Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slavik's 2002 Carbon Schwarz M3 6 Speed Build

***Transferred from M3F***

After over three years of ownership, I decided to start my build thread. I purchased it with only 37k miles on the ODO.

For those who think this M3 is familiar, well that is because I bought it from my brother back in 2012. Lucky for me, he did a few mods and mainly the reinforcement of the rear end. Here is what has been done to it by him:

-Rear sub frame reinforcement
    -ZCP Brake Kit
    -KW V2 Coilovers
    -New rear subframe bushings and RTABs w/front lollipop bushings
    -Turner reinforcement plates
    -SS lines and brake stiffening kit
    -Square setup
    -Supersprint V1 headers
    -Evolve tune

The way it looked as I received it.

...and what has been done....
    New Bushings at 28k miles:

Subframe Reinforcement:

KW V2's w/reinforcement plates:

ZCP Brakes:

Finally, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers:

Last edited by slavik1988; 04-17-2020, 06:06 PM.
    2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

02/09/2013 Update:

Got a great deal on some OEM ZCP wheels from a local M3 owner:

Comment

11/15/2013 Update:

Picked up a set of OE LED taillights with adapters (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics):

Comment

02/22/2014 Update:

When the CSL was released, I was amazed the sound the carbon airbox made. After buying the M3, it was always on my list of 'must have'. Long story short, I came across a Evolve box here on sale with spares. It is now mine!!

While I was doing the install, I went ahead and changed the plugs, fuel filter, valve adjustment, and changed the oil:

Now it is running Evolve's Alpha-N Tune.

Comment

Update 01/16/2016:

Treated myself for Christmas with a Status Gruppe front lip and a Dinan muffler. Their is a little drone with at 3100rpm with the SS V1 headers without cats. Also annoying is that two of the tips are dummy tips. 🤬

Comment

Update 01/28/2016:

This is what happens when you let your wife take your car to the grocery store. 🤬

New trunk release handle from BMW:

Comment

Update 09/07/2016:

Did a little refresh to the steering, tires and alignment in preparation for a track day:

A little nasty surprise came up. I will need to replace my high pressure power steering line since it is leaking on one end.

All buttoned up.

Fresh alignment and new Bridgestone RE-71Rs to replace the Dunlops.

Comment

Love the square setup! Looking forward to more updates.

Comment

Update 10/10/2016

On October 8th, my brother and I went to Road Atlanta with NASA. The morning started off slow with me getting used to the grip of my Bridgestone RE71R's in the first session. The second session got red flagged after just a few laps when a Mustang hit the wall on the straight into turn 10A.

On the third session is when my car started to taking a beating and unfortunately it was my dumbass. Coming into turn 7, I tried to downshift into second gear to get a better exit. I hope I would have never tried that because on exiting the turn, I shifted into 5th instead of third. I don't know what happened, but the transmission became very notchy. More on that later. The last session was going great. I was nursing my transmission and getting comfortable with my tires which had phenomenal grip. I couldn't be happier. About two thirds of the session through, I was flying through the back straight when my lip ripped off the front bumper. I knew immediately what it was. Needless to say, I don't miss it at all.

Next morning, I needed to get some fuel. Upon engaging into first gear, I heard a weird noise. I talked to my brother and we narrowed it down that I either damaged my clutch or my throw out bearing was on its way down. I decided to still run the car on track since the noise was only present in first gear. After the first session, my brake pad wear sensor came on. Thinking that the fronts would have more wear, I removed one of the front wheels and checked that I have enough pad life left. They did. I was good to go for another session. Then my brother told me to double check to make sure the rears were good. That is when I discovered that there was no pads left. Thus, ending my track weekend.

I am glad that my track weekend ended when it did. I had a two and a half hour drive back home. Thankfully for me, it was all highway miles. As soon as I parked the car at home, I was not able to shift gears without shutting the car off and changing gears. Enjoy the pictures:

Comment

01/19/2017 Update:

My plan is to do some preventative maintenance over the course of the month by replacing the following:

-Clutch
                    -Guibo
                    -Rebuild shifter
                    -Transmission fluid
                    -Differential fluid
                    -Re-bleed brakes and clutch
                    -Rear brake pads
                    -Front and rear sway bar bushings
                    -Replace headers and flash new software
                    -Oil and filter change and send oil sample to Blackstone Labs
                    -Rebuild Vanos w/Beisan oil pump disk, coil pack and seals
                    -Replace Vanos bolts w/new version and check exhaust hub
                    -Water pump, radiator, thermostat, coolant hoses, and coolant reservoir
                    -Accessory belts
                    -Valve gover gasket
                    -Engine Mounts
                    -Fan Clutch and blade

Most of the stuff was already purchased. ECS Tuning loves me.😂

Comment

02/13/2017 Update:

Started the process by draining the coolant system and replacing the headers this weekend. Since the transmission was already out, it made replacing the headers easier than what my brother said when he was installing them. It also helped that I pulled the radiator and all of the other pieces in the way of getting them out.

Headers, water pump, thermostat, and accessory belts are done.

Ordered a clutch disc from BMW. None are in stock at BMW NA so it will be two weeks before it comes from Germany. Also, ordered a lab kit from Blackstone Labs. Should be here in a week.

Comment

02/19/2017 Update:

I was able to do a few things on Sunday until I made a mess of the garage. Started off with an easy task of installing some new sway bar bushings. Even though they were not worn out, they were in the kit that I bought from ECS so there. Yep, I forgot to take pictures of them installed.

Next I jumped on the power steering line. Oil leaks really piss me off and when I last time got under the M3, the high pressure power steering line started to leak and made a spot on my belly pan. Also, the power steering pump was covered. My guess is bad crush washers. Replaced everything with some new pieces and cleaned it up. Including the reservoir which was caked with fluid and dirt.

After some lunch, I jumped on the differential. By the looks of it, the fluid was never changed in the lifetime of the vehicle. While it was draining, I went ahead and swapped out the rear pads for some new ones. I love the small BMW diff fluid bottles. I didn't even need to get out my pump to push fluid in. Just let gravity do the work.

Finally, since the garage was dirty and it needed a cleaning I pressured washed and cleaned the wheel wells with some high PH acid cleaner. Again forgot to do the before picture and looking at the after pictures, black really hides the difference. In person, it really does look better.

You can see all of the dirt on the floor in the first picture.

Comment

02/22/2017 Update:

What do you guys think. Just picked up a set of E9X M3 wheels. Figured I would show them off while the garage is clean.

Comment

03/06/2017 Update:

A little bit more progress over the weekend. Started off Saturday morning with rebuilding the shifter. I picked up ECS Tuning's rebuild kit with there teflon bushings. Even though mine was not too sloppy, it does feel much crisper. Next I moved on to the drive shaft. Replaced the guibo which was starting to crack. Also, I installed a new seal for the differential in preparation to install the driveshaft.

Old pieces:

Old Guibo on the left:

Before and After:

Next, I moved on to installing the clutch, draining the fluid from the transmission and refill it with some fresh BMW fluid. While at it, I through in a new throw out bearing. To take note of any new leaks, I cleaned up transmission casing. I hope this will be the last time I will have to install this transmission without a lift. Every time that me and my brother tried to align it into the pilot bearing, it would move the clutch out of alignment. After four tries, we finally made it. My arms are aching now from all of the man handling.

Also, bought myself a nice 34" bell housing extension.

Comment

03/06/2017 Update:

My Beisan order was shipped out this week. Once that arrives, it should cover all of my maintenance. While I am waiting for it, I went ahead and flushed the brake fluid. I still had the old ATE super blue fluid. Damn, it was a ***** to get all of it flushed out. Went through 3 liters of fluid to clean out the system. After that, on went the differential and the heat shield to end my day on Saturday. On Sunday, I had time to only replaced the engine mounts.

Sunday's progress:

Old vs New:

Comment

Working...
                              X