Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting my M3 turbo from HPF/AEMv1 to OEM DME (some progress!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting my M3 turbo from HPF/AEMv1 to OEM DME (some progress!)

Hi all, figured I'd start my thread since I've made progress with my conversion, and had a few questions to see what everyone thinks.

Background / Hardware

2004 E46 M3 SMG (US)
    HPF Turbo System
    FIC-1100 Injectors
    Running E-85

I never really liked how the car ran with the AEM/DME setup from HPF esp with the SMG transmission. I was considering going ProEFI but eventually went down the path to do an OEM style conversion. And so here we are

New additions I've added for the conversion
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    1. PMAS - Maf (HPXE) 3" Blow Thru tube and sensor - Right in front of the HPF intake manifold (You need to update the HFM (Volts x kg/hr) curve in the DME)
    2. E46 IAT relocation kit - easy swap out the AEM AIT sensor in the intake manifold with this OEM sensor. (Keeps the temp/volts curve in the DME the same)
    3. Wideband - logging/ tuning
    4. Ethanol sensor - logging/tuning

DME Tune - Updates
    -----------------------------
    1. Disabled lambda control - (Simplifies the tuning (ie no dealing with the dual bank issue for now), I have a wideband installed for logging/tuning.
    2. Updated fueling factors to deal with (E85, larger injectors)

Credit to the community for providing the knowledge and help on these things.

First Drive Notes:
    -----------------------
    1. Car fires up and drives around great, cruise AFR's look good, (no full throttle, just normal driving, staying out of boost etc)
    2. SMG felt amazingly factory smooth, stunning what you get used to when you just "live with it" being bad.

Next steps which I could use some help/thoughts on ..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuning the various tables/curves that depend on LOAD.

Since we will have RF (relative filling values) above 1 due to now being boosted here is what I believe my options are:

Option 1:
    Adjust the RF axis values to go from 0 - 2 vs 0 - 1
    Scale maps accordingly
    You'll have to compress the data in the (table or curve, to fit in fewer axis breakpoints, this affects the resolution of the control, but if it's linear anyways, might be fine)

Option 2:
    Scale the MAF transfer curve down to keep within the OEM bounds (~1400kg/hr vs 2800kg/hr)
    Keep all the load axis from 0 - 1 (as it is now)
    Rescale each table/curve (For example: so that say 0 - .5 is your non-boosted region, and >.5 - 1 is your boosted region)

I'm sure there are other options and issues that I'm going to "find" on my path, but that's the "fun" lol !!

Thanks again for your thoughts, I'll post some pics, data, etc as I progress.

Last edited by rmz001; 04-18-2022, 07:11 PM.

Logging setup and some initial data..

For my logging setup, I'm using Renovelo's free logger, as it looks to do DS2 based logging via the k-line and has support for the following small analog acquisition device (4 channel). Right now I have my wide band (AEM), MAP sensor (AEM), Fuel Pressure (AEM), integrated with the DS2 logging data from the DME.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Logger_HW.png
Views:	354
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	164363

Here you can see, I'm rich at idle (relative to the target/commanded amount of fuel), and lean in the 2000-3000 range (light throttle as we're getting our feet wet) Colors correlate with AFR (Gasoline units, ie 14.7 stoich)

Next up will be to fine-tune the transfer function from PMAS's tool, as I want to have the load base, be my commanded target AFR..

Name:	RF_AFR_Base_0.png
Views:	240
Size:	878.1 KB
ID:	164365
    Attached Files

Comment

An update.

Some new fuel hardware going in before I get too far into the tuning, as I plan to drop the base fuel pressure to maximize the volume of the new e85 Walbro pump. I've got the MAF transfer curve dialed in based on my particular setup and AFR's commanded vs actual (wide band) are close. This will install in the factory location of the fuel filter and fuel regulator, removing the HPF inline pump that's no longer needed as this setup should flow a good amount more with a single in-tank pump run by the DME.

Name:	m3_radium_IMG_5496 - Copy.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	166018

Comment

Kudos for doing it yourself. I made my kit myself and using an hpx pmas maf like yours with Bosch 65lb injectors and the walbro 450 HP pump
        stock DME tuning as well with all 4 o2 see sensors disabled and in on e85.

Hassan with HTE performance tuned my car. We used testo and my kcan cable and testo integrates with my innovate lc-2 wideband sensor setup.

Hassan knows how to read all that but I'm intrigued by this box you have posted. Looks interesting

Comment

Working...
        X