with magnaflow 200 hfc welded in by Jack @ CPI from an M3F group buy back in the day. Got 18 new copper header nuts, and gaskets. I also got an OE EGR block off plate and deleted the SAP.

Down came the euro headers and cats. I loved them!

I cleaned up (wd-40 and scotch pad) the SS pipes 'cause I'm crazy. Also focused on where the pipes slip together, even chamfering/beveling the edge.

SSv1s in and new coolant hose ^ OE EGR block off and gasket v

Polished the heatshields quick and dirty

Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-24-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

This car makes me happy! Hoping mine can become 1/4 of what yours is today!

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
                      2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
                      My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
                        This car makes me happy! Hoping mine can become 1/4 of what yours is today!
                        Thank you so much, but I saw your journal; your car is very nice and you're doing it right!

May 2018

My (front) Konis (GC coilover conversion) were getting old, so I decided to get new ones, but also to rebuild the TMS street camber plates with new bushings (poly).

Started up front. Disassembled

Disassembled the plates

Wasn't much grease left in the radial bearings, and dirty to boot, so good time to repack them. Now yes, these are cheap, you could just buy news ones for low cost, but it's fun for me to rebuild things...

Cleaned

Repack. Spread it around, wipe off excess. I love this "loctite viperlube" synthetic for non high-heat application!

Like new!

Got new hardware, and here's the new TMS bushing for the camber plate

Used a BAV (big ass vice) to pop out the old & the new one in

Donzo

All back together. Still rocking the 440lb front eibach springs at this point. I use toilet fitting gaskets (lol!) as spring pads to reduce NVH a bit.

Back in

I actually forgot to cut the new bumpstop down (for lower travel), so I had to take it apart again doh!

Moved the rears to find this:

I wasn't the original buyer of the konis, so instead of trying any warranty, I just decided to buy new dampers. I actually tried to get some Dinan JRZs where I could repurpose my GC coilover hardware, but it didn't materialize. It did lead me down the path of flat ride and koni (dual tube) vs. Bilstein (mono) and analyzing spring rates. I decided to modify my hardware to fit Bilstein HDs (B6). More on that later. To start it though, I bought rear Bilstein shocks to replace the blown konis and took care of the fronts later which I'll document.

Back in with Bilsteins. Still 550lb Eibachs.

Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-24-2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Still May/June 2018

A friend bought us some leather ///M gloves. It's a little dorky, but man leather gloves on a leather steering wheel make for great grip. With the huge stock seats (and no lumbar), the extra grip is appreciated!

CSL/Mini H5 Bosch battery! 34lbs vs 60 iirc

Given that I'm at 175k and there was talk of vanos issues due to weak accumulators plus the old style vanos pipe being weak with only one attachment point, I bit the bullet and replaced both with OE BMW.

Accumulator in

With the line out, it's a great time to polish the vanos! (Well, besides taking the vanos off for rebuild)

New crush washers for banjo bolts

All done

Got a brand new SS Sport (Gen 2) muffler second-hand after that huge 50% off BF sale (2017)! What a beautiful piece!

So did a friend, who let me borrow his right before getting mine

At first, I was enamored with it, coming from the stock piece, but after a while I realized it has a bit too much drone; the sound is good, but a little boring; not much character. Also, it's not very loud. That might actually appeal to many people, but from my viewpoint, I either want a quiet muffler so I can enjoy the airbox in full or I want a pretty loud muffler to enjoy. A valved sys is probably best for our changing moods lol.

I love this muffler though, really miss it. I wish I could take the 2.5", sound and volume from scorza and merge it with the quality and finish of the SS!

How can you say no to tips like these?

Yes, SS is a true 60mm OD (2.37"). It steps up to 2.5" OD at the slip fit connection to go over sect 2.

Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-29-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Beautiful car. I love the growl of the airbox in between shifts... so tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              Thanks guys!

Then I learned that the earlier cars actually got a different (non-Castrol) oil filler cap which I though looked better, plus new is nice! You can see the nice new ///M engine emblem as well:

[/SIZE]
                              Think I may be stealing this idea from you! I had no idea about this until seeing your post. 👍

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
                              2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
                              My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
                                Beautiful car. I love the growl of the airbox in between shifts... so tempting.
                                Thanks! Do eet.

Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post

Think I may be stealing this idea from you! I had no idea about this until seeing your post. 👍
                                Ya I stole it from another! Little things...

June 2018

I had gone back to a mostly stock shifter setup, but it still felt too notchy. I entertained the idea of putting the stock "broomstick" back in for better leverage, but didn't like how lightweight that knob is, esp after getting used to the ZHP. I also really didn't like the silver ring of the ZHP and how stubby it is. Can't remember where I saw it, but I decided on knob #25117896884, which is almost identical to stock, esp its height, but no boot attached and weighted (slightly more than ZHP).

Before:

New knob OE BMW 25117896884

Compared to ZHP:

I also got a new euro tray due to scratches on the other and in the little tray behind:

Everything as it is now:

Alcantara boot is from ZHP 330i. Trim is from 2000/1 LSB "piano black." Ebrake is Coby Wheel "alcantara" to match, due to 330i alcantara boot being NLA

I even put one in my 2012 128i I love it so much! Plus alcantara "performance" boot.

I also decided to polish the trim. After removal, you might find dirt or dust, so I clean/dress the plastic/vinyl underneath

I polished 2 step, fine polish, then an even finer plastic specific polish

Came out great! Luckily no big scratches anyway.

Back in

The 3rd brake light trim was bothering me as well, so I decided to see if I could disassemble and clean:

The cover just pops out with plastic rivets just like the door cards:

The fabric at the edge was peeling just like our pillars, so I nipped it in the bud with some super glue gel along the back edge line:

The light unit needs to be unplugged and "released." Cleaned/dressed it:

Back in:

Last edited by Tbonem3; 05-13-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X