Cali members with aftermarket exhaust... need advice for smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cali members with aftermarket exhaust... need advice for smog

I'm currently living in Michigan where we do not have smog checks !

Next summer I will be moving back to SoCal and need to start preparing the E46 M to pass cali smog. I have SGT headers and SGT resonated section 1 without cats which obviously wouldn't pass the visual inspection (I dont have a CEL because of tune). I was thinking about going with euro headers/section 1 to possibly pass the visual inspection with the cats on section 1. Those of you who have this setup, based on your experience do you think I will pass the cali visual smog? do they usually check?? or should I just swap back to US spec headers and section 1 and save myself the headache? I'ts been 9 years since I left cali so I am not sure how strict they are now that everything is done through the OBDII scanner... back then state referee would visually inspect everything ! keep in mind car will be a garage queen and driven 500 miles or less per year so max performance is not a necessity but I wouldn't mind a few more ponies if I can get away with it.
    Last edited by Maxima SE; 06-20-2020, 05:06 AM.
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Even though I've got the SS cats, I've never had anyone peek under and do a visual.
    17 iO1 i3
    16 F22 M235i
    08 E93 M3
    04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
      I'm currently living in Michigan where we do not have smog checks !

Next summer I will be moving back to SoCal and need to start preparing the E46 M to pass cali smog. I have SGT headers and SGT resonated section 1 without cats which obviously wouldn't pass the visual inspection (I dont have a CEL because of tune). I was thinking about going with euro headers/section 1 to possibly pass the visual inspection with the cats on section 1. Those of you who have this setup, based on your experience do you think I will pass the cali visual smog? do they usually check?? or should I just swap back to US spec headers and section 1 and save myself the headache? I'ts been 9 years since I left cali so I am not sure how strict they are now that everything is done through the OBDII scanner... back then state referee would visually inspect everything ! keep in mind car will be a garage queen and driven 500 miles or less per year so max performance is not a necessity but I wouldn't mind a few more ponies if I can get away with it.
      Depends on who you go to. I have had two places check thoroughly (like under the hood, looking for headers), one failed me for the KN (even though it was carb certified) but the sticker was missing. No sniffer here but if they smell your catless setup, they will flag it or look very closely. You should run cats (for the smell of it alone, you're not doing anyone behind you any favors without them and you aren't getting a performance benefit without them so why not).
      The euro route is safer but with databases and diagrams, they know where to look for them so that is not a guarantee either. And once you fail, you can't just try another shop because the car will be flagged and you will be forced to go to the same place that failed you and will have put the stock stuff back on. So what to do? It's all a crapshoot. I'd get some good cats in section 1, put the stock muffler on for the check for sure and cross your fingers. If it flags you will have to go to stock (which you were thinking of doing anyway) so nothing is lost except an extra trip to the smog station. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Jemster View Post
        Even though I've got the SS cats, I've never had anyone peek under and do a visual.
        Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Depends on who you go to. I have had two places check thoroughly (like under the hood, looking for headers), one failed me for the KN (even though it was carb certified) but the sticker was missing. No sniffer here but if they smell your catless setup, they will flag it or look very closely. You should run cats (for the smell of it alone, you're not doing anyone behind you any favors without them and you aren't getting a performance benefit without them so why not).
        The euro route is safer but with databases and diagrams, they know where to look for them so that is not a guarantee either. And once you fail, you can't just try another shop because the car will be flagged and you will be forced to go to the same place that failed you and will have put the stock stuff back on. So what to do? It's all a crapshoot. I'd get some good cats in section 1, put the stock muffler on for the check for sure and cross your fingers. If it flags you will have to go to stock (which you were thinking of doing anyway) so nothing is lost except an extra trip to the smog station. Good luck!
        thanks guys....

I am thinking of just going with OEM headers/section 1 to be safe. I'm not gonna have the time to deal with state referee etc over a car that I will drive 500 miles a year. The fact that you mentioned diagrams scares me !

Do they really fail you with aftermarket muffler? I thought those were OK as long as they meet the decibel requirements.

Man, I am so going to miss living in Detroit... rusted out cars drive here without a muffler or cats and no one gives a damn !
        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

thanks guys....

I am thinking of just going with OEM headers/section 1 to be safe. I'm not gonna have the time to deal with state referee etc over a car that I will drive 500 miles a year. The fact that you mentioned diagrams scares me !

Do they really fail you with aftermarket muffler? I thought those were OK as long as they meet the decibel requirements.

Man, I am so going to miss living in Detroit... rusted out cars drive here without a muffler or cats and no one gives a damn !
          The muffler alone probably won't fail you. But it will draw the referees attention to look closer. People drive rusted out cars here too without mufflers (often without bumpers too) so you should feel right at home. I'd say trashy cars with trashy or no mufflers is the most common mod here.

Comment

You should pass if you just have the catback.

Comment

Originally posted by 88mpwr View Post
              You should pass if you just have the catback.
              I am definitely leaving the catback in to enjoy the car. I always HATED nazi california and their smog laws. After 9 years of living outside cali, I have been spoiled and hate it even more.... Now I have to mount a front plate, get rid of my intake/ full exhaust, remove my tinted windows.... If insurance out here in detroit wasn't the highest in the country, i'd just leave my car registered in MI and renew annually (no smog here).
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I see plenty of cars without a front plate on the streets. I keep my own on a tow hook mount bracket in the trunk and put it on in case I ever want to park on the street (which isn't often). And you could always swap your intake and exhaust every two years.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Since Day 1 in 2004, I've never had a front plate and have never been cited, and I've been running my setup (in my sig) since 2005. Which incidentally, only been cited once - cop was coming out of a parking lot and only heard me pass bye and thought I was speeding. I argued I was in the middle of a pack, within the speed limit. So after a few minutes of back and forth and standing my ground, he said he's writing me up for my SS Race! Total BS!!!
                  17 iO1 i3
                  16 F22 M235i
                  08 E93 M3
                  04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Some shops are definitely looser with their visual checks. Where in SoCal are you moving to? Ask around enough and you are sure to get a recommendation on a good place to go. There are ways around it, but once they plug into your OBD port you are gonna fail regardless because the tune disables the monitors being ready. I was running catless for 3 years but installed a Fabspeed Sec 1 with HJS cats. Have a catted tune as well and passed with no problems.

2004 Imola Red M3 Coupe
                    Dinan Section 3 - Euro Section 1 - Megan Headers - AKG Subframe Plates - Apex ARC-8 - ZCP Brake Rotors & Calipers - ZCP Steering Rack - ST Coilovers - CSL Rep Front Bumper - Seibon CSL Rep Trunk - Avin Avant 4

Comment

I have always taken my car to Fast Smog in Costa Mesa and recommend this place to those looking for star-certified smog locations in California. I have gone there with two setups, the first was CPI headers, E400CAX section 1, and Scorza exhaust, and the second was with stock headers/section 1 and SS Race. Both passed and no visual inspection was done underneath the car. Kevin is a great owner to work with and as a bonus, the shop is located next to a Ferrari repair shop so you'll have some nice cars to look at while you wait!
                      2005 BMW ///M3 ZCP

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I decided i'll be going back to stock headers and section 1/2. Ill keep my rogue el diablo muffler. its not gonna sound as nice but I don't drive the car much anyways. I just don't want the headache. cali is the last desirable place for us car guys.
                        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X