EWS/Key Programming Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EWS/Key Programming Questions.

Hey all I lost my one and only key for the M3. I have INPA, NCS, Coding tool etc. on my laptop. I am able to source a key from the dealer but they said I would need to bring the car there to program the key. I assumed that it would come ready to start the car but I assumed wrong? Nonetheless I am curious to know if I can reprogram my key using any of that software? Or can I code out EWS entirely with said software? If so any help on how to accomplish this would be appreciated as I have yet to code anything on my car and would prefer not to screw anything up!

Get a key from here, they program it, you sync it to car w/o any software. This will be cheaper than a dealer key I would imagine. You can get a key programmer but more cost/trouble than it's worth imo.

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Gotcha, but as this is my only car at this time I need to get a key asap. Was able to source from dealer for 180 next day, so I figured that was pretty reasonable. The question remains will it start the car though? I find it odd that it would not since it is coming straight from BMW. I know getting the lock/unlock feature working is pretty easy. But will I be able to learn the new key to EWS if necessary/
      Last edited by Zack; 10-05-2022, 05:11 AM.

Comment

If your EWS was not altered (modified for China keys) the key from the dealer should work directly in terms of starting the engine. Unlock/lock the car and activate the alarm system is done with another procedure.
        Get in the car, close doors, put ignition key slot to position 1, remove key and press unlock button with one finger while you press the lock button 3 times in the mean time with another finger. Car should lock and unlock as a successful confirmation the learning of your remote control was done. If you have other keys you should repeat the same instruction from the point were the unlock button is pressed. All other keys that are not learned during this procedure won't respond on lock/unlock the car. They will be able to start the car as starting the car uses a separate chip in the key as unlocking/locking the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack View Post
          Gotcha, but as this is my only car at this time I need to get a key asap. Was able to source from dealer for 180 next day, so I figured that was pretty reasonable. The question remains will it start the car though? I find it odd that it would not since it is coming straight from BMW. I know getting the lock/unlock feature working is pretty easy. But will I be able to learn the new key to EWS if necessary/
          Dealer new key may work or may not, depends on if some had added any after market keys to this car before. Most cars came with 4 keys from dealer when new, so they are assigned to slot #1 to 4, and when the next new key ordered from dealer it will be assigned to #5, and next one to #6 and so on. Now if previous guy had an after market key programmed to #5 which the dealer doesn't know, then the dealer new key will be #5 and it will not work, as the EWS already has the #5 with a random code paired with the after market key. IOW, no guarantee the new dealer key will work. You can get the AK90 programmer on Amazon and read the EWS to find out what slots are used and what available.

Comment

If the dealer willing to read the EWS then they should be able to program the new key to the available slot, but this is not their normal procedure and the key is programmed by BMW in Germany with their own data file.

Comment

Working...
            X