MTiz's Alpine White E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTiz's Alpine White E46 M3

Finally get to make my own journal on here, I'm super excited . This first post is going to be ripped straight from my introduction post.

On December 31st I bought my childhood dream car, this 2005 Alpine White E46 M3. Ever since I played NFS: Most Wanted on my older brothers PS2 back in the day, I knew I had to get one someday, and now I own one. Even amidst the pandemic, everything seemed to fall into place for me this year-- I graduated college, got a job, and was finally able to put away some money.

I wasn't too picky when I was searching for "the one". I had a solid budget of $20k, wanted something with excellent service history, good bodywork, Coupe + 6-Speed, and a color different from the standard Carbon Black/Titanium Silver. I wanted something with lower mileage (around the 100k mark) but wasn't opposed to higher miles with good history (this is key).

Two weeks ago, 02_lsb told me that a friend of his was going to sell his Alpine White soon and gave me his number. The seller is the owner of GT Performance, a Porsche race shop in Maryland. The first time I laid eyes on the car it was parked next to his Guards Red 997.1 GT3 and I knew I had to have it. We got the ball rolling and I was able to bring this beauty home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2655.jpeg
Views:	4938
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	77411

Full Specs:

2005 BMW M3
    - Alpine White on Dove
    - 6-Speed Manual
    - 143k Miles
    - Business CD, PDC, Power Seats (Non-Heated unfortunately), Xenons, Anthracite Headliner, Sunroof, and a few other goodies.
    - NO RUST 😎

Mod List:
    - KW V2's
    - Short Shift Kit (Unknown Brand)
    - Supersprint Lightweight Section 3 w/ Rasp Eliminator Pipe
    - Dice MediaBridge w/ Bavsound Speakers
    - Could have gotten BBS CH's but 02_lsb snaked me out of them LOL

Sent it through a PPI and it was pretty clean, but there are a few issues I need to address:
    - The OEM 19's need tires immediately
    - Left front control arm ball joint has play
    - Oil Pan Gasket is leaking (see more on this below)
    - Motor/Trans mounts are old and starting to mushroom
    - Not major but the driver's Dove seat is in pretty rough condition (why is every single Dove Grey interior in poor condition?) All of the other seats, door cards, and dash are in great condition though.

The rod bearings were allegedly done (by the owner before the one I bought the car from) around 130k miles but the seller couldn't find the service records. From my research doing the oil pan gasket is 90% of the rod bearing job so I should probably just do them again, correct? Beisan Vanos upgrades were also supposedly done but similar situation-- I will probably get the valve cover off soon to check the Vanos.

My Indy and I inspected the subframe up on the lift and there were no visible cracks at the moment. I know everyone is going to tell me it's definitely cracked, but I'm kicking that can down the road until later in 2021

Besides those issues, I do believe I've scored an incredibly clean car and I'm so excited to truly be apart of "the club" after lurking and posting on both here and the OG M3Forum for so many years. Dreams really do come true, and hard work certainly pays off.
    Attached Files
    2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Threw my vin into VinWiki not expecting anything and found a bunch of pics from 2014. The car was painfully stock back then

Name:	IMG_2667.JPG
Views:	1067
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	77426

Name:	IMG_2676.JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	77427
    Attached Files

Comment

Not even a week into ///M3 ownership and I'm getting acclimated to M-Tax. I want to take care of the maintenance issues as quickly as possible to prevent further damage and bought a bunch of stuff. Hankook Ventus V12's, Oil Change Kit, Rod Bearing Kit, Motor and Trans mounts, and Control Arms w/ FCAB's. My wallet hates me and I want to cry, the things we do for these german machines.

My roommate actually works at Walmart and let me know I can get the tires put on for super cheap with his discount. Of course, he didn't tell me until after I already bought them but I'm not going to complain lol. Furthermore, the man I bought the car from is gracious enough to let me use his shop and help me work on the car for a fair labor price. I hope to get all of this stuff done as soon as the parts roll in and then I can seriously enjoy the car for a few months.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Diving right in with the right stuff.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Nice pick up. Kudos for focusing on maintenance first!

Comment

Impromptu photoshoot with my friend's Toyota Mark ii JZX90. Super cool car-- Straight piped 1JZ-GTE, 2-owners, 66k~ miles, and a couple of nice bolt-ons. Looks great, sounds insane, and will soon have the 4-speed slushbox removed. Want to get some high-quality photos taken with an actual camera soon but my iPhone XR will suffice for now 😎

Name:	IMG_2701.jpeg
Views:	974
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	78135 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpeg
Views:	1016
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	78134 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpeg
Views:	1030
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	78133 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.jpeg
Views:	969
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	78136
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MTiz; 01-10-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Great pick up!! Nice to see you're getting down to business with maintenance... Most people disregard dove grey interior, but with a carpet swap I'm a big fan. Here is some post-maintenance inspiration (not mine) 😉

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post

Great pick up!! Nice to see you're getting down to business with maintenance... Most people disregard dove grey interior, but with a carpet swap I'm a big fan. Here is some post-maintenance inspiration (not mine) 😉
                I've actually seriously considered doing something like this:

Name:	a55441e3e563a3609f4ccde88c409645.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	78144

Black carpet and dash, with two-tone door cards, and grey seats with black backs. Ultimately I think I'm going to swap to a red interior down the line but I might just end up doing this.

Comment

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpeg
Views:	1035
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	78147 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.jpeg
Views:	1014
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	78149 Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
Views:	1219
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	78148

Another quick photoshoot when I was visiting a friend up in Towson. Later on this night I went to a car meet out in Eldersburg and made a bunch of new ///M Friends. I met one dude with an identical spec E46 M3 to mines-- Alpine White on Dove 6-Speed, only his was a convertible. What are the odds . Forgot to snap pics but have a few videos on my Instagram.

Comment

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpeg
Views:	947
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	80830 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760.jpeg
Views:	1019
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	80831 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2759.jpeg
Views:	2488
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	80832 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2762.jpeg
Views:	899
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	80833 Quick photoshoot on some backroads last weekend
                    Attached Files

Comment

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpeg
Views:	938
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	80835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.jpeg
Views:	934
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	80836 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2820.jpeg
Views:	923
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	80837 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2810.jpeg
Views:	951
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	80838 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpeg
Views:	929
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	80839 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2804.jpeg
Views:	910
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	80840

Spent Friday the 22nd and Saturday the 23rd refreshing the bottom end of this car. Did the full rod bearing kit from FCP Euro to replace a leaky oil pan gasket, new rod bearings, motor mounts, control arms with bushings, raised the KW V2's a little bit, and aligned the car. The thousand-mile break-in period is going to suck as the car now drives better than ever. Wish I would have gotten pictures while. it was still on the lift, but I sandblasted the Oil Pan and it looks brand new.

Shout-out to GT Performance for doing the whole job in two days and letting me watch and help out as much as I could. Wasn't happy with the bill however hopefully I don't have to spend any money on maintenance anytime soon.

Comment

So I haven't updated this thing in 6 months and a LOT has happened since then so I'll just jump right in. Shortly after my last update of getting the rod bearings and all the other stuff taken care of, my car started losing oil pressure. It got to the point where at warm idle, it literally wouldn't register anything on the oil pressure gauge.

Name:	IMG_2857.jpeg
Views:	834
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	115805

Name:	IMG_3021.jpeg
Views:	800
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	115806

Me and my Indy went at it for over a month as I was blamed for supplying bad bearings causing the pressure to drop. I took initiative and began researching and replacing stuff on my own, in my driveway, in the cold lol (no garage, unfortunately). The biggest thing I did was the Oil Filter Housing.

Name:	63717795177__D6C7372B-8AA0-4C4D-AACB-7C82A062F0AD.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	115807

Name:	IMG_3018.jpeg
Views:	794
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	115808I ended up snapping a water-line during installation somehow and ended up breaking one of the fan shrouds out of rage during the process. I could never be a mechanic lol. After I finished this job instead of getting low pressure at just warm-idle, the red oil light was on at all times no matter what I did. I was committed to dropping the subframe and doing the bearings/pump myself at this point. Eventually, enough was enough and my father stepped in and deal with my Indy. They ended up coming to the agreement that they'd fix the issue free of charge if I came in and helped with the labor. Per the agreement, I had to pony up for all OEM parts-- BMW brand rod bearings are way more expensive than ACL's and a Pierburg Oil Pump set me back yet another $700+ dollars.

Name:	IMG_3057.jpeg
Views:	798
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	115809

Name:	IMG_3133.jpeg
Views:	798
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	115810

Towed the M3 up there and we knocked everything out of the park. New Oil Pump, OEM Bearings, fresh gaskets, as well as new tie rods (old ones were shot and I finished them off when I dropped the subframe in my driveway LOL), and an alignment, and the car was running like a top. It wasn't without some hiccups but two days of hard labor and we were back in business.

Name:	IMG_3151.jpeg
Views:	864
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	115811

In just 2021 alone this car has had 2 different oil pumps and FOUR sets of rod bearings!! Originals I got the car with, ACL's extra clearance (my mistake ), ACL normal clearance, and OEM BMW lol. My poor poor wallet.

Comment

At this point, I was truly ready to unleash the car. With pretty much everything in the bottom end being brand spanking new, I was ready to start having some fun with it.

Name:	IMG_3145.jpeg
Views:	803
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	115813
                          Ticked 145k and the 1,500-mile break-in. At this point I was determined to go to all the car meets and drive as much as possible. Small photo dump incoming

Name:	IMG_3166.jpeg
Views:	814
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	115816

Name:	IMG_3173.jpeg
Views:	797
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	115815

Name:	IMG_3180.jpeg
Views:	801
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	115817

Name:	IMG_3231.jpeg
Views:	796
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	115818
                          Attached Files

Comment

At this point, I was ready to start doing some mods to truly make the car feel like mines. I ended up doing tint, new kidneys and side vents, and new headlight lenses all around the same time.

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	115825
                            Before

Name:	IMG_3281.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	115824

After. Pics don't do it justice, it made a MASSIVE difference.

Name:	64176017718__43C44E6F-39C7-4CA3-B06D-A2A5F67F57E1.JPG
Views:	788
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	115826

Bought these off of a forum member. Corny M-Stripe delete made the front end look much more mature, and the old and foggy side vents now looked brand new.

Name:	IMG_3254.jpeg
Views:	774
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	115827 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3253.jpeg
Views:	824
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	115828

35% on the front and 20% in the rear absolutely set the paint job off. I got the tint from a local shop to my parents house off my Dad's recommendation. A few months down the line i'm not super satisfied with how it came out and definitely should have ponied up more money to get it perfect. However, it still looks 90% good so I can't complain too much.

The next update will get into the adventure that was E46M.East and other things I've done since then.

Comment

the refresh on the headlight lenses makes the front end look almost new. great looking alpine white m3 you got there

Comment

Working...
                              X