Liam821's e46 324i k24/dct/turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liam821's e46 324i k24/dct/turbo build

I'm finally getting around to really starting this project, and no better start than to make a build journal.

Let's just get the elephant in the room out of the way. 324i? Yeah, this is going to be something a bit different. Yes, it's a sedan, and no it won't be powered by a BMW engine - perhaps the 24 will give you a hint as to what will come. This won't be everybody's bag, but hopefully, you'll will enjoy it anyway.

It all started when I bought this gem on Facebook Marketplace for $600 from a guy up in Washington about a year ago. A clean title 2003.5 e46 325i manual with 106k original miles. It had blown head gasket and the previous owner thought he could fix it and pulled the engine. After he got the engine apart I think it turned into a larger project than he thought it would be and it sat for many months.

Clean body, no accidents. The interior is clean, but was smoked in and stinks. I'm planning on ripping all that out anyway...

Since I had no intentions of using the stock engine anyway, having it already pulled was one less thing I had to do. I also didn't need the manual transmission so I was going to sell all that and basically get myself a free car...although that didn't exactly happen like that. The seller included three big bins full of misc e46 parts.

About 8 months later ANOTHER 325i popped up on Facebook Marketplace. Literally an almost identical spec 2004 325i but automatic. The seller was a girl that had bought it from a friend of a friend with a bad auto transmission. She was going to turn it into a drift car but life happened and it sat for months. $1200 later it was mine. This one was _very very_ clean, non-smoking, clean title, 165k miles. Started and runs fine but did not move. You'll should be thanking me, this is the 2nd e46 I've saved this year!

You can guess where this is going. I pulled the manual transmission, rear diff, clutch pedal (we don't need it where I'm going), and driveshaft out of the 2003.5 and swapped it into the 2004. New clutch, rear main seal, and some new suspension bushings later, and the 2004 is back on the road!

The getrag manual

First drive!

The 2004 325i now manual was a Christmas present to my daughter. She's been busting butt in school and mom and I are super proud of her. The e46 will be her first car, no better way to introduce her to the world of driving than in an e46! So she too can experience the love-hate relationship of e46 ownership.

Anyway, back to the now more stripped 324i content.

Jumping forward a few more months...a huge delivery came!

BARELY fit in the back of our X5

What could it be you say??

It's an e92m3 DCT. Out of a 2013 M3 with 34k miles. The owner spun a rod bearing and was going to LS/manual swap it.

A few weeks later a box from SeemsLegitGarage came in the mail. Inside was an e46 DCT transmission mount and FINALLY the Adamat DCT adapter!

I was going back and forth between Adamat and Domi-Works Engineering for the dct adapter, but after having emailed back and forth with SeemsLegitGarage and their amazing customer support, plus a few recommendations, I went with SLG and Adamat.

Sprung disk to help with engine harmonics so you don't damage the DCT clutch basket

Billet Adapter plate

That's right, Honda k20/k24! After going back and forth on what motor I wanted to use the Honda came out on top. The shortlist was a turbo Honda k24, BMW s85 v10, or the BMW s58. The s58 is a very complicated motor and is extremely expensive. The s85 would have been fun, but the packaging is difficult, parts are expensive, and it's been done. The k24 is light, 275 pounds, cheap under $1000 all day long, huge aftermarket, and you can easily make as much HP as you want. An unopened stock k24 with a few bolt-ons can make ~270-280whp NA, just a few ponies behind the s54 for 1/6th the price and at half the weight.

I picked up a k24a1 off Facebook Marketplace for $100 to use as a mock-up engine. The seller said "it was running but then it wasn't. Something is wrong with the timing chain." Whatever it was ridiculously cheap and I'm just using it for mockup to design engine mounts. I'll pull the motor apart and sell off anything thats good when I'm done with it.

The transmission is bigger than the engine!

Okay so enough mystery, here's the plan:

Going to be your basic Honda k24a2 build, ~10.5:1 css sleeved block/rod/piston shortblock. Aftermarket valve springs and maybe cams. Max 9000-9500rpms. Some sort of turbo, currently on the BorgWarner EFR 8374 (~80 lb/min 500-800hp rated) train. The aim is 600-700whp. A Maxxecu pro will control the engine and the e46 canbus systems, so the stock e46m3 gauge cluster, cruise control, a/c, dsc, etc will all continue to work as expected. The Maxxecu will also talk to the bmw dct tcu mechatronics, so I won't need to run a HGT or another aftermarket dct controller.

As for the rest of the car, the e46 part, it will get the full M3 treatment. M3 fenders front and back, M3 front and rear bumpers, headlights, interior bits, and a slicktop. E46m3 rear subframe, LSD, front and rear suspension/arms/etc. I'm going to be selling my Pheonix Yellow e46m3 which I'll return to stock and will be keeping my FA Muller suspension and brake setup for the 324i. I also still have LOTS of e46m3 parts from my old Interlagos car as well, sensors, brake stuff, wiring, SMG pedal setup, a/c parts. You name it, I probably have it. I'll be painting it a different color as well but not sure what yet...suggestions?

Even though the transmission is extremely heavy at 175 pounds I'm hoping I can get the whole car to around 3000 pounds.

This is going to be my street car, not a race car. Although I'd be interested in taking it to some 1/2 mile/roll racing events. I already have a time-attack race car so I don't think this will see any track time (he says now).
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Here are some heartbreaking pictures of stripping my old Interlagos car for body panels and parts. At the time these were taken (~July 2020), I wasn't sure which chassis I wanted to do so I pulled off the slicktop roof in addition to the only good rear quarter panel.

My girls and wife stripping parts

The cutting starting

On the way to the great crusher in the sky

​
    The rear fender will be used for the 324i. The coupe and sedan have different roofs, so I guess I can finally throw away the slicktop.

Comment

While I did the e60 M5 SMG knob in my old Interlagos e46m3 SMG, this knob below is actually out of an e92m3. I had an m3post forum member e90anthony (also @e90anthony on instagram if you want to get ahold of him) paint it gloss black and do a custom Alcantara boot mated to the standard e46 SMG ring so I can use the standard e46 SMG trim.

A few things I've learned:

Ignoring the wires, the knobs from the e60m5, e46m3 SMG, and e92m3 DCT are all interchangeable. You can modify the F10m5 leather boot to work with the e46 SMG ring pretty easily, but the e92m3 boot is completely different. So if you just want a leather boot e60m5/e92 style knob in your e46m3 SMG, stick to the e60m5 - It's way easier. There are some how-to's out there so when you turn on the lights the knob will illuminate.

I needed to use an e92m3 DCT knob because I'm swapping the whole drivelogic/gear selector. So I needed the e92m3 DCT knob's 10-pin plug which plugs into the drivelogic/gear selector.

Interestingly enough, the e92m3 drivelogic/gear selector bolts right to the e46 transmission tunnel using the same bolt pattern as the SMG gear selector which is the same as the non-m e46 auto gear selector. Makes my job easy!

If you want to check out some more of Anthony's work, click here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903328

Anyway, on to the pictures. Ignore my messy work-bench. Also, the SMG trim is just some old trim I had laying around. I'll get a new minty one for the new car.

For reference, my old Interlagos car which had an e60m5 SMG knob.

Here are some side-by-side e92m3 drivelogic/gear selector and the e46m3 SMG drivelogic/gear selector.

​

Comment

I dig it. I've been eyeing a similar swap for my '88 320i just to get a cheap approximation of the E30 M3 experience. Will be following to see how this goes on an E46.
        2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
          I dig it. I've been eyeing a similar swap for my '88 320i just to get a cheap approximation of the E30 M3 experience. Will be following to see how this goes on an E46.
          It's an easy swap in the e30 and there are also some off-the-shelf mount kits to make it easy. On the e46, the k24 oil pump is right where the steering rack wants to live. Apparently, you can use an Xi awd front subframe/suspension and it all fits nicely, but I want to run M3 front suspension/front subframe so I'm going to run a dry-sump oil system. At least that's the thought. Hopefully, I can get the engine in the car this weekend at which point I'll have a better idea of what I'm working with.

Comment

Cool build. Do you have any idea if the engine will clear the hood? K24 is pretty tall.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
              Cool build. Do you have any idea if the engine will clear the hood? K24 is pretty tall.

Yeah, it clears the hood fine. It's not like the s54 is short and both have about the same lean angle. Hopefully, I'll get the engine in the bay this weekend and can snap some pictures.

Comment

What engine mounts you are using?

Comment

any progress on this build?

Comment

Originally posted by pagan_eddie@yahoo.com View Post
                    What engine mounts you are using?
                    I'm going to scan the engine bay, the design my own in Fusion360.

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
                    any progress on this build?
                    You're in luck! YES!

Comment

Literally been a year. sigh. I've been so super busy the last year with other projects - really I've been working on my Time Attack race car and my daughters e46 so the k46 took a backseat.

My daughter's car, which looks identical to mine, got the manual transmission, axles, driveshaft, diff, pedals assembly, clutch, etc all out of mine since we won't be needing any of that stuff where we're going.

Car has been a shelf for the last year. Was missing it's rear subframe/axles/diff since I stole all those parts. My wife's i3s on the right there

Installed the subframe from my daugthers auto car so I could roll it around and finally I was able to extract the 325i out of the garage where it's been sitting for the last year and moved it into my shop. First light it's seen in a year!

e46 parking (my M3 and my daughters car)

I started pulling apart the interior. It's super gross

Apparently, we hosted a mice condo in the glove box. That's gonna go straight into the trash!

ew perhaps we'll replace all that stuff too. All straight into the trash

Previous owner was listening to the JAMS!

It's not in bad shape, has ~100k miles, but it just stinks. A mix of black ice tree car freshener, cigarette smoke, cologne, and dog. We'll see how much of the interior is salvagable

I've only done this now 5 times or so now. Dash is out!

Finally got the HVAC and everything else out

Next steps, gonna pull it out into the sun tomorrow and power wash the engine bay. We'll get it all cleaned up.

Honda k24a - this is just a mockup engine I bought it for $100, it's goodish, I think the timing chain guide broke and locked the engine.

This weekend I'm going to powerwash the engine bay and hopefully get the DCT mated to the k24 and stuff it into the engine bay and see what fits and what doesn't fit. I'm fairly certain I cannot use the stock k24 oil pan/oil pump with the e46 since it's a front sump engine and it wants to occupy the same space as the power steering rack. But, apparently, the k24 fits in an e36 without modification so who knows. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Once I get the engine in there I'll 3d scan the engine bay and build engine mounts in Fusion360 which I'll send off to send-cut-send to be made.

After I get the engine in its happy place, I'll start working on the exterior. I purchased all the body panels I need, e46 M3 front fenders, real quarters, OEM m3 hood, front and rear bumpers, etc. I'm not sure if I want to attempt the work, or if I want somebody else to do it yet. There is a guy I met on an e46 M3 Touring Facebook group who is willing to do the work for me but he's down in Southern California... We'll see if I can find somebody local, perhaps do it myself, or take it down south. I'm not sure. If anybody has any suggestions hit me up.

More to come!

Comment

Good to see you back on it!

Any concern the mice were eating the insulation on the wires above where they were sleeping?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          Good to see you back on it!

Any concern the mice were eating the insulation on the wires above where they were sleeping?
                          That is an excellent question. If there is any damage, I'll just replace the harness - I have a spare. Not worth trying to fix, I really don't want "electrical" issues later in life.

Comment

More work done today

Before cleaning

After cleaning! Simple green, pressure washer, and a lot of scrubbing

Let's get these two together!

Adamat adapter fits perfectly

Completely bolt-on process, everything fits perfectly

I got the engine on my engine lift but had family stuff so I wasn't able to get it into the car yet.

I also found out I'm missing the rear DCT transmission mount which I ordered today. Fingers crossed that the SLG dct transmission mount just bolts up and puts the engine in the right place.

Comment

First attempt, using the factory Honda K oil pan, hard nope. The engine sorta fits in there it has to sit on top of the steering rack, just doesn't work very well.

Pulled off the factory oil pump and oil pan...

Ahhh this is better. Fits very nicely now!

It's almost front mid-engine now!

Just over the steering rack about 10mm on the passenger side

Plenty of room for the stock e46 steering shaft

Stock HVAC air intake top fits nicely too

All the space for a nice turbo setup!

You might be thinking, but Liam, how is it going to work without an oil pump? I have a dry sump setup already for the K, but I might go with a wet sump but an external oil pump. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Doing a full dry sump system is a massive pita having to deal with a large external oil reservoir and dozens of oil lines all over the place.

I've already done a quick 3D scan of the driver's side area so I can start working on a motor mount design, just used Kiri Engine on my iPhone - works great! Not going to put too much effort into this until I finalize the engine placement, waiting on the transmission mount first.

Comment

Working...
                              X