Laptop for tuning/logging/coding recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop for tuning/logging/coding recommendations

Guys don't shoot me I'm a mac guy but I want to get a cheap pc based laptop for above titled purpose. Do I need anything special?

Will something like this suffice running any of the popular software for scanning and tuning purposes,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6462541

Please pardon my computer illiteracy.
    Last edited by jet_dogg; 09-16-2021, 06:08 PM.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

That will do it but if you plan on running vm ware to support something like DIS you are going to want something a bit better. I would go i3 or i5, 8gb ram, 256gb of storage. It just sucks having a slow PC no matter how you slice it.

I've got roughly 40gb of virtual machines on my box (different flavors of DIS) and when you combine that with Win 10 requirements you get up there quick. INPA and other tools will be fine on what you listed as it is native.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

That would be just fine, you can run INPA etc. on just about any version of windows, just avoid Windows 8 like the plauge. I happen to run Windows 7 for my INPA/NCS/DIS laptop as well as on my ISTA/Logging laptop. Also if you buy a newer laptop and want to run windows 7 just make sure that the drivers exist for things such as your USB port to function properly etc. But Windows 10 will be just fine. Another thing to think about is the physical size of the laptop and getting into the car with it, although for DIS to view correctly you'll need at least a screen resolution of 1280×720 I do believe.

I would also get a USB extension cord so you can have your laptop sitting outside the car comfortably and not precariously balanced on the roof etc.

I would go to bimmergeeks.net and download the "standard tools' and follow install instructions, I would suggest their OBD cable as well. I wouldn't get the most expense "pro" version or whatever it is but the next one down, I use it all the time and it works great.

I would get Edibias loaded and you'll figure out INPA, that is kind of good starting point as far as I am concerned in regards to getting your software/cable configured and understanding the basics. I know you probably want to use Testo and I *think* you must have a working Edibias for that but I am not 100% sure.

I am FAR from a pro on any of this but even being a Windows guy all my life I didn't know up from down not that long ago in regards to this kind of stuff.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
        That will do it but if you plan on running vm ware to support something like DIS you are going to want something a bit better. I would go i3 or i5, 8gb ram, 256gb of storage. It just sucks having a slow PC no matter how you slice it.

I've got roughly 40gb of virtual machines on my box (different flavors of DIS) and when you combine that with Win 10 requirements you get up there quick. INPA and other tools will be fine on what you listed as it is native.
        Thanks brother, I don't know how many of those I will be running but I'd rather be safe than sorry plus I hate slow ass comps.

How's this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6449496
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

To be honest I don't know how much coding I'll realistically be doing, maybe even none. I will mostly use it to download logs and for tuning.

Also real time on dyno monitoring parameters.

Comment

i have upgrade my ssd in my macbook and am running windows on bootcamp with inpa, ista and all coding tools. if you don't plan to do much, windows on bootcamp should be enough.
            2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
              i have upgrade my ssd in my macbook and am running windows on bootcamp with inpa, ista and all coding tools. if you don't plan to do much, windows on bootcamp should be enough.
              I also have inpa, NCS, esys, and ista all running on my macbook through bootcamp as well. Works as it should.

Comment

What type of Mac do you have now or do you have an old, unused one sitting in storage?

Comment

Thanks guys, I'd rather not run bootcamp on this as I use it mainly to get stuff done so I don't mind getting a cheap ass one for this purpose that I don't care about beating up.

Slide, it's a 2019 mac pro 2.6 i7 with 16gb ssd and 512gb storage.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                    Thanks guys, I'd rather not run bootcamp on this as I use it mainly to get stuff done so I don't mind getting a cheap ass one for this purpose that I don't care about beating up.

Slide, it's a 2019 mac pro 2.6 i7 with 16gb ssd and 512gb storage.
                    If you don't mind used, 2013-15 Mac Pro 13" Retina would work well as it still has standard USB ports, long battery life and is still fast. The Best Buy options are not bad, but some models are made cheaply and sometimes do not last long after warranty period lol.

Comment

Damn price point keeps going up LOL!

Tangential question, can any of the logging s/w read .xrk files?

Comment

Surface pro for convenience is what I have been using

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

If you don't mind used, 2013-15 Mac Pro 13" Retina would work well as it still has standard USB ports, long battery life and is still fast. The Best Buy options are not bad, but some models are made cheaply and sometimes do not last long after warranty period lol.
                          Just to correct your nomenclature: that would be a MacBook Pro Retina 13".......

Mac Pro's are desktops.

For me, I picked up a Lenovo Yoga 260 i5 6300U 240GB NVME 8GB RAM for dirt cheap ....all for $200. Once I sold my car, I resold it for $400. For this stuff just about any Windows laptop will suffice. I preferred the Yoga when I was working under the car and put it in tent mode, grubby oily hands and all!
                          Last edited by R3Z3N; 09-21-2021, 03:40 PM.
                          TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post

Just to correct your nomenclature: that would be a MacBook Pro Retina 13".......

Mac Pro's are desktops.

For me, I picked up a Lenovo Yoga 260 i5 6300U 240GB NVME 8GB RAM for dirt cheap ....all for $200. Once I sold my car, I resold it for $400. For this stuff just about any Windows laptop will suffice. I preferred the Yoga when I was working under the car and put it in tent mode, grubby oily hands and all!
                            Yeah, I wanted to keep the typing short, so left out the "book" part since the size "13" was there

Comment

Originally posted by alaxendra3
                              As you are talking about the laptop it reminds me of the best budget motherboard to replace in your pc to make your pc run like a gun shoot speed, I prefer you to take one to work your pc according to your desire.
                              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X