#The500kMileM3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#The500kMileM3

Previously had a journal going on M3Forums.com ultimately made some progress with making the car road worthy, had a few mechanical setbacks and lost interest for a bit and never really updated the build there.

The car at this point is largely dedicated to HPDE.

My other vehicle at the start of this was an 03 330i which doubled for a long time as a daily and track vehicle.

Current Build List;

Engine;
    S52
    87mm JE 11.5:1 forged pistons/pro seal rings
    Eagle H Beam rods
    ARP head studs
    ARP main studs
    VAC coated main bearings
    VAC coated rod bearings
    Fidanza 13lb flywheel
    Clutch masters sprung clutch
    Stock pressure plate
    VAC ATI OBD2 damper/AC pulley
    BW oil pan baffle
    Achilles upgraded oil pump shaft and safety wired
    Cometic .080 MLS HG
    Riot Racing Camshafts
    Supertech single groove valves/keepers
    Supertech springs/retainers
    SLR oil pump tensioner
    Race land euro headers (V-banded)
    Dr Vanos rebuilt vanos unit
    M50 manifold
    BW 3.5” TB Hose
    803 MAF
    AFE magnum intake

Tune;
    Stage Fabrication and Performance

Cooling;
    Stewart Racing water pump
    CX Racing radiator
    BW silicone coolant hoses
    Single Spal 14” fan
    Motion Motorsport panel and radiator duct

Suspension/chassis;
    Fortune Auto coilovers revalved
    96+ appropriate plates
    H&R strut bars 28mm front 24mm rear
    Reinforced RTAB pockets
    Rev shift 95A green
    -Fcab bushings
    -rtab bushings
    -subframe bushings
    -diff bushings
    -motor mounts
    -trans mounts
    Megan Racing adjustable camber arms
    H&R 28mm front bar 27mm rear bar
    Proflex front and rear poly sway bar bushings

Drive;
    Stock 3.23 diff/housing/cover
    Rebuilt lsd with addition of 3rd clutch (Porsche parts ) 40%/40%
    Detents renewed on zf 5 speed
    Kinematic Speed chassis mount shifter
    Garagistic DSSR

Braking;
    Stock calipers resealed with new pistons
    Garagistic brass guides
    Garagistic stainless brake lines and clutch line

Interior;
    NRG quick release
    Sparco wheel
    Kinematic Speed half cage
    OMP WC-R seats
    Schroth 2" harnesses
    Garagistic adapters
    Passenger Motion Motorsports seat brackets
    Driver Garagistic seat bracket
    VAC anti sub mount on both sides

Original Thread;

I have worked with the previous owner (second owner) since starting at the dealership in 2014.
    He has taken pretty good care of the M3 being that it was driven over 160 miles 5 days a week.
    last year he spent a few days chasing down a vibration, which resulted in him replacing just about every bushing under the car save the motor mounts and trans mounts. It ended up being a combo of the differential bushings and drive shaft.

The P.O. purchased a 335D and decided the car would take up to much of his time if he kept it. I have always joked with him that I wanted to buy it so he tried to call my bluff when he found out that our Sales department was going to send it to auction if traded in. Ultimately a deal was made and I had to explain to my Wife where some $'s had gone.

Known issues:
    500k+ miles.
    Smokes a lot! currently using 1-2 litres per week with mostly interstate driving.
    Rear bumper/trunk appears stained with oil.
    Windshield is split in multiple areas.
    Alternator whines. (i think its the alternator)
    Front bumper and hood are riddled with rock chips.
    radio display is dead.
    IHKA temp control adjustment only available from driver side button, the passenger stays above 80 but temps out of the vent do not reflect this.
    Seats creak a bit, but then again its a 20 year old car with 500k+
    Rear brake pads are at 3mm.
    Fuel pump is original!

I have tried a few snake oil tricks to get the smoking to subside, though it has gotten much better, I think a tear down is in order. I suspect the oil rings to be stuck/coated in carbon. I also suspect the valve guides are worn heavily. The P.O. had recently replaced the valve seals and oil separator in attempt to stop the smoking.

Not exactly sure when I will get around to removing/disassembling the motor....

END original, will just recap from here.

Photos before any work began

It didn’t take long to start on the motor. Less than a year after purchase I was pulling the motor to see what I was dealing with.

I found some heavy scoring in cylinder 6 and I believe 3

I also found that the cylinder head vin did not match the block/vehicle. DCS and Carfax search leads me to believe the donor car for the cylinder head was totaled around 70k miles. DCS falls off around 70k and total loss reported.

The previous owner purchased the car ~80k with no knowledge of the head replacement, no information that I could locate as to why either.

Parts started showing up. Engine shop got things back to me in short order.

The build consisted of the following;
    87mm 11.5:1 JE pistons
    Eagle rods
    Cometic .070 Hg
    ARP hardware head/main
    Glyco bearings
    Raceland euro headers
    Riot racing s52 cams
    Supertech valve springs/keepers
    Fidanza flywheel
    Stock clutch/pressure plate
    M50 manifold
    RK tune

And install went smoothly. After I realized that motor mount arm was upside down ^

I soon discovered that after reaching operating temp the oil lamp would illuminate when coming to a stop. A mechanical gauge showed 5psi when coming to a stop. then would go to about 7 and maxed at 15 when driving. I realized I had not installed the oil jets (BLUNDER) , so I spent the night pulling the motor back out, removing the crank and reinstalling with new jets.

The car did great after this. I got it tuned by Jordan at RK and began driving fairly frequently, had him revise the tune for 24lb injectors and a 803 maf, the car felt great.

I began renewing various wear items on the chassis. installing new suspension, rebuilding brake calipers after the left front blew fluid everywhere after a track day and many other things.

However I noticed over the course of a few thousand miles and a few track days post break in that the oil was showing metallic it appeared to be responding to a magnet. I put up the mental defenses and convinced myself it was just prolonged break in metals.

I attended a local Dyno Day and got the car on the rollers, numbers were to me impressive, 260hp and 266tq (dynojet) on decel though the car smoked, this was new to me.

A few people over the next weeks informed me that under heavy decel I was smoking. I began to monitor this and just assumed that my lack of oil jets at start up were probably going to cause me to have to rebuild again. I put the car to the side for about a year at this point.

I had put about 9k miles on the engine/car leading up to the realization that something was wrong.
    Last edited by Bimmerteknik; 02-18-2021, 05:52 PM.

May of 2020,

Having purchased an X5d and sold the ZHP I was out a reliable track car. So I was again motivated to sort through the M3.

I pulled the motor again. I didn’t like the anxiety of potentiallybeing away from the shop for weeks and my car being torn down (pandemic problems) so I decided I would do this out of my TINY garage.

I had also made contact with another machine shop closer to my home who was to hone the block and go through the head.

The findings were interesting, Cylinder 3 and 6 were out of round significantly, all but the 2 exhaust valves the previous shop had renewed were not serviceable.

After talking with the machinist I sourced a used m52 block and purchased a VAC torque plate, Supertech single keeper race valves and coated bearings.

Machining done and head rebuilt, I reassembled with the addition of some new components as I had now decided the car will be mostly HPDE use.

Post assembly the DME was sent to Stage Fabrication and Performance for a start up tune. Nothing significant had changed with the build, save the .080 hg in lieu of .070 due to availability. I just liked the idea of having a local tuner available.

After installing the DME I did a quick run in and dropped the car off for an initial dyno tune.

Results are 262 HP and 239TQ

I imagine a bit more can be squeezed out of it but gonna let it get a few miles before going back.
    Last edited by Bimmerteknik; 02-18-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Post “recent” rebuild of the motor I’ve addressed a few things on the car.

Subframe bushings

Rear diff refresh and added 3rd clutch, found some not so settling damage/wear while I was in there. A few of the bolts holding the lsd unit together had sheared off and were loose in the bottom of the diff.

New detents in trans

Rebuilt P.S. pump

Reinforced RTAB pockets

Reinforced rear sway bar

Rebuilt front control arms

All New wheel bearings front and rear

Regressed/sealed axles

Last edited by Bimmerteknik; 02-18-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Most recently, having taken care of all the mileage worn parts. I have focused on more exciting things,
        I dropped the car off with Kinematic Speed out of Charlotte, NC for a bolt in half cage.

Could not be happier with the experience, it was finished on time and they kept me updated throughout the process.

Installed a set of OMP WRC-R
        Garagistic adapters
        Garagistic driver seat mount
        Motion Motorsport passenger seat mount
        Schroth 2x2 quick latch harnesses
        VAC anti-sub mounts

Removed the remaining passenger airbag and module shortly after the seat install.

While my car was at Kinematic Speed I discovered they were developing a chassis mount shifter. When I picked up they were kind enough to let me take a gander at some preproduction pieces.

I had been dancing around the idea of a different chassis mount shifter, leaning toward CAE.

After seeing the KS shifter and having such a good experience with the cage install, I had to go with that. Selling points being aesthetics, price, adjustability, no console cutting required, integrated rubber seal boot and It was designed to be installed by one person.

This thing is nice!
        Install was easy and worked with my Garagistic DSSR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All things considered, that car looks amazing for having over 500k on the chassis. Super cool project.
          E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
          Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Joined TSCC for their season opening Auto-X test and tune. Not sure how it would play out later in the season but the M3 was competitive in SM.

Photos via www.szimbrichphotography.com

Comment

Time trials at NCCAR 4/24-4/25 I was in the M2 class alone.

As the days got warmer time fell off. Fastest laps were during practice/qualifying. 1:36.612

Kumho v720 front 39psi hot rear 38psi hot
              PowerStop track spec pads on front and rear.
              Meyle rotors
              Rotors were cracking in the front by the end of the weekend.

Comment

Any updates on this car?

Comment

Working...
                X