Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tuning paradigms help a brother out!

Hi All,

I see this is the place where the awesome former umpteen page tuning forum listing resurrection was hoped to be created...

I looked over it with great interest back in 2016 but I only had a convertible M3 and so didn't need to delve deep into the information.

I took alot of notes and still have them but I do not understand certain things.

I am using a tool now that claims to have all of the tables and I am manipulating them and getting a response from a data logger that indicates the changes.

However one of my notes state "relative filling- volumetric efficiency" but it doesn't seem to be the same. Nets don't make a good search response either

I tuned an S52 MS41 before and got results that were satisfactory so far I feel stupid and lost with the S54 and cannot seem to instigate any gains on 3rd gear WOT pulls

So in general maybe someone with massive knowledge such as p0lar or others can give a quick guide as to what tables need to be manipulated and why in a tuning sequence.

What is looked for in a log to indicate "goodness" (yes I know this is open ended) but I went looking at say MS43 and that uses different language from MSS54 too.

Thanks

Originally posted by samfromal View Post

However one of my notes state "relative filling- volumetric efficiency" but it doesn't seem to be the same. Nets don't make a good search response either

I tuned an S52 MS41 before and got results that were satisfactory so far I feel stupid and lost with the S54 and cannot seem to instigate any gains on 3rd gear WOT pulls
    Ar you running with or without MAF?
    Relative filling is the load parameter used in many Bosch and Siemens ECUs. 100% = 3246cc of air @ air density of ~1.19 kg/m3 or so (Munich weather conditions).
    If you run with a MAF this parameter is depended on it. If you don't use a MAF and MAP/TPS as load. Most of its data comes from look up tables. With throttle position and pressure it's hard to determine the engines VE.

In E92 M3 there is a load parameter from lambda controller. It measures AFR/lambda and knows the fuel mass injected. Based on these parameters an air load can be calculated. I use this parameter to tune different camshafts to get maximum air charge. Once set correctly the fueling and ignition takes place. You can do the same with MSS54. You just need a wideband that supports the logging software or use its output and feed it to the rear 02 voltage.
    If you adjust the timing (mainly intake) the fuel mixture can become leaner (more air = gain) or richer (less air = no gain). This only works with Alpha/n and speed density as the injection timing remains equal based on look up tables
    If you run a MAF you should observe this, increase indicates more air but as the ECU uses a factor to calculate injection timing it may stay at equal AFR. As the measured amount of air is used as an input.
    I first set the air charge to maximum and then look at other parameters. I occasionally see an increase of air charge at the beginning but reduced power output on the dyno as ignition will be retarded and in MSS60 there is a "charge / turbo detection" present. Not sure for MSS54.

Originally posted by samfromal View Post
    So in general maybe someone with massive knowledge such as p0lar or others can give a quick guide as to what tables need to be manipulated and why in a tuning sequence.

What is looked for in a log to indicate "goodness" (yes I know this is open ended) but I went looking at say MS43 and that uses different language from MSS54 too.

Thanks
    Upload your tunes (ori and mod) so I can have a look. Which tables did you modify so far?
    If you only modify injection and ignition it is indeed possible you haven't seen gains as nothing to the engine air filling is done to improve it.
    Air charge is depended on a lot of things but in this engine I suspect it can only be improved on a stock engine with camshaft timing.
    other things would be reduced back pressure, different camshafts, turbocharger, ....

Comment

Working...
    X