Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding rear LED taillights

Hi all,

I recently swapped in LED tail lights on my M3 but I have never coded my car before. Is there anyone on the forum that has the capability to do this remotely or is there a company that has this service? I do have the correct cable to flash the car via USB.

thegenius46m

Did you already confirm that your LCM is new enough or buy another LCM? My 02/02 is, but I would think 2001 cars wouldn't.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      thegenius46m

Did you already confirm that your LCM is new enough or buy another LCM? My 02/02 is, but I would think 2001 cars wouldn't.
      I didn’t check, but I didn’t know that was a thing. Any info on how I would check or what I would need to buy to get it to work?

Comment

I think I saw a thread on e46fanatics, just google it.

what's your build date?
        Last edited by Tbonem3; 07-16-2021, 08:21 PM.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          I think I saw a thread on e46fanatics, just google it.

what's your build date?
          03/2001 - no automatic headlights. Is it as simple as buying a newer LCM with auto headlights off ebay? I did some googling and it doesn't seem like there is a consensus on what LCMs can be flashed.

Comment

Either you can check the sticker on the LCM or check via INPA software. A new/used LCM will need to be programmed for your car. Video below shows programming and coding (coding starts at 9:30) -

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              Either you can check the sticker on the LCM or check via INPA software. A new/used LCM will need to be programmed for your car. Video below shows programming and coding (coding starts at 9:30) -

This is so helpful, just ordered what I needed. Will report back on how it goes 👍

Comment

Your build date will likely be a ZCS coding and not VO like that video. I just went through this with my 08/2001 build date M3. Use terra's post below to walk you through the coding, they spell out the LED ZCS coding as an example. Helped me out tremendously.

Getting Started with NCS Expert

Comment

Was able to get my new LCM installed and use bmw scanner 1.4 to remove the tamper dot. Getting the cable to work with windows 10 was a bit tedious but there are some videos out there on it.

Waiting for the cable I ordered to come in to try and code the LCM to work with the taillights, thank you everyone for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by macaroni86 View Post
                    Your build date will likely be a ZCS coding and not VO like that video. I just went through this with my 08/2001 build date M3. Use terra's post below to walk you through the coding, they spell out the LED ZCS coding as an example. Helped me out tremendously.

Getting Started with NCS Expert
                    I keep getting the following error after I modify my VN string per the guide you referenced. Does anyone have an idea what I need to do to remedy this? I’ve gotten pretty far but these last few steps are killing me. I have updated my mss54 to mss54hp for the csl airbox if that makes a difference?

Comment

I've got an 04/2001 build date; I would imagine I will need a newer LCM?

I already picked up a set of the of Tail Light Adapter Cables, and I'm about to pick up a second hand set of LED tail lights.
                      To verify this second hand set works, can I plug them and test without a newer LCM?

Comment

Working...
                      X