Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emissions Readiness Shown As Not Available After SMG ECU Update To CSL 255

Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with the emission monitors after updating SMG ECU to run the CSL program. I followed the steps to a tee specified here https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/upd...-255-software/. The process went successfully and a quick test drive showed pretty clear improvements in shifting smoothness.

However, a quick check of the emission readiness using the Torque app revealed some unexpected side effects where a number of items that normally should display as Incomplete after a fresh clear of emission monitors, now display as Unavailable. I don't think these items will ever be Complete since the ECU does not think they need to monitored. I would imagine the emission monitors are part of the Engine ECU program. It looks like some Engine ECU parameters have been modified while flashing SMG ECU.

Before:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque_Emission_Before.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	185158

After:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque_Emission_After.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	185159

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience. Any feedback on how to fix this?

Cheers!

Think it was Holzheimer (sorry, can't remember username) who went through this recently, though I think it was a csl engine tune, not smg. Try searching the main e46 section, think it was there but maybe this coding section.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

This has nothing to do with the SMG ecu flash unless you unplugged the battery which resets all your monitors. You need to do the drive cycle.
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

thegenius46m , my concern was that the emission monitors that should have been displayed as "Incomplete", displayed as "Not Avail" after the SMG ECU flash.

I actually managed to resolve the issue. I reflashed a backup of my Engine ECU partial tune and the appropriate monitors now show as "Incomplete" as the following:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	After_Engine_ECU_Flash_Torque.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	185371

Now I can go ahead and complete the drive cycle.

The confusing part was the Engine tune was not modified during the SMG ECU update. I was able to verify this by grabbing the Engine partial tune before reflashing my backup partial tune and comparing it with the backup. No diff whatsoever. Apparently, the Engine ECU for some reason was in a bad state or there were some undocumented changes during the SMG update, later the MSS Flasher tool was able to reset. Hopefully, this thread can help others with similar issue in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X