M3Logik's E46 M3 Track Car Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
    Nice updates! The pit and cage looks great! You keeping the M street legal?
    Maybe? I think eventually I'll give up the registration but for now I have it until next year. The inconvenience of smog, testing repairs, and driving to and from the shop are all factors.
    Instagram: M3Journal

Comment

So, I spent the majority of last night and this afternoon working on the Karbonius carbon doors. The stock doors (currently for sale) are heavy AF! I'm thinking they are 75 lbs or so, with the door cards, windows, speakers and all that. The carbon doors that I fitted are around 16 lbs. Needed to dremel just a little bit here and there but nothing serious. Needed to dremel down the door lock tabs as well. I really like the fact that they reuse the OEM interior door latch/lever. Highly recommend. Need to decide whether or not to use the stock mirrors or go with a motorsport mirror. Looking at options this evening.

Planning to install the airbox tomorrow. If I have some extra time, I'll begin the process of wrapping the car as well. Maybe a fender or two. Will wait until the lift is installed to do the brakes, suspension, exhaust and other underbody mods/maintenance that is pending.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210522_102415.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	106754

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24237.jpg Views:	4 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	106755

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210522_175358.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	106753

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210522_211401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	106751

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210522_130640.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	106752
      Last edited by M3logik; 05-22-2021, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Quick garage update:

Waited about 30 days post concrete pour to move on to the next step. Lift has been (mostly) installed. Took about 6 hours for the guys to set it up. Forklift was required! Had to get some longer hoses in order to clear the fittings/PVC conduit between the jack pads. Flush mount kit on the top side needs to be drilled in and installed as well. Overall, I'm really pleased with the progress that has been made. Glad I went with this lift instead of my original two post lift plan. I do lose the ability to have an additional parking space underneath but at least I don't have a pole in the middle of the garage work area. My ceiling is about 11.5 ft so I'm able to use the entire 72' lift travel with the M3 on it. I need to get a few odds and ends, so I'll order a few things this weekend; Oil Drain, Transmission Jack, Lexan Windows, Car Wash Supplies...

Next week, the guys are going come back to run the hoses through the conduit and mount the control unit. A separate crew is coming in to throw down some epoxy on the floors. Then the fun stuff can start.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210602_162231.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	109219

Started the Airbox Install:

Apparently I have to reflash to a stock tune because the previous owner put some BS (locked) tune on it. Trading emails and tunes with Evolve Tuning in order to get it sorted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210531_162857.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.5 KB ID:	109220

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210525_175731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	109221

Comment

Had some issues with the tune so I ended up getting a refund. Big props to Evolve for getting the refund processed quickly, without any issues. This is a sign of good customer service in my book. Car is now with my local shop getting sorted out. Going to have some major updates once it is out. Ordered some polycarbonate windows from Bimmerworld a few days ago, so, waiting for those to come in sometime next week.

Epoxy is in and the lift is now set up properly. I am 100% happy with the lift. If you own your home and you are able to fit a lift into your budget, I highly recommend. The epoxy is "OK". If I had to do it over again, I'd go with acid etched concrete with a polished clear coat on top or industrial tile. Will wait till this stuff flakes up before making changes. Also, might do a light gray coat of paint on the walls sometime within the next couple of months.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210609_083723.jpg Views:	21 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	115397

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210610_201829 (2).jpg Views:	23 Size:	186.3 KB ID:	115396
          Last edited by M3logik; 07-17-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I'm a concrete floor kind of guy myself.

Loving this thread man.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

September update:

Picked up the car from Lang Racing and had a ton of work completed.

Install CF Roof
              Rod Bearing Job
              Valve Adjustment
              Beisan Vanos Rebuild
              Bimmerworld Oil Cooler Install
              Supersprint V1 Header, Straight Pipe Section I, Resonated Section II and Race Exhaust Install
              Ground Control Coilover Install
              AP Racing Brake Kit Install
              Motor Mounts 75D
              Transmission Mounts 75D
              Turner End Links
              Turner Front and Rear Sway Bars
              SPL Adjustable Camber Arm
              Rewire Mishimoto Fan
              Fix Locked ECU, Install Apha N Tune
              Aerocatch Locking Hood Pins Install
              Replace Power Steering Pulley
              Replace Driveshaft Coupler

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210813_132801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.4 KB ID:	124970

A picture of my track car and a real racecar on the right. I'm such a poser haha.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210813_132807.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.0 KB ID:	124971

Rod bearings didn't look too bad. Only one had copper showing. Glad I've got a new set in there regardless. Also glad I didn't attempt to DIY. Maybe next time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rod Bearings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.9 KB ID:	125288

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210830_190914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	124972

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210830_152654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	124973

After I got it back home, the tech came over and replaced the windshield. Was a 20 minute job.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210903_164042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.5 KB ID:	124974

A quick test fit of the "happybuyitnow" CSL diffuser. I'll use this until I am able to get my hands on an OEM unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210830_192632.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	124975
              Last edited by M3logik; 09-07-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Would you mind taking a few more pictures of the paint line on happybuyitnow's diffuser? I've seen crazy variations on their product where the paint line starts.

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post
                  Would you mind taking a few more pictures of the paint line on happybuyitnow's diffuser? I've seen crazy variations on their product where the paint line starts.
                  This one is unpainted. I'm going to wrap it matte grey to match the rest of the car.

If you are worried about the paint line variations, I'd say buying the unpainted one is best. This doesn't look like a super high quality part. It does get the job done tho!

Comment

Coming along nicely! I see you have the CSL snorkel, were you thinking of adding the H-bridge to your DME to make it functional? I decided I want a more OEM look and am thinking of going that route. Any plans to get it dyno'd? Based on other members' dynos, I'd think it would be close to around 330whp.

Comment

Thanks brah! Sure is coming along.

I like the look of the OEM snorkel in the engine bay. Do it! If you can get your hands on an OK CSL rep bumper, you may as well do the OEM ducting too.

I ended up removing the flap. So will likely just keep it in that configuration.

Will dynotune it after I get the injectors back from RC Engineering. Maybe in October, based on how the project is going.

Also, currently waiting for some M6 allen bolts and ruvnuts that'll be used to install the polycarbonate windows. Funny how small stuff like bolts will hold up my project.
                      Last edited by M3logik; 09-11-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Who's down for a meetup at logik's pad when he's done?
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                          Who's down for a meetup at logik's pad when he's done?
                          I'm definitely going to organize some meetups in the Laguna Beach area after my whip is drivable.

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post

I'm definitely going to organize some meetups in the Laguna Beach area after my whip is drivable.
                            Down for crystal cove, pch whatever son but it's going to be a few months til my whip is done too.

Comment

Working on the Fivestar Racecar Bodies Polycarbonate windows. Not too difficult. Ended up using a rivnut tool and M6 bolts all around the window.

Ended up going with black hardware. Need to find some black washers or go through the bluing process to turn my steel washers black to match the bolts.

Also sold the black ARC 8s and installed the ARC-8Rs. I might miss the black wheels???

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_094427.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	126120

Name:	20210911_100929.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	126121

Name:	20210911_171114.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	126122

I still have to spraypaint the side windows. Will probably tackle that tonight.

After that, I'm going to install the rear polycarbonate window and the front bumper. Still need to figure out what I am going to do about the side mirrors as well.

Comment

You will want to use stainless steel fasteners and rivnuts. Steel will eventually rust even if its black oxide coated.

Comment

Working...
                                X