03.5 LSB on LSB 6MT Restoration / Progress Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03.5 LSB on LSB 6MT Restoration / Progress Journal

Decided to spend the time to start a new build thread since I no longer have my old one.

I purchased this car from a friend who's owned it the last 5 years but didn't drive it much nor did he care for it aesthetically as he had a growing family. I decided to hit him up and see if he was interested in cutting it lose. We worked out a deal and the next day I took it home.

How I got it - cheap 19" wheels, magnaflow cat back and blown FK coilovers.

Refinished a set of square style 67 I've had the last 10 years to get around while I sold the wheels that came with it

Had the car re-tinted with full ceramic tint

Picked up KW Clubsports to replace the blown FKs

New steering wheel

New Avin headunit

Headliner re-done in alcantara

Interior trim done in Carbon Fiber

Interior completed for now - still have a bunch of little things to complete to bring it to my standards

Replaced the Magnaflow with a stock exhaust

Picked up a set of dream wheels for me - ACS Type 2 Racing in 19x9 and 19x10

Have the following parts waiting to go in;
    UUC SSK with DSSR
    996 Brembo all around

More to come..

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

With the car being 17 years old, it was starting to show it's age with rock chips and wear as you'd expect. So I contacted my body shop and asked to respray the front end and quarter panels but by the time I was done tearing it down, I made the decision of doing a respray as I wanted the paint to match entirely.

Ending up tearing the front and rear end down and put some parts back on with minimal hardware for ease of transportation. Once this was completed, I had the car towed to the shop.

Made my way down to check on the progress and try to get in any pics that I could. Wasn't able to make it down as much as I'd like as they had reduced hours due to COVID-19.

A couple weeks later I got the call to take the car home. So I drove down right away and had her towed home.

While I waited for a bunch of little parts to come in (door molding clips, side skirt clips, window trim, side markers etc), I cleaned the car up.

Refreshed the underside of the arm rest and installed new side mirror glass.

At this point the car is pretty much put back together so I cleaned the interior and washed the exterior. I still need to install some odds and ends but that will be done after a wet sand and polish.

Not posted is some maintenance I've completed over the last 8 months. This is where I'm at with the car, I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress since I've bought it in 09/19. I will continue to refresh the car as time goes on, below is what the current goal is;

-Paint and install BBK
    -Install UUC SSK and DSSR
    -Install back up camera
    -Purchase new floor mats
    -Refresh center console
    -Purchase new shift and handbrake boot
    -Purchase illuminated shift knob
    -RACP reinforcement and VANOS overhaul (next year)

Time to turn my attention to my daily driver and do some much needed maintenance! Thanks for reading this far - let me know what you guys think!

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

Nice journal car looks good.

Comment

Nice working bringing it back from the dead!

..... WTF happened to the original steering wheel!?

IMO the 18s were a better look than either 19.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          Nice working bringing it back from the dead!

..... WTF happened to the original steering wheel!?

IMO the 18s were a better look than either 19.
          Thanks! No idea how it got so bad! I think from sitting outside.

I’m keeping the factory 18s, I will have them redone in factory color and will mount a set of meaty tires so I can go between wheels.

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

Nice!! You decided to save the headache and paint the whole car, smart. This thing is going to break necks

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
              Nice!! You decided to save the headache and paint the whole car, smart. This thing is going to break necks
              I appreciate it man. I wasn't certain the color would match after all these years so for me it was the right move

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

curious which rear view camera kit do u have?

Comment

Nice work. What product did you use for repainting the black part of the armrest? Mine needs to be done as well.
                  '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                  '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                  '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                  '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

The M3 and daily look great!

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch55 View Post
                      curious which rear view camera kit do u have?
                      This one --> https://www.amazon.ca/COOLINT-CAM107...774642&sr=8-13

I'll post some pics once it's installed. It should look a little more factory than having a camera in the license plate light with mismatched license plate lights.

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
                        Nice work. What product did you use for repainting the black part of the armrest? Mine needs to be done as well.
                        Thanks! I used Rustoleum Flat Black Primer and Duplicolor matte clear to maintain durability. Keep in mind when you're sanding your arm rest, wet sand them. Dry sanding them gums up the sandpaper with the original material that's left over.

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Loopyspec View Post
                          The M3 and daily look great!
                          Thank you!

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

LSB looks amazing. LSB on LSB is even starting to grow on me.

Comment

Such a good interior man, can’t beat matching interior like that

Comment

Working...
                              X