Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange MSS54HP

Hello everyone.

Decided to open up a spare HP that I had bought for a project.
    Wanted to get BDM headers onto it, however I can't.

The EEPROMS are in some kind of cradles (seems removable), which sadly partially obscure the BDM headers on the master side.

Has anyone seen this before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mss54hp.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	188540
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Nope. Sounds like this one has been tampered with unfortunately. Can you return that? If not see if you can remove the cradles. Hopefully it hasn't been physically locked. I remember maxpsi used to do that with some kind of silicone or something.
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
      Hello everyone.

Decided to open up a spare HP that I had bought for a project.
      Wanted to get BDM headers onto it, however I can't.

The EEPROMS are in some kind of cradles (seems removable), which sadly partially obscure the BDM headers on the master side.

Has anyone seen this before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mss54hp.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	188540
      Tuning from long time ago, where writing direct to the desoldered eeproms was the only solution.
      …under construction.

Comment

Back in the day some would install those cradles in place of the eeproms to allow for easy removal / reinstallation. You could remove those and solder the eeproms directly to the board without too much difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
          Back in the day some would install those cradles in place of the eeproms to allow for easy removal / reinstallation. You could remove those and solder the eeproms directly to the board without too much difficulty.
          So they are surface-mounted sockets for surface-mount EEPROM? A rarely used product but maybe during code development in the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

So they are surface-mounted sockets for surface-mount EEPROM? A rarely used product but maybe during code development in the old days.
            Essentialy what they are. They weren't used by the OEMs themselves as far as I'm aware (they could always program these things through the BDM), but wasn't unheard of for tuners (including those of us in the DIY community in the early days) to install those

Comment

Working...
            X