No announcement yet.

Obioban's 2004 JR/Black M3 Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video with the e36 M3 muffler. I tried to get a variety of driving types, coming and going, inside and outside of the car. I'll do another once the euro headers and cats are on.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Stockpiled some LT2, because Pentosin discontinued it (which also means BMW is no longer selling it) and I don't feel like there's a proven alternative yet.

This should be a ~10 year supply, by which point hopefully there will be a known, proven alternative.

Called the local NAPA and had them ship all the MTF2 from all the stores to my local store, and bought it all

Every car I own and every car I plan to own uses this fluid!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I've done a couple of projects that I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of or posting about-- namely roof rack delete, huge brake light output upgrades, and black headliner/pillars. Hopefully I will soon.

Until then, I installed this today. Belongs to a friend of mine, but I'm "storing" it for him for a couple of weeks in the wagon. Previously I've only had Sparco seats in track cars, never a Recaro or in a street car. This thing is definitely on a higher tier.

Recaro Profi SPG XL with a Brey Krause R-9222 seat mount on a BMW e46 power slider.

Initial impressions:
        -getting in and out of the car sucks
        -once seated, it's remarkably better (and comfortable)
        -the stock 3 point belt receiver with the pre tensioner isn't great in either of the two ways you can run it (over the seat or through the hole). One way it digs into you, the other way it's too high for good contact. If I was going to run this long term, I'd likely use a rear seat belt receiver up front to get it better positioned, though it would be a shame to lose the pretensioner in the process.
        -the headrest feels too far back (likely for helmet clearance) and a bit too little padding to be safe without a helmet
        -the seating position is completely wonderful. This must be what it's like to be a normal person height. I can fit an entire fist above my head, and this car has a sunroof! I also don't have the steering wheel in the highest position. Traditionally I have to recline the seat a bit to fit in the car with a helmet on-- sub optimal.

All told, gives me lots of things to consider for this winter's seat project in my M3 coupe. :hmm:

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Roof rack deleted (makes the car quieter at speed, improves high seem fuel efficiency, lets you run a functional, cross bar roof rack more easily if you actually need a roof rack for stuff):

Converted to a black headliner/pillars/accessories. I did this buy buying an entire kit from a euro M sport car, other than the headlight itself (shipping was cost prohibitive). Side perk: no airbag warning stickers on the sun visors (also have this in my M3 coupe). The headliner itself I dyed with a product the braymond suggested, and it came out remarkably well. You can feel the difference, but rarely do I touch my headliner. Inside the car, the color difference is pretty imperceptible.

Interesting discovery on this front. The euro A and B pillars are lower profile than the US ones. I found this out because they don't exactly line up with the US spec headliner I still have. You can only see this if you're looking for it, and I'm not going to change them for US parts because I like the extra visibility (A pillars) and shoulder clearance (B pillars) that these provide. If it was the M3 coupe I wouldn't stand for it, but standards are different here :roll:. Best pics I could get of the mating interface not being 100% spot on:

And, as previously mentioned, I'm temporarily running a Recaro Profi SPG XL on Brey Krause side mounts using OE BMW e46 power sliders.

They do improve practicality in the form of back seat leg room. This is the space behind me (6'4) in my default driving position with these seats:

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I ordered an M Tech II front bumper for the wagon.

My list of purchased but not installed parts grows longer and longer. Stupid... being drive 100 miles/day, every day, status. Currently sitting ready parts:
            M Tech II front bumper
            upgraded projectors/bulbs
            M3 mirrors
            Euro headers and cats, with new pre cat O2s

Once I have the 530i assembled and on the road, I intend to DD it for a bit and dig into all these wagon projects. It just rolled over 190,000 miles, so I plan to do a top end refresh on it-- head gasket and new valve guides/seals, as well as a fuel injector rebuild. I'll also switch it from the Beisan prototype chain guide to the Beisan production change guide. I also plan to flash a euro M3 tune onto it, given the Euro M3 headers.

I also have the M3 behind bumper ducting and aux fan (Kaiv included it with the car). I haven't previously been able to use it, because of the stock bumper, but the M sport bumper plays nice with it-- so I'll be sticking that on at the same time.

I think the M tech II bumper prices must have just gone up from BMW. After I ordered it, I went back to getbmwparts the next day, and the price had increased by $200

My 17" BBS RG-Rs for this car arrived yesterday and are currently getting refinished. 18" RG-Rs are sold.

I also stumbled upon some ZHP M cube trim in a junk yard the other day, so I grabbed that. Will probably install it at some point, though I like my 3M trim :P

Beyond that, I don't have any further modification plans for this car.... might just change over to being on an upkeep plan.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

17” RG-Rs on, M cube trim installed. M tech bumper goes on this weekend.

Centercaps coming soon

Also got a full front end respray, new OE headlight lenses, and a new OE hood (old one came with a small dent)/OE kidneys/roundel.

Modding is nearly complete. M3 mirrors and euro headers/cats/tune to go!

... and at some point I need to redo the tint.

17s really took the civility to another level Attached Images

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Installed the M tech bumper, M3 aux fan (properly shaped for the M tech bumper), and all the front end ducting/trim. Also got the front end resprayed (though don't judge the paint by these pictures-- it's pretty dirty), and replaced the Kidneys/headlight lenses/roundel to freshen everything up.

I'm amazed how functional the M tech bumper is! I always assumed it was just a cosmetic piece, but it actually brings over all of the M3 ducting to the standard e46! Perfect for swapped cars!Attached Images

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I need to get my m3 mirrors installed :shifty:

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Started pulling her apart for winter projects today. Projects include, but are not limited to...
                    Rod bearings
                    New oil pan drain bolt solution (stripped, was previously helicoliled)
                    Euro headers/cats/tune
                    Nix the secondary air pump
                    New cooling system
                    Belts/tensioners/idlers
                    Head gasket, deck the head slightly
                    Updated Beisan chain guide (I have the beta version, which was a different material than the final)
                    Valve guides/seals (new stock)
                    All fluids
                    Valve adjustment

Nothing is failed, other than elevated lead in my oil. Mostly just doing a 200,000 mile refresh.

... the pile of parts is not small.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Been steadily chipping away at the wagon's projects.

Done:
                      -euro headers/cats
                      -new pre cat o2s
                      -radiator/thermostat/water pump/piping/expansion tank
                      -rebuilt fuel injectors
                      -head gasket
                      -secondary air pump delete
                      -M3 MK60 swap

Left to go:
                      -rod bearings
                      -clean ICV
                      -reassemble airbox area stuff
                      -euro tune. Probably a PC tune on that, once Brexit drives the gbp down.
                      -ecu fan
                      -all fluids

Feels like I'm almost done! Should be wrapping it up just in time for spring

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Installed a bucket seat in the M3 wagon.

SYT Shadow and his brother came down for the weekend, and we did rod bearings on the wagon's S54 and some projects on their F80 M3 CS.

The bearings only have 50,000-60,000 miles on them, and only one track event AFAIK, but oil analysis said they were due.

...And it looks like oil analysis did not lie.

These bearings were WPC treated. I haven't seen any cars with WPC treated bearings with even half this mileage, so I think it's possible (but in no way guaranteed) that this shorter life is a result of the WPC treatment.

I put in new, OE, untreated bearings with OE bolts.

Thanks again, Nick/Danny, for coming down!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

So, this winter/spring I did a ton of engine projects on the wagon (was running when parked, but things need refreshing at 200,000 miles). Entire belt drive system (belts, tensioners, idlers), cooling system, fuel injector rebuild, rod bearings, idle control valve, valve adjustment, and did euro headers/cats/tune (with new precat 02s). All told, there were a couple of areas where I could have done something that would ruin the engine.

A couple of weeks ago I fired it up for the first time to do a test drive. Drove around the block-- everything was fine. Relief was felt.

The next day I was driving it to bimmerworks for state inspection (lapsed while the car was apart). I was enjoying myself (within the restriction of engine break in RPM and throttle) and remembering how much I love driving this car. Life was good....

... and then I came to a traffic light, and suddenly the car started running more horribly than any car I've ever been in.

I had to get to our baby shower, so I abandoned the car in a neighborhood. But, that evening hail was in the forecast, so instead of dealing with it myself I called a tow truck and had it flatbedded to bimmerworks for diagnostic. I wasn't feeling very good about the situation-- with how much engine internal work I had just done, it seemed somewhat likely that this was going to be a big issue.

But then, the next morning, bimmerworks emailed me these pictures, and life was good again

This was a fuel rail bolt. I had dropped it when reinstalling the fuel rail, and thought I heard it fall through. I couldn't find it at the time, so I replaced it with another bolt I had. Turns out... it didn't fall through. When I came to a stop at the traffic light, it must have fallen from where it was hiding and blocked the throttle arm, holding them closed. With no air, the engine was not happy.

Anyway, that was about as pain free of a fix as I could have hoped for! I've driven the car another 800 miles since them, and am feeling pretty confident with the the car again

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

What did you use to clean the deck when you replaced the head gasket?

Comment

This is awesome, are you ever planning to do the bodywork or keep it as a sleeper? I’m doing an E91 M3 at the moment and I’m currently wondering if I can keep a stock bonnet over the top of the massive S65 intake plenum.

Comment

Originally posted by CSLManual View Post
                                This is awesome, are you ever planning to do the bodywork or keep it as a sleeper? I’m doing an E91 M3 at the moment and I’m currently wondering if I can keep a stock bonnet over the top of the massive S65 intake plenum.
                                My intention is to keep the bodywork stock. I'm really enjoying the 225/245 on 17s, as the small tires give a lot more feel and make the car more playful at speeds you can drive on the street. If I did the bodywork, those tires would look comically small. Plus, I've always hated that the M3 doesn't have a spare tire well, and the non M muffler allows me to keep that. Plus... there's a certain element of I like keeping the wagon and coupe on opposite ends of the "M3" spectrum. Wagon is 3500 lbs, stock power, ~stock tire sizes, ~stock suspension. Coupe is ~3100 lbs, ~30% up on power, and massively more grip/brakes/suspension than stock.

I believe the only cosmetic change left for this car is the M3 exterior mirrors.... which I have, painted and waiting to install in my basement, as soon as inspiration strikes...
                                (have had them down there for ~2 years now, so may be a bit)

... and part of me would like to do some sportster CSs, in no small part because that would allow for more back seat leg room.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X