Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a backup DME be cloned as 1:1 replica of stock DME for drop-in plug-n-play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a backup DME be cloned as 1:1 replica of stock DME for drop-in plug-n-play?

My 2004 E46 M3 has following DME information:

DME/ECU Type: MSS54HP
    DME Version: 211323002701-J469
    Transmission Type: 6 Speed Manual
    Chassis: E46
    Hardware Number: 7842981

I have a backup DME of same MSS54HP but the backup DME part number is 7835564.

This backup DME came from 2004 E46 M3 convertible, 6 Speed manual.

Can the backup DME (7835564) be cloned from the stock DME (7842981) as a 1:1 replica backup for use as drop-in plug-n-play?

Thanks.

Only with a bdm, but yes it can be done

Comment

Originally posted by cossie1 View Post
      Only with a bdm, but yes it can be done
      Okay!

I was hoping something like JMGarage for MS43 with boot mode to create a 1:1 replica of the ECU for clone at second DME.

So got my second MSS54HP DME today.

Still trying to round up the necessary software tools.

And waiting on the BDM.

Comment

There is absolutely no need for this, why do you not use one of the other ways?(flash same software with winkfp, flash different software, etc then EWS off? Why want you strictly a 1:1 clone?

if you really don‘t want a other working way, buy a BDM or send it to someone with a bdm and pay a little fee for this.
        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
          There is absolutely no need for this, why do you not use one of the other ways?(flash same software with winkfp, flash different software, etc then EWS off? Why want you strictly a 1:1 clone?

if you really don‘t want a other working way, buy a BDM or send it to someone with a bdm and pay a little fee for this.
          Teach me?

Thanks for that suggestion.

My situation is as follows:

Original DME, has some sort of flash issue after using MSSMapper (by my tuner). I would like to preserve this original DME in current state.

I purchased a second DME (MSS54HP) to try to start from scratch to put the same software and use MSSMapper myself to put the tunes on the DME. Then use INPA to sync EWS to the second DME.

The original DME has the 2701 software.

I'm reading and learning as much as i can to try to do all these myself.

Comment

This is my setup for what it's worth to you.

Background: I'm in the middle of converting my HPF (AEM v1 running the engine etc). I want to switch back to the OEM DME(turbo) for various reasons.

The DME that's in my car now is an MSS54HP (2004 SMG)

I purchased an MSS54 Non-HP for basic development and tuning.

I updated the parameter space (0da) using MSSFLASHER to OEM that matched the program (0pa) version for the MSS54, disabled EWS

As a test, I swapped in the MSS54 afterward and the car fired up and had no issues that I could tell.

So as S54B32 said, you can likely do something similar.. Keep your current DME on the side. Flash the "extra" DME with an OEM clean slate, disable EWS, and develop on that.

Comment

Originally posted by rmz001 View Post
              This is my setup for what it's worth to you.

Background: I'm in the middle of converting my HPF (AEM v1 running the engine etc). I want to switch back to the OEM DME(turbo) for various reasons.

The DME that's in my car now is an MSS54HP (2004 SMG)

I purchased an MSS54 Non-HP for basic development and tuning.

I updated the parameter space (0da) using MSSFLASHER to OEM that matched the program (0pa) version for the MSS54, disabled EWS

As a test, I swapped in the MSS54 afterward and the car fired up and had no issues that I could tell.

So as S54B32 said, you can likely do something similar.. Keep your current DME on the side. Flash the "extra" DME with an OEM clean slate, disable EWS, and develop on that.
              Thanks. Similar situation here, purchased a spare MSS54HP to use with MSSMapper.

The DME (from 2006 MY) was at zusb 7842979, so looks like it is already at the latest 0da and 0pa for this assembly.

Wasn't sure if the DME has any different tune so extracted partial from A7842980.0DA using the ECUWorx tool, and compared with the partial read from MSSFlasher. And they match. Looks like this DME is good to go to try swap and resync EWS. Little extra hassle with INPA to resync. Maybe will disable EWS later.

The DME was from convertible, but mine is coupe. Not sure what sort of coding related stuffs i will run into, but i recall the coding is stored in LCM.

Comment

Working...
              X