Cam offset for 288/280

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terra View Post
    0 and 3 is correct for the 288 / 280s; 0 and 1 for the 280/272s.
    Is this correct for Schrick?
    0 inlet and +3 on exhaust for 288/280s.

I ask because I see PaulClaude refer to stock M3 offsets working well above.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Comment

Not trying to throw salt in the game here, but how are you guys coming up with these numbers?

I actually degreed my CAT 288/280's last year, verifying crank angle vs peak valve lift with the cams at the parked position. I started to take pics but it became such a PITA I just said F-it and threw the camera 😂.

Anyway, intake came in at roughly 134° ATDC, and exhaust was on the money @ 52° ABDC (or 128 BTDC, however you want to look at it).

Comment

Tried 0 inlet and 3 exhaust.
        It adapts using these offsets but wonder if this is correct or if it affects anything if not?

If the stock offsets are correct I would get lover adaption values it looks like.
        -2.7 and 1.7 if I understand this correctly.

Running 288/280 Schrick cams.
        Would love some input 🙂

Last edited by JonParks; 06-21-2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonParks View Post
          Tried 0 inlet and 3 exhaust.
          It adapts using these offsets but wonder if this is correct or if it affects anything if not?

If the stock offsets are correct I would get lover adaption values it looks like.
          -2.7 and 1.7 if I understand this correctly.

Running 288/280 Schrick cams.
          Would love some input 🙂

If you have correctly mechanically built your cameshafts, why don't you just compensate your inlet and outlet vanos adaptations thanks to offset parameters ? I did that on Dbilas camshafts and it works perfectly after tuning injection and ignition. With such adaptation values, the vanos test will not pass.
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Originally posted by MpowerE36 View Post

If you have correctly mechanically built your cameshafts, why don't you just compensate your inlet and outlet vanos adaptations thanks to offset parameters ? I did that on Dbilas camshafts and it works perfectly after tuning injection and ignition. With such adaptation values, the vanos test will not pass.
            I have adapted the offsets to what Terra recomends above for 288/280 cams.
            0 inlet and +3 exhaust.

I did a Vanos test today.
            Passed that.

Comment

My Vanos test didn't pass with too high vanos adaptations and after ajusted the offset parameters to have approximately zero adaptations, it passed. It was with the DIS V57.
              Last edited by MpowerE36; 06-22-2021, 01:27 AM.
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                0 and 3 is correct for the 288 / 280s; 0 and 1 for the 280/272s.

The cams won't physically move, the VANOS has no mechanism of doing that as everything is bolted in place. The targets will be shifted by the offset + adaption values.
                Late to reply as not much free time these days. Offset + adaptation will always be the same value, but is fully dependent on where the cams are mechanically set in the first place. E.g setting a tune offset of 0 on the inlet cam with an adapation of -3 equals -3 total. If you change this to an offset of -2 it will shift the adaptation value to -1, so again -3 total. So I believe as long as the camshaft adapts the offset value matters little, it is the mechanical setting of the camshafts that is most important.

Comment

Working...
                X