E46 Clubsport Build - Spx Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 Clubsport Build - Spx Garage

I wanted to introduce myself over here after 10 years, 14+ BMWs & 3,000+ posts over on M3post/1Addicts/F80post etc.

I've spent the last 1.5yrs building a pretty fast E92 M3 and will be competing in BimmerChallenge, SpeedSF Challenge and some other West Coast Time Attack events. I'm really happy with the car right now, running 1:44's at Sonoma and 1:51's at Buttonwillow. I still need to find time to run T-Hill and Laguna to set times with the current setup.

Follow the journey here - https://instagram.com/spx.garage

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	219178

Now that the E92 is "done" 🤣 I decided that it was time to build a second dual duty car for my pops to get on track as he spends most of his free weekends helping in the pits, car setup, towing etc. Unfortunately manual wasn't an option for him so I picked up a 1 family owner, 100k mile SMG car - hoping we can make SMG work for casual HPDE but may 6spd swap it in the future.

So far the plans for the E46 are pretty standard, after the big 3 / standard reliability parts... We're going to start with slight weight reduction and power mods before a CSL style airbox & 3.91 LSD next year.

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	219179

Shaftworks Custom Coilovers
    GC camber plates / Eibach 550/850 rates
    AP 4pot Essex BBK
    Burkhart SMG Relocation Kit w/ custom cooling

Apex 18x10" w/ RE71RS 275/35/18
    - my dad will probably run some older NexenSur4G since he's new to the track and RE71RS are way too sticky to learn on.
    Turner LCAB
    GC Rear Trailing Arms
    Turner RTAB
    Condor Subframe Bushings

ECU Tune (leaning Epic)
    SMG CSL tune
    Turner Power Pulleys
    BW Intake Elbow
    BMC Air Filter
    Rogue Vanos Line

CPI Headers
    eBay Knockoff Muffler (-25lbs)
    CSF radiator
    Custom oil cooler
    Lithium battery (-30lbs)

Debating the best seat option that will fit us both 🤷‍♂️ (We need to test fit seats for a bigger dude 6ft/225lbs that also fit me at 6ft/170lbs... gonna swing by wine country MS to test some seats)

Can't wait to start another project! Feel like a total noob after 6+ years building and prepping only E9x/F8x track cars. In for all the feedback or suggestions on track mods.

If you can try an OMP WRC-R seat, it should fit both of you IIRC.
    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
      If you can try an OMP WRC-R seat, it should fit both of you IIRC.
      Nice! I've always run Sparco or Recaro but I've heard good things about those seats. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

Arbitrary post so that I can DM another user 😐

Comment

How many posts does one need to make before they can DM other users? Really need to grab some parts on the classifieds...

Radekxpl - can you ping me about those Subframe Bushings? Might have to message me on social media since I'm a noob on this forum (spent the last 8 years building E9x's)​
          Last edited by spx.garage; 05-26-2023, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Nick_P can you DM me? I'm interested in your Spal Fan setup but this forum won't let me post or DM you haha

Guess you could message me on Instagram or something until I'm allowed to message 🙄 spx.garage is my IG

Thanks!

Comment

First mods! Random muffler from my buddy (-30lbs) + lithium battery (-30lbs) + BW Intake elbow. RBs next week along with CPI headers, Shaftworks coilovers & all of the bushings.

Can't wait to get this on track, hope the SMG survives one HPDE with my pops (have a CAE sitting around as backup for manual swap) - shooting for a shakedown the first weekend in July! I'll likely install the burkhart SMG Relocation kit too

Name:	IMG_1562.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	219417

Honestly, have to say this car is pretty dang good even with the SMG... One question, is the fuel pump relay a common issue? It seems mine died (only code I'm getting) but I assume it's 100k miles old. New one is arriving on Tuesday​ but didn't see any other blown fuses or codes.

Name:	IMG_1500.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	219415

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	219414
              Attached Files

Comment

Well the car is sitting in the garage while I wait on the Fuel Pump Relay so I started to pull parts to access the headers, doesn't seem too tough (yet). I wanted to ask if any anyone had suggestions of critical relays to replace on a 100k mile E46?

Anyhow my pile of parts is starting to accumulate, here's the list of parts going on this week!

CPI Headers
                SMG relocation kit
                BW vanos line
                Shaftworks Coilovers
                Turner LCA Bushings
                BW Sport Engine Mounts
                ACL 0.025mm oversized Rod Bearings
                Condor Trailing Arm Bushings
                Fuel filter
                LSD/Trans/Brake flush

Over the next few weeks I'll get the Spal fan wired up & some sort of oil cooler setup (might just go plug and play with CSF) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	219709

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	219711
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by spx.garage View Post
                  Well the car is sitting in the garage while I wait on the Fuel Pump Relay so I started to pull parts to access the headers, doesn't seem too tough (yet). I wanted to ask if any anyone had suggestions of critical relays to replace on a 100k mile E46?
                  My M is a 10/01 build and I've owned it since 2004. Never had to replace a relay but have read the salmon relay for the SMG does like to eat itself. Mine is a 6MT so no data there....

Mike
                  02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                  11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                  16 X5

Comment

Originally posted by nuc1 View Post
                    My M is a 10/01 build and I've owned it since 2004. Never had to replace a relay but have read the salmon relay for the SMG does like to eat itself. Mine is a 6MT so no data there....

Mike
                    "Funny" enough, I bought the car on eBay and flew to Vegas to drive it home (Bay Area)... the salmon relay died within 5min of signing the title. Luckily the BMW dealer was 10min away and I swapped the relay & made it home without issue. Most stressful 9hr drive of my life haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X