Watch as I simultaneously improve and ruin my E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch as I simultaneously improve and ruin my E46 M3

Hey everyone, I'm Nate. I think this is a good time to start a build journal, I've been through kind of a lot with this car in the last 5 years and I've recently started to work on the next phase of its life as a track/canyon build.​ Here's how the car looks now. Well, actually it's on jacks in my garage. But you get the point.

NateHassler_E46M3_001 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Here's the first picture I ever took of it, right after it came off the transport truck back in 2018.

IMG_9317 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

For my first entry in the journal, I'm going to go over a brief history/intro of the car, what's been done to it already, and what the goals are moving forward.

The deets:
    2001 M3 coupe
    Mileage at time of purchase was about 85k, currently it has about 115k
    Black interior w/piano black trim
    Multiple accidents on carfax but clean title
    Midwest and east coast car.

My wife and I bought it together, sight unseen from a Craigslist ad and had it shipped to us. Not an advisable practice, BTW. Here's what the ad looked like:

E46_001 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

E46_006 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

E46_003 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

E46_004 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

E46_005 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Not so bad, right? Clean but not perfect, right? We paid $16k for the car, plus about $1600 for transport, a fee for the escrow service, and I paid $250 for a PPI. I thought we scored a killer deal!

Let's just say I was in for a surprise. As soon as it rolled off the transport I was just like ".........dude." At that point, I could (and arguably should) have just turned around and sold the car as is, taken the L, and bought an LCI west coast car. But I'm dumb and stubborn, and I didn't know very much about these cars at that time, so I dug my feet in and began to fight the car. It was also at this point that my wife was like, "...dude" and she wanted to sell it. But instead, I bought her out of the part she paid for it like a true gentleman, so my fate was officially in my own hands, and mine alone.

Now don't get me wrong, the car wasn't THAT bad. I'm a photographer and image retoucher by trade, so I'm pretty good at taking phone pics where you don't see the worst parts.

IMG_5639 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

IMG_9458 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

But it had some rust, a couple areas with peeling clear coat, dinged up interior, and a lot of other small-to-medium-to-major mechanical problems that were not mentioned by the seller at any point. The car was a 4 or 5 out of 10, and I thought I was buying more like an 8. I was also mad because I had had a PPI done by a "reputable" shop in upstate NY. They told me the car was fine, but what I didn't realize was, those guys are idiots. Any car where you can't see the asphalt through a hole in the floor would be "fine" by them. Lesson learned I guess right? If you want to buy a car long distance, GO SEE IT FOR YOURSELF FIRST.

Anyway. In spite of the flaws, I did actually really like the car right away. I knew it had what I wanted, but it would take a little to get there. One of my best friends is the owner of a shop called Bavarian Workshop up in North Hills, Marc is a true G and he helps me out A LOT with my cars. I brought the car to him the day after I got it, we put it up on the rack, and we both kind of did one of these.

Again, it wasn't THAT bad, but there was surface rust on everything pretty much. Mercifully, nothing too bad on the structural parts. Extremely annoying to see this as a west coast person though. Marc gave me a list of stuff to order and said to bring it all to his house and we would bang it out.

The very first things I had to address were new tires, new brakes, new front wheel bearings, and shocks and springs. ​

IMG_0479 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

IMG_0491 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

We also did fluid changes and sent off an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. The results came back and were pretty much "meh," the car had had the rod bearing recall performed, so I said whatever and just drove it around for about 2 years. It already had RACP plates, and eventually I did have the full VANOS rebuild done, and rod bearings done again at the same time. Originally I wanted to DIY those jobs, but I had no time or decent workspace at home at the time, so I ended up farming it out. Interesting factoid, my car does also have one of those replacement RACPs from back in the day in it. I don't have records of this or good pictures right now, we will come back to that whole subject later on. I digress.

Short list of failures since I've owned the car:

Alternator failed like a week after I got the car

IMG_9718 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Fuel pump died right in front of the Santa Monica Pier during rush hour (no pics, I was too busy trying to not get murdered)
    Coil packs left me stranded off Highway 33 for like 4 hours waiting for a tow

IMG_6037 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

IMG_9234 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Stock exhaust broke off at the section 1-2 junction due to rust LOL
    Another alternator because Bosch alternators are hot garbage
    And right now it also has ANOTHER over charging alternator, so I'm about to put the 3rd new one on the car in 5 years. Hopefully this will be the last one. I bought a Valeo unit this time.

Short list of mods:
    Bilstein B8 shocks w/Eibach lowering springs. Very good, easy and brainless setup for street driving.
    19" AC Schnitzer Type III wheels w/PS4s because they vibe harder than the stock 19s
    AFE cold air intake, makes a decent noise, CARB legal aka painless to own, bought used for cheap
    SuperSprint resonated section 2, Sport section 3, OEM dual resonated pipes combined to make a rasp eliminator section 1
    IMO the car sounds really nice for how much all that stuff costs and for being 100% CA emissions compliant. I have some videos with pretty decent sound I will share later.
    Rogue Engineering short shift, I've grown to like and appreciate this a lot, one of the only things I can thank the previous owner for
    Some sort of subframe and diff bushings, on the car when I bought it
    BimmerWorld engine mounts

Fun story time: Someone side swiped my car on Abbott Kinney. Then, before I had the chance to bring the car in, it got hit again across the rear. This was kind of a blessing in some ways, because I worked out a deal with my homie hookup body shop. Both accidents were minor, and I got a decent respray on the whole car for about $2500 out of pocket. They also fixed all the rust on the body which was GREAT. There were issues with the bill and with the timing, but I'm not going to go into that. It all worked out at the end of the day, and I was left with a car with 3 carfax accidents, new paint... But they forgot to do the roof. So it still has a fucking black roof. But yea ANYWAY, it's cool, I'm not annoyed by that, it's totally cool. Just take pictures from low angles.

E46_FitmentIssues_010 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

So that pretty much brings us up to date. My current mission as of November 2023 is to build this thing into a track car / canyon car, with some hardparking in there yea, not going to lie. I want it to look a certain way, so I'm doing some stuff pretty much just to satisfy that. I have tracked the car once in it's current state, and it needs everything lol.

I have a lot of track experience, but not a ton over the last year or two. My first goal is to go sub 2 at Buttonwillow CW13. I am confident I can make that happen with practice and patience.​ I think I went 2:08s or something useless like that on this day. Absolutely no brakes after 1 hot lap. Head touching the ceiling of the car. Stock seats are absolute trash. It was an informative day, I know what I need to start with to make the car do what I want.

IMG_3445 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

I'm doing a pretty decent interior makeover, suspension refresh, coilovers, wheels/tires and brakes, plus some exterior mods some people will hate. I really love the Ringtools people build for the Nürburgring, so I bought some of those aero parts purely because they look cool.

I'm doing the interior first, so that will be the focus of my next journal entry.

E46_Interior_Day_1_005 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Nate047; 12-01-2023, 12:58 AM.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Oh man I love those wheels, so goooooood
    Last edited by robgill; 12-01-2023, 07:04 AM.

Comment

looking forward to seeing the journey! more pics please!

Comment

excited to see the build progress! thanks again for the rear interior bits

Comment

I ain't gonna lie, I wouldn't buy a car from the Tri-State area if you paid me.

IDK how Rob does it, but he literally has a formula for spending on money on these heaps.

Nice to see the journal bruv.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I have a soft spot for ACS wheels and those type III look amazing on the E46 M3!

I really enjoyed the initial story, mishaps, and your decision to stick with it and to deep-dive into the restoration. Someone once posted in the forums "Be a good custodian" and that’s exactly what you're doing. Keep up the work and documentation, I will definitely be following along. I'd love to see the car in person one day.
            Last edited by Avedis; 12-02-2023, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
              Oh man I love those wheels, so goooooood
              Thanks! I also really love the period look of them. On the down side, they are very heavy.

'01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                looking forward to seeing the journey! more pics please!
                I have a few days this week and next, hoping to get the interior done and at least drop the suspension and make sure there are no extremely unpleasant surprises. I did discover some grime and residue near the fuel filter / brake lines under the car which is not great... Going to have to figure out how to clean that. It's worn off the coating of the car pretty badly in that area.
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
                  excited to see the build progress! thanks again for the rear interior bits
                  Hey man, glad to have them go to a good home! Share some pictures once you have it all set up.
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                    I ain't gonna lie, I wouldn't buy a car from the Tri-State area if you paid me.

IDK how Rob does it, but he literally has a formula for spending on money on these heaps.

Nice to see the journal bruv.
                    Yea man trust me, I won't do it again either LOL. This car has been a HUGE learning experience for me in many ways. It's like the polar opposite of my first BMW, which over the years has just proven itself again and again to be an absolute miracle of a find.
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post
                      I have a soft spot for ACS wheels and those type III look amazing on the E46 M3!

I really enjoyed the initial story, mishaps, and your decision to stick with it and to deep-dive into the restoration. Someone once posted in the forums "Be a good custodian" and that’s exactly what you're doing. Keep up the work and documentation, I will definitely be following along. I'd love to see the car in person one day.
                      Thank you! This is a really good way of thinking about it. I'm trying to do my best to not be that guy who lets the car just waste away. It's in better shape now than when I bought it, that's for damn sure lol. I'm also trying to manage expectations though, because I'm not made out of money and I'm not a BMW master tech. I'm trying to do as much as I can in my home garage basically with help from forum members, friends of mine, and youtube.
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

January 1, 2024

Small updates, I've been chipping away at a few projects over the last few weeks, I don't have THAT much time to dedicate to the car as it turns out. Shocking right?

Since the last entry, I have removed the front suspension, hubs, brakes, all of that, and the rear end is out of the car. Turns out, my helper wasn't that helpful.

So I borrowed some tools from enjoy_m3 and another friend came over and we dropped it out of the car.

This is the first time I have really seen the RACP reinforcement plates on the car, as the previous owner did not provide me with documentation of what they did other than saying they used BimmerWorld plates and the adhesive method to fix them in place. This is what it looks like:

I made a thread about this and asked a bunch of friends about what they would do, and after much hemming and hawing over the past 2 weeks, I have decided to redo the RACP reinforcement plates on the car. The job the previous owner did is just a bit too suspect for my liking. I have some time, and the stuff is mostly off the car anyway, so yea. No time like the present. I have ordered Redish Motorsport V3 plates, and I found a well qualified mobile welder who has done a few of these cars and has agreed to do mine as soon as I am ready. So now I have to just get down to the nitty gritty and actually get this stuff off the car. I know it's going to kind of suck, but I will feel better in the end knowing it's done correctly.

Big takeaway here, I've said this a lot in the last few weeks. If you buy a car with 1 or more of the Big 3 done, get proof of the job being done properly!

Also, I have installed the sunroof plug. Estoril was very helpful explaining his method of masking, and advising which adhesive/sealant to use. Right now, the plug is still sitting in there with the tape on it.

The plan is to use an exacto knife and take my time removing the tape. In hindsight I should have taken it off when it was still fresh, but I will trim and clean up the excess sealer and try to get it as clean as I can while maintaining expectations. I applied sealer from the top and the bottom sides. I'm going to sand the top layer down a bit before I trim and remove the tape, so it's smooth and nicer looking.

My wife got me a pressure washer for Christmas so I had to test it out. This will be helpful to clean off the subframe and all that stuff.

I'm just doing a reasonable cleaning, not refinishing any of this stuff. I'm leaving the wheel bearings alone since they are not dead and that would just be extra work and cost for no reason. I can address those later. I have to buy some new hardware, and I need to got some small items for the RACP prep, but otherwise I am in pretty good shape over here to move forward this week and next. I want to get this car back on the road within the next 4 weeks give or take. Sounds like a lot of time, but I do also have a job and I can only dedicate so much time to this on any given day.

Another note, I had forgotten that my exhaust kind of fits like shit under the car. Basically I got some of that bad batch of SuperSprint products where they don't line up properly. Instead of going to war and waiting a hundred years replacement parts, I decided to cro-magnon it into place with the help of an exhaust shop, they used some generic gaskets and hardware and to be fair, it works and doesn't leak. From the outside, the tips sit about half an inch off center. I would really like to be able to line it up better but I'm not going to worry about that now. I took it off all in one piece so I have minimal hardware to replace. Theoretically it should go back on about the same as before. I will probably replace these two center hangers, though.

Maybe I should ask my mobile welder if he can cut and extend these mounts on the exhaust so they line up better with the factory bracket/brace. The mounts are like, too short. So that is I believe, why the rubber hangers are stretched. Interested in hearing your guys thoughts on this.

Other than that, I haven't discovered anything too bad. Small oil leak from where the engine meets the trans (rear main seal?) and some general grime and crust around the brake lines and fuel filter, and of course a bunch of crusty east coast garbage on fitting and lines around the whole car. I'm going to replace the rusty fasteners and anything vital, but the stuff that is just kind of gross looking but is "fine," I'm leaving for now in the interest of putting one foot in front of the other, and getting the first phase of the project finished. I have not dropped the fuel tank yet, obviously that needs to happen for the RACP plates, and I'm just hoping everything behind there looks okay.

Onward and upward for 2024!

Thanks for looking!
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

The photography 👌

Comment

Your thread has been a joy to read. Excited to see more progress.

Comment

Originally posted by AntRyv View Post
                              The photography 👌
                              Thank you, trying my best to make something interesting haha.
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                              X