Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSS54HP Boot Mode (Grounding pins 32 on the EEPROM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSS54HP Boot Mode (Grounding pins 32 on the EEPROM)

Hello guys! I recently had a thread started of trying to troubleshoot the current state of my DME which was confirmed to be bricked from a mishap with MSSFLASHER.

In the course of this thread, Terra mentioned that I can my particular error by grounding pin 37 on the master and slave of the EEPROM. I was also in contact with Paul @msstuning and he recommended the solution to ground pin 32 of master and slave to force boot mode.

"short pins 32 of both eeproms to GND, then power up the ecu. removenshprts
    after 5 seconds. that should get you into bootmode. you can tehn identify
    the ecu to confirm and flash whatever is necessary."

These were the only instructions I was given, that and conflicting pin number between the two I am unsure of what the process is.

Would anyone be able to help clarify what needs to be done to force the boot mode? Or just the process of being able to short these to the ground. Any information helps and is greatly appreciated. I am well outside of my wheelhouse of knowledge but I am very willing to learn to get my car back and on the road.

Thank you!

I would start with making a bench flash harness. I don't think it would be wise (or even doable) to attempt this with the DME in the car.

MSS54 and MSS54HP XDFs . Contribute to saildot4k/MSS54-XDFs development by creating an account on GitHub.

You'll need some electronics and fittings to do it but it's much safer than tinkering with a live DME in the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
      I would start with making a bench flash harness. I don't think it would be wise (or even doable) to attempt this with the DME in the car.

MSS54 and MSS54HP XDFs . Contribute to saildot4k/MSS54-XDFs development by creating an account on GitHub.

You'll need some electronics and fittings to do it but it's much safer than tinkering with a live DME in the engine bay.
      Thank you for your reply. My only hesitation with this is that if I can’t get a clear answer on grounding pin 32 then I am just going to move forward to using the galetto kit to serve the purpose for me.

I saw this as a possibly easier solution than waiting for the shipping on the galetto and it would be a little cheaper if I don’t necessarily need to bdm my ecu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think grounding pin 32 will do anything (it is already grounded). Grounding pin 37 should do the trick.

Comment

I still recommend use a geletto or bdm, it's easier to recover but for reference this is how I did mine, i just solder a couple of wires on the legs and left it on my DME, in case I want to put into bootmode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_141547.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	115074

Comment

On MS43 DME, one can ground the boot pin to enter ECU and use tool like JMGarage to virginize or clone/backup the full EEPROM, including the boot sector. Hence making a boot mode backup as a 1:1 backup of the ECU that can be used to create clone of that ECU.

On MSS54HP, the pin 32 is ground. Pin 37 says it's address A13.

Once these pins on master/slave EEPROMs are grounded then can you create a 1:1 backup of the ECU that can be used to create a clone of that ECU?

Or, only way to make a 1:1 backup of MSS54HP is through use of BDM?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	668
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	148711

Comment

What are you all using as ground when you connect leads to pin 32 on both eeproms? Do I actually need to solder here or can I just connect leads from pin 32 on both eeproms to a ground and then power on the dme like the instructions above?
              2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                What are you all using as ground when you connect leads to pin 32 on both eeproms? Do I actually need to solder here or can I just connect leads from pin 32 on both eeproms to a ground and then power on the dme like the instructions above?
                There's innumerable ground points. Pin 32 itself is ground. The entire silver frame around the perimeter is ground for example. You don't necessarily need to solder, but grounding both pin 377s while powering on the DME can be a little challenging.

If you have steady hands you could use a pair of tweezers between pin32 and pin 37 while someone helps you connect power.

Comment

Working...
                X