Alex's "Smurfenstein" LSB Copart Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex's "Smurfenstein" LSB Copart Rebuild

Hey all, for those of you who don't remember me or my car, I was on m3forum.net before the website nuked itself.

It's unfortunate that I likely lost all the pics and pages of information that I had about the car but I will try and post everything that I still have archived.

Back in 2016, I didn't want to go and spend the money to buy a LSB that was already sorted and what-not so I searched everywhere for a deal/project. I had to have LSB, it was the color E46 M3 that I remember seeing all throughout middle school and high school, I absolutely loathed over it.

Sure enough, after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, I finally stumbled upon a 2002 Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 on Copart.

It had slight damage on the right rear quarter panel of the car that didn't look terrible. I carfaxed it prior to bidding to check owner history and to make sure the car never made its way up to the rust belt. According to carfax, it only had 2 owners and it thankfully lived in Texas all its life so the undercarriage was really clean and didn't have any rust on it.

Here are the only pictures that I had to base my decision off of from Copart. It looked decent, but the interior was trashed. I was planning on swapping it out for black (hopefully m-texture one day) anyway so I bit the bullet and placed my bid.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41152136_Image_2.JPG Views:	3 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	45694
    Click image for larger version  Name:	41152136_Image_3.JPG Views:	3 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	45695
    Click image for larger version  Name:	41152136_Image_4.JPG Views:	3 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	45696

Click image for larger version  Name:	41152136_Image_1.JPG Views:	3 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	45700

I ended up winning the car and having it shipped out to Chicago.

Here's pics of the car off of the transport truck, the first and only time its ever seen snow! Check out the damage as well, I'm surprised it was totaled out, but being older cars insurance companies go by the KBB amount which is really low and inaccurate for our cars. So a few hours on a frame machine can total these out quick!

Click image for larger version  Name:	5P7LnsO.jpg Views:	3 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	45703
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ZtI48uK.jpg Views:	3 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	45704
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tpeUKV2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	45705
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BfWfbG5.jpg Views:	3 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	45706

Since the car was wrecked, I brought it over to my fathers body shop for some much needed work.

My original plan to fix the damage was to pull the quarter panel out and "reshape it" to OE specs. I ended up not liking the way that it turned out and replaced the quarter panel at a later date. We’ll get to that later but for now here’s some pics of the first time around.

After some pulling and metal work.

After some paint and TLC.

Check out that grey interior, oooof, I have to swap that out.

I drove the car like this for about a year before starting to get the itch to modify it and make it my own.

I always wanted LSB/Cinnamon so I did what I knew best and hopped back onto IAAI and Copart to search for a donor M3 with a cinnamon interior.

I ended up finding one up in Wisconsin for a good price so I pulled the trigger.

The interior ended up being 100 times better than my grey, but the drivers seat definitely showed more wear than I would have liked. My fault, I was too eager to have it.

I got lucky and found that the Topaz car had a bavsound stage 1 kit so I quickly swapped that over to my car.

My original plan for this car was to part it out but instead I found a guy who wanted it after I removed the interior to make it into a track car. Perfect scenario for both parties.

Bavsound stage 1!

This took forever, lots of swearing, sweat and broken clips.

Cinnamon

After selling the topaz car and swapping the interior and bavsound speakers to my car, I once again was satisfied with the car for maybe 3 months until I got the itch again, haha guess that’s E46’s for ya.

Before this LSB M3, I actually owned a 2002 Steel Grey Metallic E46 M3 that I actually rebuilt as well from IAAI. That M3 came with a set of BBS RG-R’s but sadly one of them was ruined from the accident. I ended up calling BBS to order one wheel since one of mine from my set was damaged.

I wish I never sold this M3, it was a 6 speed and had 70,000 miles and a DINAN stage 1 package. Whatever, live and learn I guess.

I’ll add more pics of that car later, but here’s a pic for now.

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; 12-10-2021, 06:13 AM.

Here’s a little side quest about the Steel Grey Metallic E46 M3 that I bought off of IAAI and regrettably sold.

I purchased it in 2013 while still in college so I didn’t exactly have all of the money in the world back then. I looked for a deal and finally found an M3 that fit the bill.

Here are some (horrible) pics of it from IAAI and then after fixing it. It was a true gem of a car and was absolutely mint. Oh well, on to better things...

Anyway, long story short, this is the car that my BBS RG-R’s came from. I guess I got something out of it after all.

Mid-2017, this is the way that the LSB looked with the new wheels. Not too bad, but definitely had a long way to go to get up to my standards.

I installed a El Diablo exhaust and replaced the RTAB’s. This is also after I had installed some Koni Yellows with H&R sport springs. It drove pretty nicely after this.

Playing around with camera angles.

You can kind of tell that the panel gaps between the trunk and passenger tail light didn't exactly look too good. This started to bother me after a while and I ended up replacing the whole quarter panel to cure the issue.

But I guess it looked pretty good none-the-less.

I figure now was a good time to take care of some maintenance. I needed to do the rod bearings because the last time they were done at the dealer under recall was when the car had around ~40k miles. It now had ~160k miles.

While addressing the rod bearings, I decided to install some catless headers, a LUK clutch, flywheel, and throw out bearing.

The catless headers really woke up the car. Tied the with El Diablo exhaust, the noise the car now made was music to my ears.

Here are the rod bearings w/120k miles. Not as bad as I thought they would be, but I was happy to swap them out for peace of mind. I replaced them with ACL bearings, which are recommended by Lang Racing.

There wasn't any copper showing, but the black stone analysis did point to higher copper levels, which is what prompted me to want to swap them out.

I also hated how worn the steering was. You could tell it had ~150k on it. The leather was dull and weathered, no amount of care short of a rewrap could bring it back to life.

I found a Craigslist deal locally for a Coby Wheel w/grey center stripe. Not bad for $120. I ended up selling the worn wheel for $180, so I essentially was paid $60 to upgrade.

I think I may end up going with something a little thicker in the future, but this will do for now. The Coby wheel does have the M striping, though not visible through these pics.

I cleaned the wheel after install with Sonax Alcantara cleaner. That made a world of a difference.

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; 12-10-2021, 06:18 AM.

Comment

A couple months after swapping out the rod bearings, and installing a new clutch and catless headers, I decided to tackle the rear right quarter panel.

In order to get the panels gaps correct, I would have to replace the entire quarter panel. This is likely what the insurance company used to total the car, it didn’t seem worth it to do on a 18 year old car.

Here is the start of the process.

Setting the car up on the frame machine.

About to tear off the ugly quarter panel.

Testing the fitment of an OE CSL trunk lid.

Oof, this hurt to watch. No turning back now LOL.

Cutting out the areas that we are going to weld the new quarter panel to.

More cutting and trimming.

Even more cutting and trimming.

Ever seen the inside of a quarter panel on an E46 M3?

These black lines are where the cuts will end.

I need a drink...

Started to have second thoughts about going through with the quarter panel replacement after seeing the care like this.

This is a donor shell that I had laying around from an old part out of mine.

Cutting out the replacement quarter panel.

Starting to weld everything up to my car!

Close up of the welds.

More welding...

Even more...

And more...

Finally, I give you SMURFENSTEIN!

Test fitting the bumper...

Gaps looked pretty good.

Time for paint prep! I figured since I was already going to be blending lots of panels, that I may as well spray the whole car to ensure that all the panels match in color.

First coat of primer!

We applied the base coat below.

Then came some coats of clear!

Starting to put things back together.

Installing the rear glass.

Panel gaps looked great! I installed some OE LED tail lights as well as set up the lights for the OE CSL trunk lid.

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; 07-28-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

The one and only time I've ever seen another LSB on the road. It was surprisingly lady driven!

Another little side quest of mine. I found a post on m3forum.net of a member out in Minnesota that had a 2004 6 speed Alpine White on Cinnamon with some issues. I decided to buy the thing since I had a ton of spare parts laying around.

I ended up fixing it, driving the car for about 6 moths, and then selling it off.

I sadly regret selling this car though, it was a gem. 2 owner and a clean title with original paint and 160k miles.

Here are some pics, I was going to put it on bring a trailer, but had a buyer lined up prior to the listing getting approved.

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; 07-28-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

It took a couple of weeks at home in the driveway to find the time to really put the odds and ends tougher with the car.

Here is it pretty much all put together.

I was able to source OE ZCP wheels from another part out of mine. See the grey M3 on the lift in the background? I also decided that I didnt like the cinnamon interior anymore. Out it went and in came a minty black nappa interior!

Started to take some real pics of the car. Ignore the ugly front plate mount. We have to have a front plate in Illinois. I also took the opportunity to swap out the ugly aftermarket LED fogs for some OE BMW ones. Much better.

The panel gaps looked great. I’m pretty happy about how it all turned out! My goal with the car is OE+. Nothing over the top, but I still want it to be "mine". I also swapped out the el diablo exhaust for a billy boat. Not sure about the tips, but it does sound better in my opinion.

Love this angle. The LED tails and OE CSL boot lid really bring together the rear end on any LSB!

Interior pic. I still have to treat the leather with leatherique in order to give it that factory matte look. But yeah, black is definitely the way to go on LSB. Very happy that I swapped it out.

Not bad for a rebuilt title, huh?

Wow, I love this thing. I truly and quite literally “built” it myself.

169k miles never looked better. I also swapped out my headlights for a minty set from a 90k mile M3. That made the front end look great!

New 6k osram bulbs went it too!

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; 12-10-2021, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Nice work. Car looks great!
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Looks great man. Super clean!

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                Nice work. Car looks great!
                Thanks, it was a wild ride but glad I followed through!

Originally posted by SGM330 View Post
                Looks great man. Super clean!
                Thank you, definitely happy with how its turning out!

Comment

Sweet build. Love seeing these relics w/ high miles restored to OEM greatness

Comment

Beautiful car, I aspire to do a rebuild like this once I have a garage of my own.
                    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

As a fellow LSB owner I'm jealous of how pretty your car has turned out. Mine has 81k and you'd swear yours was lower. Thanks for showing me what the car will look like with CSL and RGRs as I consider new wheels for the future. 👍
                      2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post
                        Sweet build. Love seeing these relics w/ high miles restored to OEM greatness
                        Same here! Its tedious and can get out of hand real quick but its also a lot of fun!

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
                        Beautiful car, I aspire to do a rebuild like this once I have a garage of my own.
                        Thanks. Do it!

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
                        As a fellow LSB owner I'm jealous of how pretty your car has turned out. Mine has 81k and you'd swear yours was lower. Thanks for showing me what the car will look like with CSL and RGRs as I consider new wheels for the future. 👍
                        It was a ton of work. What helped most I think was that I took a lot of cosmetic pieces from a 90k mile part out M3, headlights, trims, etc.

Comment

Another little update.

The M3 is currently at Performance Eurowerks getting a BBK, RACP reinforcement, and KW V3 install. Along with some other random small things. After this, it will have the big 3 completed. I can hopefully get many more miles of spirited driving out of it.

I just closed on a multi family property in March, so a lot of my time has been dedicated to the building rather than the car for now which is why I’m outsourcing the work rather than doing it myself.

Here’s how it looked prior to sending the car over to Alex’s shop.

I sold the ZCP’s because I didn’t like the ride quality. I went back with the RG-R’s and am much happier. I’m excited to see how the yellow Brembo’s will pop behind those BBS wheels!

I know it’s not BMW related but I bought this a year and a half ago.

2002 4wd 3rd gen 4runner in golden pearl. It has a TRD supercharger. It’s going to be my winter, general daily driver, and tow rig for when I decide to track the M3.

I’m slowly getting into restoring old Toyota trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by alexM3Chicago; 07-29-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I've had a few 3rd gen 4runners (currently have a manual 2000 highlander edition) and can tell you that it will struggle with towing an E46 M3 unless you put it on a major diet and tow with an aluminum trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
                              I've had a few 3rd gen 4runners (currently have a manual 2000 highlander edition) and can tell you that it will struggle with towing an E46 M3 unless you put it on a major diet and tow with an aluminum trailer.
                              That's what the supercharger is for! But yeah, any towing will be with an aluminum trailer, also I'm not planing on towing it around too much so it should hopefully do the trick!

Comment

Working...
                              X