HennyM3's First Build Journal: Jet Black Clubsport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HennyM3's First Build Journal: Jet Black Clubsport

I’ve been a member for a couple of years now and lurked around, not knowing which direction I wanted to head with my current m3. But after owning it for a couple of months with too much invested, I decided to finally introduce my first build thread.

My very first m3 was a 05 ZCP Interlagos on black leather that I drove as my daily to get to college.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl735828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.8 KB ID:	256587

Unfortunately, due to negligent drivers driving through Atlanta and the infamous i285, the ZCP was totaled after a semi-truck sideswiped me going 60.

It took a whole year of insurance and the trucking company to reach a settlement, after going to multiple physical therapy appointments for a whole year.

The ZCP’s replacement, however, was an amazing find of mine, in the next state over with it being a 05 Mystic Blue on Black smg that only had 63k miles on it when I bought it.

Drove it home from Alabama the next day and started racking up the miles immediately.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl735824.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.4 KB ID:	256588

The mystic was great while I had it, but I wasn’t happy with the color and didn’t want to keep racking up the miles each week, so I sold it right before 2024 arrived.

It took a couple of months, but I found the replacement that had checked all the boxes

July 26th, 2024 I flew out to Chicago O’Hare then rented a car for the drive to La Porte, Indiana where the m3 was listed for sale. Checked out the m3 and after an easy bank transfer, the trailer arrived that evening and off it went back home to Georgia. All in a day's work.

Details: 2004 Jet black on impulse cloth interior, Original slicktop, manual swapped, clean history, and kept meticulously clean as it was owned by a previous CCA member

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl735829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.6 KB ID:	256589
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl735827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.2 KB ID:	256586

With the price of the m3 by itself, it was an easy decision to own an LCI, non-sunroof, now manual, m3, but the benefit of the mods list turned it into a no-brainer:
    • Turner CSL carbon airbox
    • Megan racing headers, dual resonated sec1, El Diablo muffler
    • CSF radiator and CSF oil cooler combo by Rogue Engineering
    • Custom Dyno tune by Performance Eurowerks in Chicago
    • CSL/MINI battery
    • 996 Brembo/ZCP BBK paint matched M4gts Acid orange
    • Kirk racing 4pt roll bar paint matched M4gts Acid orange
    • Apex arc8 18x9.5 et35 Hyperblack
    • KW V3 Clubsport with HyperCo springs
    • Bimmerworld Track Fcabs/Turner Spherical Rtabs
    • Mason Engineering strut brace
    • DiffsOnline rebuilt 4.10 differential
    • Status Gruppe CSL rear diffuser paint matched
    • Hard motorsports Brake ducting kit
    • Brand new OE chrome grills
    • Brand new OE slicktop headliner
    Along with a lot more supporting mods

As with all enthusiasts out there building their dream builds, you can't always see the finishing point of the process.

For me, I want to see this m3 head in the direction of becoming a Clubsport, where I can utilize some of the hardcore motorsport-inspired parts on the track
    while still being comfortably street-legal
    Last edited by HennyM3; 03-06-2024, 11:57 PM.
    2004 Jet Black/Impulse Cloth Slicktop

August 2023

The first month was slow since I was learning 6-speed (the first manual I’ve owned) and was still frequently traveling weekly.
    Got the hang of manual in a couple of days and was able to start getting the ball rolling for maintenance/mods.

First task was to swap out the Hyper black arc8s for my Hyper silver set that I had kept on standby in storage.
    I liked the straight silver look at the time and wanted to keep my aggressive offset wheels (18x9.5 et22) instead

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl451843.jpg Views:	0 Size:	331.9 KB ID:	256594

Next, I got on the phone with Hassan from HTE so the m3 could get the base tune…only temporary until the m3 is ready to get the special sauce on a dyno day with HTE
    September 2023

First maintenance completed was getting everything up top up-to-spec

Vanos bulletproofed:
    • Bought every product off the s54 tab on Beisan's website, including their upgraded exhaust hub. The tabs on mine were good, but wanted to buy the best solution possible for their redrilled pump disk
    • Upgraded to Lang racing bolts and the s62 diaphragm hub springs
    • All new Genuine BMW hardware everywhere, including a new Vanos valve filter
    Valve shim adjustment
    • Couple shims were out of spec and was able to get all shims properly lashed, closer to the tighter end of the range of specs
    • Changed all gaskets with Genuine BMW including valve cover, grommets, and new hardware to go along with it all
    Miscellaneous
    • Vanos pressure line replaced with Rogue Engineering braided line
    • First oil change which enabled me to change previous owners Redline 5w-50 to Motul 10w-60
    • Brand new NGK spark plugs and Eldor coils
    • Polished Vanos

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl451844.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.2 KB ID:	256596

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl451845.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.4 KB ID:	256597
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl451841.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	256595
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl451839.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	256593

Wasn’t able to get any pictures of this service, but at the same time drained out the previously filled Redline transmission fluid and refilled with proper Pentosin FFL-4 fluid

Thanks to my good friend nextelbuddy, I was able to take off his hands from his stash two full sets of squared rears for an upcoming project.
    I planned to keep one set as the stock set to put on the m3 if I sold it, and the other set to store away for years

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929883.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	256602

Along with the actual cars of the world, I’m also a big aficionado for collecting 1:18 scale models.

This early 2000s model from AutoArt is extremely rare and quite expensive at current prices, so when a local seller posted up one in perfect condition for sale locally, I was on the road to get it the next minute

Fun Fact: Due to early innovation of paint techniques for AutoArt, this model was initially to be Carbon Black, but had
    gotten the mixtures messed up and all were sprayed Saphire Black metallic

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929875.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	256600

Proudly posed it next to the other e46 models I had at the time (notice all of them have 18in style 67s 😊)

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929885.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.6 KB ID:	256605

Along with the wheels, I also was able to bring home a complete rear subframe to prepare ahead of time for my subframe reinforcement project, thanks to my long-time trusty friend Arehman. This includes getting paint-stripped completely, welded with sway bar reinforcements, and then final powder coating

Fun Fact: A complete subframe is a perfect fit in an e91 without trashing the leather or trunk plastics

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929880.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	256598
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929884.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.6 KB ID:	256603

Sent the square wheels off to a Powder coater friend who has gotten Shadow Chrome formulas down to an exact match and will not trust anyone else for my power-coating needs. The 12-hour turnaround time is also why he’s the best at the game

Kept one set original shadow chrome, the other set we experimented with a darker tint and honestly they both came out beautifully

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929881.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.3 KB ID:	256599

Along with a friend, we drove our m3s early morning to Road Atlanta to watch a couple of races happening that weekend.
    In of the early morning runs, we met this beast of an elderly gentleman with his full-fledged s54 e46 completely shredding the track.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	256601

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl929886.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.6 KB ID:	256604

Towards the end of September on a random Wednesday, I decided to head towards the BMW Service center ahead of time for the Snap-on truck.

While waiting, a random service advisor came up to me, and while admiring the m3 he asked if I wanted to see its warranty records.

This is where we both found out the service sheet along with normal warranty work, was that the entire subframe floor was replaced with a new carrier panel and supporting work as warrantied in 2012 under BMW HQ’s Goodwill program

Due to confidential records, I won't be able to share the service sheet

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	847.1 KB ID:	256606
    ​​
    Last edited by HennyM3; 03-08-2024, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nealm3 View Post
      In of the early morning runs, we met this beast of an elderly gentleman with his full-fledged s54 e46 completely shredding the track.[/SIZE]

Click image for larger version Name:	dataurl929882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	256601
      ​​
      I love stuff like this! Hero!
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Looking good. Forum members in Atlanta are planning to meet up at the next BMW CCA cars and coffee. https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/r...ee-meet-notice

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I love stuff like this! Hero!
          I enjoyed chatting with him, he shared some deep knowledge from his past

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
            Looking good. Forum members in Atlanta are planning to meet up at the next BMW CCA cars and coffee. https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/r...ee-meet-notice
            I did see this, and am looking forward to it.

I also do remember the host of these CCA meets saying that they are looking for a new location for the meets, but that was a couple of months ago

Comment

October 2023

Early in the month started off busy, with most of my time spent selling parts and still traveling

My friends convinced me at the Road Atlanta track day for me fit my brand new Supersprint pieces that I had recently received from the group buy that happened way back in 2022. This was also the chance to fit my near-new SCZA muffler I had stashed away in storage

They even wanted me to come down to Atlanta where their warehouse/shop was to watch the process.

With all the new hardware and parts loaded up into the m3, I headed to my friend's warehouse, where their family-owned Nascar gets worked on and resides between seasons

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	256700
              Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963607.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	256705
              Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	256699

As with all services, I made sure to have everything ready before starting

Supersprint exhaust installation:
              • SS v1 stepped headers
              • SS straight sec1
              • SS dual resonated sec2
              • SCZA muffler
              • Deleted SAP and blocked off with Genuine BMW block-off plate
              • New manifold nuts and n54 studs
              • New Elring manifold gaskets
              • New hardware between Sec1 to Sec2, and between Sec2 to Sec3
              • Replaced CPV O-ring with the kit provided by our forum member @MPower22
              Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963592.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	256693

While installing the new exhaust setup, I noticed that I was leaking coolant from the expansion tank return pipe, every time I nudged into it, coolant was trickling out from that O-ring

After finishing the late-night installation, I rushed back home to get started on the whole cooling system next, since it was the right time to complete this job and had all the parts sitting around for it.

Bonus milestone achievement I was able to capture on the way home

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963597.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	256692

As soon as I got home, I started on the cooling system project, and completely bulletproofed the system with all new parts

Cooling system bulletproofing:
              • Brand new Genuine BMW water pump
              • Brand new Genuine BMW expansion tank
              • Brand new Genuine BMW thermostat housing
              • Brand new BorgWarner Thermostat
              • Brand new Mahle-Behr mechanical fan clutch along with brand new blades
              • Brand new sensors, switches, and hardware
              • Utilized the Hi-temp O-ring kit bought from our forum member @Covid-19

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963607.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	256706

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	256703

I decided to keep the CSF radiator in because I never had overheating issues prior, and was verified to be a pre-production issue unit, bought and installed before the times of Covid-19 production changes

Cleaned ICV and throttle bodies as well since everything was open for easy access

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	256697

Along with the cooling system, I checked off refreshing the
              • Brand new Oil filter housing gasket along with its new sensor
              • Brand new Oil cooler O-rings
              • Brand new Genuine BMW OFH bolts and hardware

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963598.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	256695

The last finishing part to bulletproof the cooling system was a new expansion tank vent hose, bought from Rogue Engineering with their CNC’d aluminum fitting

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	256702

Since I already had the Turner Motorsport CSL airbox off, I figured this was the best time to swap out to a better upgrade I had stashed in my personal collection for a while.

The Haimus CSL airbox was better in every way and I had to purchase the newest finish when announced, along with their original solution for the snorkel

Along with the airbox ordered straight from Bulgaria, all supporting hardware and sensors were ordered including:
              • Genuine BMW CSL air filter
              • Genuine BMW CSL air shutoff valve
              • New Turner Motorsport boots with Genuine BMW clamps
              • Brand new IAT harness
              • Brand new Genuine BMW temp sensor
              • MAP conversion kit bought from our forum member @ErickM3S54
              • MPower sticker bought from our forum member @Slideways
              I was able to get the Haimus CSL airbox in their new finish in Shadowline Black, and I also requested to also have the silver bolts included as well.
              With the black aluminum fittings and the silver bolts, this was the perfect replication to the original CSL airbox

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	256701
              Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963606.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.2 KB ID:	256704

With a fresh clean airbox, I wanted to keep it clean from oil blow-by, so I also fitted a brand-new Radium catch can kit

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	256696

Towards the end of October, I had an opportunity to purchase a low mileage s54 posted up only ten minutes away from me.
              I confirmed everything was in great shape for having only 70k miles, and brought it home then got started immediately on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963606.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.2 KB ID:	256698

It took a couple hours to verify the condition by pulling the rod bearings for crankshaft condition and pulling the head off to check the piston chambers, confirmed everything was in great condition then slapped it all back together

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl963603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	256694
              After swapping over some extra parts to low mileage s54, I posted up the other spare s54 on marketplace and sold it within the same day 😊

A nice little bonus towards the end of October was being able to purchase a brand new set of m3 floor mats locally for cheaper than retail, a couple days after they were announced NLA.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	862.8 KB ID:	256707
              Last edited by HennyM3; 03-08-2024, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I've driven this car and it's awesome. Excited to see the rest of the updates
                2003 E46 M3 Titanium Silver / Black

Dinan Section 3 - Dual Resonated Sec 1 - Dinan Springs & Bilstein Shocks - GruppeM Intake - Dinan Front & Rear Strut Bars - Hotchkis Front Sway Bar

www.instagram.com/nextlvel

Comment

Originally posted by nextlvel View Post
                  I've driven this car and it's awesome. Excited to see the rest of the updates
                  Stay tuned bro 😁

Comment

November 2023

Right off the start of the month was devastating, as I sold off one of my favorite sets of wheels I had in my personal collection

Hopefully, I can buy them back in the future if you ever change it up in the future nextlvel
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	606.4 KB ID:	256867

The first task for the month was swapping in brand new headlight lenses to get crisp and clear light to along with new xenon bulbs from Morimoto.

Also changed all the clears around to brand new Genuine BMW from FCP because why not? Good to have a new set that carries through their lifetime warranty

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	865.7 KB ID:	256879

Don’t mind the extreme road grime, I’ve been having too much fun just driving

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	881.9 KB ID:	256868

Was able to snag a near-new euro center console from an e46 that just arrived at the local Pull-a-part.

I’ve been looking for a solution to delete the center armrest for a while, so this was a nice little find for me

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	927.6 KB ID:	256869

Installed the new console along with a brand-new Rogue Engineering strut brace I had stashed in my personal collection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	905.3 KB ID:	256870

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	833.5 KB ID:	256871

Next up for the interior was to install some brand-new Turner Motorsport pedals.

I fitted up the new pedals outside of the car so I could drill with accurate measurements, OCD would kill me if one was higher up than the other.

Along with the pedals, I replaced the stock bushings with a brass bushing for the clutch pedal and Delrin for the brake pedal, both bought from AKG

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	909.0 KB ID:	256872

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	915.3 KB ID:	256873​​

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	902.9 KB ID:	256874

The main part I wanted to tend to when I was down there was swapping out the clutch switches.

When the manual conversion was performed, they were able to properly code the manual properties in with a new Black clutch switch, all of my functions even reverse dip worked perfectly
                    , except for cruise control

I had a spare original part # .700 Brown clutch switch I had kept from an m3 I just parted out a couple months prior. This new switch went in and I was able to bring back my cruise control function.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	879.9 KB ID:	256875

Replacing all of the idler pulleys, tensioners, and belts was next on my list.

This was also the best time to install my brand new Rogue Engineering power pulley Street kit, one of my favorite cheapest mods for these engines.

Changed out the Water Pump and Power Steering pulleys and
                    their provided longer belt, along with all of its new hardware

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	897.1 KB ID:	256876

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	909.9 KB ID:	256877

November came to a great end, as a good friend gave me a chance to take his near-new special and rare set of wheels from his collection.

When I first saw these wheels, I knew I wanted them for my m3 since it was a finish that most haven’t heard of or seen.

Introducing the British Racing Green Te37SL, a nice stand-out option since everyone and their grandmas have Mag Blue or Pressed Graphite
                    This setup was made for the track, coming in at 18x10.5 et20 squared paired up with 275/35/18 Nitto NT01 R-comp track tires for the highest grip setup

A first wash since start of ownership was the perfect reason for a little photo shoot with the new shoes

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	256865
                    ​​
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	830.1 KB ID:	256866
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by HennyM3; 03-08-2024, 07:35 PM.

Comment

This is a great build. The attention to detail is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by HennyM3 View Post
                        I’ve been a member for a couple of years now and lurked around, not knowing which direction I wanted to head with my current m3. But after owning it for a couple of months with too much invested, I decided to finally introduce my first build thread.

My very first m3 was a 05 ZCP Interlagos on black leather that I drove as my daily to get to college.

Click image for larger version Name:	dataurl735828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.8 KB ID:	256587

Unfortunately, due to negligent drivers driving through Atlanta and the infamous i285, the ZCP was totaled after a semi-truck sideswiped me going 60.

It took a whole year of insurance and the trucking company to reach a settlement, after going to multiple physical therapy appointments for a whole year.

The ZCP’s replacement, however, was an amazing find of mine, in the next state over with it being a 05 Mystic Blue on Black smg that only had 63k miles on it when I bought it.

Drove it home from Alabama the next day and started racking up the miles immediately.

Click image for larger version Name:	dataurl735824.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.4 KB ID:	256588

The mystic was great while I had it, but I wasn’t happy with the color and didn’t want to keep racking up the miles each week, so I sold it right before 2024 arrived.

It took a couple of months, but I found the replacement that had checked all the boxes

July 26th, 2024 I flew out to Chicago O’Hare then rented a car for the drive to La Porte, Indiana where the m3 was listed for sale. Checked out the m3 and after an easy bank transfer, the trailer arrived that evening and off it went back home to Georgia. All in a day's work.

Details: 2004 Jet black on impulse cloth interior, Original slicktop, manual swapped, clean history, and kept meticulously clean as it was owned by a previous CCA member

Click image for larger version Name:	dataurl735829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.6 KB ID:	256589
                        Click image for larger version Name:	dataurl735827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.2 KB ID:	256586

With the price of the m3 by itself, it was an easy decision to own an LCI, non-sunroof, now manual, m3, but the benefit of the mods list turned it into a no-brainer:
                        • Turner CSL carbon airbox
                        • Megan racing headers, dual resonated sec1, El Diablo muffler
                        • CSF radiator and CSF oil cooler combo by Rogue Engineering
                        • Custom Dyno tune by Performance Eurowerks in Chicago
                        • CSL/MINI battery
                        • 996 Brembo/ZCP BBK paint matched M4gts Acid orange
                        • Kirk racing 4pt roll bar paint matched M4gts Acid orange
                        • Apex arc8 18x9.5 et35 Hyperblack
                        • KW V3 Clubsport with HyperCo springs
                        • Bimmerworld Track Fcabs/Turner Spherical Rtabs
                        • Mason Engineering strut brace
                        • DiffsOnline rebuilt 4.10 differential
                        • Status Gruppe CSL rear diffuser paint matched
                        • Hard motorsports Brake ducting kit
                        • Brand new OE chrome grills
                        • Brand new OE slicktop headliner
                        Along with a lot more supporting mods

As with all enthusiasts out there building their dream builds, you can't always see the finishing point of the process.

For me, I want to see this m3 head in the direction of becoming a Clubsport, where I can utilize some of the hardcore motorsport-inspired parts on the track
                        while still being comfortably street-legal
                        Such a beauty......

Comment

Working...
                        X