M3Logik's E46 M3 Track Car Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    You will want to use stainless steel fasteners and rivnuts. Steel will eventually rust even if its black oxide coated.
    Thanks for the heads up! Swapped the rear window rivnuts to stainless steel and will need to pick up some stainless steel bolts as well. Will replace the current rivnuts with stainless steel ones at some point.

Also, will get them powdercoated black, along with the washers to complete the look.
    Last edited by M3logik; 10-04-2021, 01:21 PM.
    Instagram: M3Journal

Comment

Over the last week or two I've been doing a bunch of different things with the project car:

Adjusted the hoodpins, installed the kidney grills (still need to do some adjusting), and installed the CSL scoop that I picked up from a forum member a few weeks back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210925_194425_rs.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	130011

Installed side mirrors (new glass too), which were a PITA! Ended up doing an OK job, not too bad. Used 1' M6 bolts instead of the stock bolts.

Name:	20210919_131254_rs.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	130017

Created a paper template

Name:	20211004_133550_rs.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	130018
      Drilled the holes, also took out the Dremel to bore the holes out to fit appropriately.

Name:	20210919_131248_rs.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	130016
      Completed the install

Name:	20210919_153916_rs.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	130014

Going to replace with black washers at some point...

Name:	20210919_153928.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	130019

Also installed the polycarbonate rear window

Name:	20210928_175102_rs.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	130015
      Attached Files

Comment

karb got some sick ass windows for those doors
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          karb got some sick ass windows for those doors
          Brah! I saw those and I am tempted. Who knows I might get them down the line. They are a bit pricey!

Comment

ya they are but we m3 ballers son!
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

rivets | McMaster-Carr

Check this out for stainless rivet nuts.

Comment

Latest updates:

Originally wanted to go with the same matte grey wrap that I used on my last track car build but ended up going with Avery Dennison's Gloss Pearl White instead.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shop...-wrapping-film

This color definitely brings about a bit more character than the matte grey. Will upload pics in a bit!

Ended up ordering 25 yards of wrap material, which was more than enough. I did have to rewrap the fender and I did cut my pieces a bit large in order to have some more wiggle room. You can definitely get away with less than 25 yards, if you are a bit more efficient. This is my second "wrap" project. Went much faster and smoother than the first time, that's for sure!

Also sent off a new set of injectors to RC Engineering to get flow tested. Results were good and will be installing the new set along with a new fuel filter sometime this week.

What is left:

Fuel filter
                New Injectors
                Dyno tune
                Corner balance
                Lightweight battery (Mini cooper?)
                Paint the window surrounds
                Install random interior and exterior trim pieces
                Battery isolator
                Carbon instrument panel

Kind of split on the battery as the car is already light in the back and I do want a good amount longevity with battery life.

Looking like the first trackday will be in January.

Started with the bumper

Click image for larger version  Name:	bumper.JPG Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	137348

Click image for larger version  Name:	bumper 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	137349

Tackled the trunk in a couple of different pieces

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	137350

Progress pic of the front... not too bad

Click image for larger version  Name:	front 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	137351

Buttoning up the front

Click image for larger version  Name:	front 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	137352

Moving to the side, once again, tackling in pieces, rather than doing the whole panel at once

Click image for larger version  Name:	side1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	137354

Click image for larger version  Name:	fuel 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	137355

Moving to the rear quarter

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear quarter.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.1 KB ID:	137357

Putting it all together...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side View.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	137356

Still have trim pieces and other stuff to put on...not looking too shabby, I must say!

Was having some trouble wrapping the mirrors. Had an idea that I'd just take them to a wrap shop and get the mirrors done. Had quotes ranging from $250 - $350, with me providing the material. Gonna ditch that idea and just do the best that I can. Gonna be scouring Youtube tonight to find some different techniques. Hoping to wrap it in one or two pieces for the mirror cap then one piece for the base plate. It's harder than it looks!!!! But at the price point the wrap shops are charging, I'm just gonna keep trying until I run out of material!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by M3logik; 11-15-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

You can't tease us like that with no pics! White is a great choice. The e46 looks absolutely amazing in white and it should help keep it cooler as well. Stoked for you and the build!

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                    You can't tease us like that with no pics! White is a great choice. The e46 looks absolutely amazing in white and it should help keep it cooler as well. Stoked for you and the build!
                    Thanks bro! It is coming along nicely. We are at the final stage, for sure!

Pics added!

Comment

Weekend Update:

Got the injectors back from RC engineering and installed them along with the fuel filter over the weekend. Job wasn't too difficult. Took about 3 hours.

Going to get dyno'd, corner balanced at Lang Racing at the next opportunity. Also looking at potential trackdays in January.

New injectors looking good

Click image for larger version  Name:	injector report.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	139438

Removing the air rail and fuel rail

Click image for larger version  Name:	mid job z.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	139442

Old injectors out

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211128_184007_454.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	139440

Old filter

Click image for larger version  Name:	fuel filter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	139439

Started up without any issues. No leaks or codes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Done.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.8 KB ID:	139441
                      Last edited by M3logik; 11-28-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

So, the M3 is pretty much ready to go. Only cosmetic / trim items left. Will be looking at track days in Feb. Looking at Willow Springs or Laguna Seca.

Latest updates performed at Lang Racing:

Reflashed to a HTE tune
                        Cornerbalanced to 52.17% F / 47.83% (1/3 tank)
                        Coded out seatbelt, airbags, and seat occupancy sensor
                        Flushed coolant with water wetter
                        Replaced tensioners
                        Fresh Alignment

I'll likely swap out the front strut bar and get a lighter unit. Will also place an order for those new Karbonius fenders as well.

Also, fitting this nice piece this morning

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220116_191603.jpg Views:	9 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	148515
                        Last edited by M3logik; 01-17-2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I may have missed it but do you have a final weight on the car? amazing build BTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                            I may have missed it but do you have a final weight on the car? amazing build BTW!
                            It's around 2,960 lbs with 1/3 of a tank. I'm taking it to the scales next week to weigh it again after I figure out these SMG issues that I'm encountering.

Thanks bro, has been a fun ride thus far!

Comment

A few weeks ago I was left stranded because the gears would not engage. SMG fun! Had to limp off the freeway and continuously cycle the car in order to get the gears to engage. Glad I was near an offramp. Waited about an hour and got towed home.

Had a ton of codes related to SMG and the hydraulic unit. Took it to Lang Racing. They ran a bunch of diagnostics and did some troubleshooting. Upon inspection of the clutch unit, the mechanic found that it was fried and needed replacing. I guess the guy that had the car before me was fond of donuts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220215_175009_119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.3 KB ID:	154657

I've got the car back now and the following parts were replaced:

Used low mileage SMG Pump
                              New OEM Clutch Kit
                              New OEM Flywheel
                              2x Front Speed Sensors

Going to do a long shakedown this weekend and prep for the next trackday. I've got a bunch of small things to install as well.
                              Last edited by M3logik; 02-18-2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

So, had an issue where the car would not start. Kept turning over but would not fire up. I planned on replacing with a new fuel pump anyways because I have had a fuel pump die on me and leave me stranded before, so I started with that. Also replaced the fuel pump relay and the main fuse. No dice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220220_193942.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.4 KB ID:	156939

Then I replaced the other fuse, which would normally be easily accessible in the engine bay, but mine is now hidden under the dash because the whole electrical box was relocated due to the strut tower cage tie in. Took me an hour of fiddling around to get to it. Hey, that's the life!

After I changed out that 20A fuse (which did not appear to be blown), the beast fired right up. I really should have started with that last fuse eh?

So now I'm in a position to put some miles on the new clutch, flywheel, and used/low mileage SMG pump. Let's see how it goes!
                                Last edited by M3logik; 03-04-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X