No announcement yet.

Sharocks 2004 CB/Cinn 6MT Build Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool story about your Istanbul trip, those guys sound like a super-nice bunch! Seats are looking really slick too. I too am sick and tired of sliding around in the stock seats, but as I'm on a budget I'm probably gonna stick 1 Corbeau FX1 Pro in the driver's side.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
      You have a great car collection, love the M3 and M5 (my combo too, wish I had space for one or two more). There are some high quality mods on this car. lol about the alcantara wheel, I just spent a bunch of money on one .. we will see. Also surprised to hear that you think non-OE CSL boxes are quiet, I find my Karb almost excessive. Do you do any HPDE events in this car?

.. also where is this mythical good road south of Boston?
      Ah thanks man, I'm sure we know the same people if you're from the area. Boston is SMOL.

My gripe with Alcantara stems from use. If you have brand new Alcantara it's pretty awesome. Used, is uhh gross haha

After being in two differently modded CSL's with factory boxes, they are 100% louder but it could also be because CSL's have less of pretty much everything.

Local friends have Karbonius, Evolve and the new Turner box. Haven't heard the Turner but I've been in Karbonius and Evolve boxes at full tilt. The Evolve box was the loudest by far. Or so I thought haha.

I used to track the car, and the goal is to again. I got kicked off Limerock years ago for sound. Been kinda pissed about that ever since haha.

The road south of Boston isn't really a road. It's Blue Hills in Milton. I'm about 15 mins away from there.
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
        Very cool story about your Istanbul trip, those guys sound like a super-nice bunch! Seats are looking really slick too. I too am sick and tired of sliding around in the stock seats, but as I'm on a budget I'm probably gonna stick 1 Corbeau FX1 Pro in the driver's side.
        Thanks bud, the Istanbul connect was a compound thing. I had reached out to Driven34 on Insta and over on M3Post. I didn't hear back. One of my friends, who's here as well put in a good word.

Absolute nicest people.

Just goes to the show the car community literally does not have any bounds.

As for seats, yea man, I've had these Recaro's sitting in my basement for over 2 years. I was busy with other things but I'm so happy I got them in and the way I wanted them.

I would say, even if you're in a budget, get better seats, or seat.

A found a used Recaro SPG (super skinny like for 30 inch waists lol) for a friend with an S2000 for $300 bucks.

When I lived in Toronto I would often have things shipped to Niagara and I'd cross the border to get them. You should look into that, it would save you money and you can get cheap gas while you're in the US of A.
        2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

I would say, even if you're in a budget, get better seats, or seat.

A found a used Recaro SPG (super skinny like for 30 inch waists lol) for a friend with an S2000 for $300 bucks.

When I lived in Toronto I would often have things shipped to Niagara and I'd cross the border to get them. You should look into that, it would save you money and you can get cheap gas while you're in the US of A.
          $300 is a steal... I'm currently holding out, hoping an expired Sparco or Recaro comes up for sale. But I have heard good things about the FX1 Pro so if nothing comes up I may buy one. No rush as it's not needed till spring.

Hahaha at least you know how us Canadians feel to get shafted with importing stuff every single time you buy from the US. If it were not for COVID I'd definitely drive down, for now I use a forwarding company that will cross your package across the border to their drop-off location that's about a 10 minute drive from my house. Not too bad, just $8 per box + import duties/taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

$300 is a steal... I'm currently holding out, hoping an expired Sparco or Recaro comes up for sale. But I have heard good things about the FX1 Pro so if nothing comes up I may buy one. No rush as it's not needed till spring.

Hahaha at least you know how us Canadians feel to get shafted with importing stuff every single time you buy from the US. If it were not for COVID I'd definitely drive down, for now I use a forwarding company that will cross your package across the border to their drop-off location that's about a 10 minute drive from my house. Not too bad, just $8 per box + import duties/taxes.
            Facebook Marketplace for those kinda deals.

Kijiji ain't shit.

And yea I know how it goes up there. At least if you drive over, you get cheap gas (I filled up and brought containers to have more Shell 93) and I would stop at any American fast food establishment with whomever came down with me. I'd use the receipt as proof of me just being there for food and gas aka that was the point really.

What import taxes lol
            2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Ah thanks man, I'm sure we know the same people if you're from the area. Boston is SMOL.

My gripe with Alcantara stems from use. If you have brand new Alcantara it's pretty awesome. Used, is uhh gross haha

After being in two differently modded CSL's with factory boxes, they are 100% louder but it could also be because CSL's have less of pretty much everything.

Local friends have Karbonius, Evolve and the new Turner box. Haven't heard the Turner but I've been in Karbonius and Evolve boxes at full tilt. The Evolve box was the loudest by far. Or so I thought haha.

I used to track the car, and the goal is to again. I got kicked off Limerock years ago for sound. Been kinda pissed about that ever since haha.

The road south of Boston isn't really a road. It's Blue Hills in Milton. I'm about 15 mins away from there.
              Hah, I’ll have to be that weird guy who wears driving gloves all the time to keep the new wheel fresh

Oh nice, how could I forget about blue hills .. just always seems to be lots of slow cars and cyclists. Maybe early in the morning would be better, which to be fair probably goes for anywhere. I’m in Medford btw. Looking to get into tracking the car this year hopefully, seems like bmwcca does cool stuff around here.

I’m sure we’ll run into each other once the pandemic nonsense sorts itself out!

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Hah, I’ll have to be that weird guy who wears driving gloves all the time to keep the new wheel fresh

Oh nice, how could I forget about blue hills .. just always seems to be lots of slow cars and cyclists. Maybe early in the morning would be better, which to be fair probably goes for anywhere. I’m in Medford btw. Looking to get into tracking the car this year hopefully, seems like bmwcca does cool stuff around here.

I’m sure we’ll run into each other once the pandemic nonsense sorts itself out!
                Blue Hills is all about timing. And time of year. There are some outlets out from the main Blue Hills roads that are nice and twisty haha.

I grew up in Medford, went to middle school and high school there.

We definitely know the same people. Like I'm positive.

And yea I hope these new vaccines really help out, a lot of my favorite businesses have closed down and it sucks
                2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

A few more updates while I'm in the documenting mood.

Second update.

ECS had their Black Friday sale.

I couldn't say no.

Guess I'm going to be on the SS bandwagon sans rear muffler.

SSV1's to join my S pipe with dual Vibrant 2.5" resonators and then to the dual 63.5mm un-resonated Sec 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	149690480_240194291092947_8580844144643594024_n.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	84705

Name:	149329235_331452198197259_2478050044660605786_n.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	84706

Name:	149298770_852448881968354_8625189835578115677_n.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	84707

I couldn't find anything super flat to flat check the flanges but I didn't wanna be Supersprint Rona Welding Laziness Statistic.

That's why the Home Depot paint stirrer is there. That's it's only purpose.

Third update is kinda major.

Ever since getting a ride in two real CSL's I've been wanting an airbox. It's the last thing I need to "complete" my NA setup.

OE is like 8k new, 4.5-5k used.

My car has factory sound deadening so I'm aware it's not going to sound the same even with an OE CSL intake in my non CSL car.

Understood.

Thinner CF or a different material?

I'm strictly against 2x2 CF weaves. I think they look cheap. Even when done OE, I can't stand it. I'm a 1x1 CF fan all the way (every part on the car is 1x1 CF or else it's not on the car)

Multiple friends with Karbonius airboxes, always the same response, you don't really hear it unless you're on it. Yea I'm not spending almost 3k for something that sometimes does what it's supposed to do.

This isn't my dog.

Ok, Evolve?

By the far the loudest airbox I've personally been in a car with, but cost and the lack of 1x1 CF unless custom ordered. Meh

Browsing some local track groups, I stumbled across something that could work.

I'm lead to believe this is a rep. Well yea no shit lol

A couple reasons why I pulled trigger on this thing.

1. It was local

2. It was already installed on a running race car aka it works to a certain degree

3. It's been modified and reinforced to function for endurance use, car it came off races in CCA, AER type stuff

4. It was local, like under an hour away

5. Price

6. It's the thinest CF I have ever seen, like wow

Name:	148606821_1357456991268932_9028050077285070347_n.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	84708

Now, yes I understand it's 2x2 CF.

But here's the awesome part. It's so fugly I don't care if I paint it or just wrap it in gold foil.

Currently deciding between that.

Not sure if I'm going to go the full MAP sensor, H bridge CSL ECU etc route. I don't daily the car anymore, if Alpha N can work, I'll try it.

Last update is where a majority of the yearly fiscal funds will end up.

That's for later though.
                  2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Just do an alpha N tune from HTE and you are set.

Comment

Im stalking you for those forgeline wheels lol.

Comment

I’m stalking in the off chance this car ever gets listed for sale 😬

One of the cooler builds on this forum!! Hoping to see an update soon.

Comment

Okay ya'll asked for an update and I'm overdue for one.

So since we last we left off:

1. BBS E88's acquired and currently in the process of refinishing them
                          2. SSV1's, SS Oversized Sec 1 and Sec 2 install
                          3. CSL intake install
                          4. HTE Alpha N Dyno Tune
                          5. Moton Street Sport coilovers acquired and will be sent off for complete rebuilds

But before this, we had to say goodbye to the faithful but scum (DSG) B8.5 S4.

I put 10k miles on it in 7 months and it was a fantastic DD, it just lacked any engagement and other than flooring it in a straight line, it was pretty boring.

I will say, the interiors Audi have are top notch. Made the M3's interior feel like a 1 Series lol

In the process of listing the Audi for sale, I received confirmation from Audi NA that my S4 was a 1/1 build.

This thing can't turn for shit so I wasn't impressed but still cool.

My second 1/1 car and I'm selling it haha

I listed the car for sale and it sold at my pandemic adjustment price in 2 hours haha

Some pics of the 2014 Audi S4 in Volcano Red Metallic/Black Nappa

Name:	IMG_20210506_141223_609.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	150018

Name:	received_282970176547578.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	150019 Click image for larger version

Name:	received_483628199314286.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	150020 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210318_195316.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	150021 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210409_183427.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	150022

I had my friend shot some pro shots of the car for the sale listing. If people wanna see it, I will oblige haha.

Ok now back to the M3.

Pulled the car car outta my garage, went immediately to my local shop because the E46M Meet in NJ was scheduled not in November this time.

Car got an oil change and a once over to make sure we're good for the 3 hour drive each way.

This is what she looks like straight from the garage to the shop.

Name:	IMG_20210509_220624.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	150023 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210509_220644.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	150024 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210509_220604.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	150025 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210509_220615.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	150026

Name:	IMG_20210509_220551.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	150027

It goes without saying, the square OE CSL rears on this car with the "right" fitment is #chefskiss for me for a street car. But they kinda suck for everything else including ride quality. Driving this car in Boston is like trying to navigate the moon with a wheelbarrow.

Ok so we had a caravan to the NJ meet in Alpine with a few of my local friends. Total of 3 cars driving down from Boston at around 7 AM.

Name:	IMG_20210522_160217.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	150028

Name:	IMG_20210522_160210.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	150029

This is the same person that took photos of the S4, he does a lot of photography and he's a foodie so naturally we're good friends.

Name:	IMG_20210522_160548.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	150030 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210522_160554.jpg
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	150031 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210522_160742.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	150032 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210522_160637.jpg
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	150033

Overall a good turnout, spent some time with the fabled Ferrari Red E46 M3 and it's owner (thanks for bringing the car).

Meet wasn't as good as the year prior but this was very early in the season.

And yes the car I parked next to was one of the 2 Estoril cars there but different from Beavis's Estoril car from last year that has a stroked 3.5 NA S54.

That's a lot to take in hehehe

Said our goodbyes and we all actually left at different times haha. I wanted to stay a little later then everyone else because I really only come to NYC for food (I do not drive down here for the roads, that's for damn sure)

Stopped at our usual pizza spot in Pelham, NY, talked shop for a bit and began the quest back to Mass.

So you might be wondering why I sold the S4, other than someone willing to pay more than what I paid for it immediately, it was because my X5 was finally "done". My dog can finally go to the dog park!

So what was done exactly to the X5?

Well, let's quickly recap.

Had an oil pan leak. Fixed that. Blew the front transfer case, that took the front diff and both axles with it.

Being that it's a 6MT X5 and they're rare AF, parts are not easy to find and I have come to find out the gearing is unique to the 6MT cars with 4.10 ratios F/R.

Couldn't find a 4.10 front diff after many months so I decided to swap diffs to a taller final drive, 3.64.

Did this, it drove ok for a bit. Driveshaft was out of balance due to the wrong driveshaft being used. Front axles went again lol

A week before it's supposed to go back to the shop, I get love tapped while waiting a light. Thing is a beast but the bumper was cracked.

No biggie, just throw on the OE 4.8iS body kit on the thing instead.

Yep.

It's still on winter wheels aka stock Style 131's on Nokians but I had a set of Style 89's aka OE 4.6iS wheels ready for the summer for it.

Now it's looking the part hehe

And yes, my old OE BMW Motorsport golfball shift knob and custom extension are in this thing now LOL

Name:	IMG_20210309_231728.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	150034 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210309_231825.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	150035 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210530_223925.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	150036

So while this thing was up and down, the M5 got dropped off to Farley for some more preventative maintenance this time being a complete power steering rebuild.

It steers a tad better now as he was able to tweak the steering box a tad. It still sucks even compared to the X5 lol.

Name:	IMG_20210411_175155.jpg
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	150037 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210515_145810.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	150038 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210515_145818.jpg
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	150039

I guess lastly, since the M3 was once again my DD temporarily, I went to our local CNC at McLaren Boston conveniently located 15 mins from my house hehe.

They just became a Koenigsegg dealer so I got to see a Jesko in person. This is nuts. But the star of the show for me was the 05 Ford GT. Have had the pleasure of driving a few of them years ago, absolute monsters.

Name:	IMG_20210516_113258.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	150040 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210516_115332.jpg
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	150041

Ok that's the first part done. That takes us to about April of 2021 hahaha oh boy we got some catching up to do!
                          2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post
                            Im stalking you for those forgeline wheels lol.
                            Hey man I saw the Facebook messages finally, my IG link is in my sig. I don't update it as regularly as I would like however!

And I love the Forgelines haha
                            2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
                              I’m stalking in the off chance this car ever gets listed for sale 😬

One of the cooler builds on this forum!! Hoping to see an update soon.
                              Aww schucks man, thanks I appreciate that very much!

I don't think I'd ever list her for sale though, too many memories made with it/cannot rebuild it because half the parts are NLA at this point haha
                              2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Okay, so in May of 2021 I think I was just getting the M3 ready for more DD type driving. I don't remember doing anything specific other then driving it every once in a while.

In June, I went to LA with my family on a "reconnecting with our extended family" type trip.

Well that resulted in quite a few photos just being in LA.

But prior to that, I had to drop off the M3 for the install of my full SS exhaust sans the rear muffler, CSF radiator and my CSL intake.

Name:	IMG_20210707_215133.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	150775

As I mentioned in prior posts, I really don't like 2x2 twill weave. And this airbox came out of an actual competition race car so it wasn't perfect.

I made it "perfect" for me by tediously applying gold heat tape to it. Shit took like 3 hours lol

Name:	IMG_20210707_215202.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	150776

Name:	IMG_20210707_215258.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	150777

Name:	IMG_20210707_215239.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	150778 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210707_215442.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	150779 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210707_215547.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	150780

Pretty cool built Z4M Coupe that needed a front end. Big sad.

Ok first stop in LA.

We got 3 double doubles and 1 triple triple with animal style fries. We typically try to get the bad food outta the way from the beginning.

In N Out fries are horrendously bad no matter what you ask/do with them. Like wow so terrible lol

Name:	IMG_20210618_132834.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	150781

Well after getting to the hotel, I wanted to try a hookah lounge that was recco'd to me by some friends. Mojo Hookah Lounge in Hollywood.

Hollywood is as trash as I remember it lol

On the way, guess what I see. I CAN'T ESCAPE E46 M3'S LOL

Name:	IMG_20210619_001403.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	150782

Name:	IMG_20210619_001344.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	150783

Name:	IMG_20210619_001617.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	150784

I think there was a YT feature on this thing but it sounded SO BAD. Like holy shit lol

The hookah was trash but if you're in the area and wanna waste money, go for it.

The next day we were on the hunt for some food down in Redondo Beach.

On the way, literally a few blocks before the sign, my mother spots this black Porsche with a large wing.

At first, I'm thinking ricer.

Upon further inspection, yea no, prototype GT4 RS on Manufacturer plates.

Name:	IMG_20210618_192239.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	150785

Name:	received_4120332644679556.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	150786

Name:	received_856929971570658.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	150787

My rental Ford Bronco Sport COULD keep up haha (terrible car, but it's a Ford product so...)

The next day was Sunday, and I was told to head to Malibu for Cars and Coffee. It was actually super cool so I kinda forgot to take pics but I got a few on the way up and there.

Name:	IMG_20210620_123614.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	150788

Name:	IMG_20210620_124950.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	150789

Ran into someone I kinda recognize. Hmmm this person might be on here hahaha

Name:	IMG_20210620_114250.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	150790

Name:	IMG_20210620_113326.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	150791

Name:	IMG_20210620_114306.jpg
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	150792

Ended that afternoon at Apple Pan. It was alright.

Name:	IMG_20210622_162335.jpg
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	150793

More on this later lol
                                2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X