Car managed to function as a car for 3 consecutive hours yesterday - I’m away this weekend so brought it on a short road trip. Really love the extra grip up front, but need to do something about a stiffer sway bar now I have more grip to play with.
Lovely glamour shot of the missing diffuser and broken exhaust hangers
Car managed to function as a car for 3 consecutive hours yesterday - I’m away this weekend so brought it on a short road trip. Really love the extra grip up front, but need to do something about a stiffer sway bar now I have more grip to play with.
Lovely glamour shot of the missing diffuser and broken exhaust hangers
Great stuff. Is the higher resolution logging enabled in the community patch?
It's not released yet - the code is done, but I'm still finishing documenting all of the variables (there's thousands). I'm actually making some progress on that so hoping to have it out there in the not too distant future.
Well we seem to finally be coming out of the months of winter sickness in our house. I've been very patchy the last couple of months in terms of car stuff - hopefully I haven't missed replying to anyone!
Few quick updates: I'm likely taking the car on a trip at the weekend. In preparation for this I thought I'd better revert to the standard community patch v2 software (I was running a customised version for testing something) and took the opportunity to take the car for a decent drive and do a long VE tuning run to capture some more "spirited" driving. Very much enjoyed the grip of the wider tires up front, and the rigidity in the rear from the RACP brace makes a really big difference. I'm looking forward to getting Heinz's front brace installed as it's definitely noticeable that the front isn't quite as focused now in comparison to the, improved, rear.
Doing the VE tuning reminded me to have a play with something I've been meaning to do for a while. With high rate CAN logging there's enough resolution in the logs to go more granular with the VE tuning process. I'm just playing around at this point, but have tried things like building a correction map at a higher resolution, and then essentially brute-force solving (my M1 Max seems to be able to do about 150,000 fits per minute) an optimal 20x24 table.
In this quick example below, the best-found table has an RMS error of 0.0046 vs 0.0109 on the starting corrected table (e.g. standard interpolation points) - a 57.95% improvement, and a reduction in the max error point of about 20% - not bad.
Lots more playing round with this to be done.
Great stuff. Is the higher resolution logging enabled in the community patch?
This is the resultant VE table error of just mapping the correction to the standard interpolation points:
And this is exactly the same data, but with interpolation points optimised - I have also specified certain areas of the surface as having a greater weighting (e.g. low dr_rel/rpm combos the relative error matters more).
Well we seem to finally be coming out of the months of winter sickness in our house. I've been very patchy the last couple of months in terms of car stuff - hopefully I haven't missed replying to anyone!
Few quick updates: I'm likely taking the car on a trip at the weekend. In preparation for this I thought I'd better revert to the standard community patch v2 software (I was running a customised version for testing something) and took the opportunity to take the car for a decent drive and do a long VE tuning run to capture some more "spirited" driving. Very much enjoyed the grip of the wider tires up front, and the rigidity in the rear from the RACP brace makes a really big difference. I'm looking forward to getting Heinz's front brace installed as it's definitely noticeable that the front isn't quite as focused now in comparison to the, improved, rear.
Doing the VE tuning reminded me to have a play with something I've been meaning to do for a while. With high rate CAN logging there's enough resolution in the logs to go more granular with the VE tuning process. I'm just playing around at this point, but have tried things like building a correction map at a higher resolution, and then essentially brute-force solving (my M1 Max seems to be able to do about 150,000 fits per minute) an optimal 20x24 table.
In this quick example below, the best-found table has an RMS error of 0.0046 vs 0.0109 on the starting corrected table (e.g. standard interpolation points) - a 57.95% improvement, and a reduction in the max error point of about 20% - not bad.
Yeah thanks for that and agreed - Purpose for coating the CNC'd parts is mostly for protection, I live coastal so will do what I can to keep anything aluminium protected as well as I can. I'm thinking maybe anodising (mostly cause I haven't done it before and it would be cool to have a go at it) for the CNC'd parts, cerakote like you did for the brackets and either cerakote or powder-coated for the strut bar and E86 braces to match the RACP brace in the back.
They'll stay nicely bagged with their machine oil until I'm ready to test fit and then send for coating.
Just watch the temps that the parts will get to during coating. Most of the powder coating places around me told me they cured their stuff at close to 200 C, which is why I ultimately went for low temp cerakote instead.
You could also anodize the CNCd parts if all you want to do is make them less obvious once installed. Won't be as close of a match to the factory strut bar finish, but you won't have to worry about heat and it's actually not all that hard to DIY at home.
Leave a comment: