X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolve tune locks ECU?

Hi all,

Couldn’t find anything with a search.

I have a Evolve tune from years ago and they “lock” the ECU.

May add a Eventuri intake down the road. Was told (in passing) I would need a new ECU if I want a new map. True?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, their tunes are/were locked.

You are already set with the tune you have, to add the eventuri.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

It should be only read protected, so you should can write a stock tune (correct version!) over it.
      or find someone with a BDM device, he could read out/write the eeproms directly for you.

But for eventuri you don‘t need special tune, just drive it as it is. It‘s just for sound, some people even discovered less hp/torque with a eventuri compared to oem.
      Last edited by S54B32; 11-17-2022, 09:06 PM.
      …under construction.

Comment

Had friend add 20+ HP on Dyno up here (Colorado) w/ the Eventuri and a custom tune, So that's what I'm considering.

Comment

I have not heard of eventuri ever under performing stock setup. Average gains seem to be 10hp to the wheels. No extra tune needed. If you were simultaneously doing cams and exhaust work, and you were going to do a wideband/dyno tune, then you might squeeze out a little more.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Evolve MAF tunes do not lock the ECU.

If you have an Evolve AlphaN tune it will lock the ecu and prevent reads. Can always do a full flash with the stock program to unlock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was under the impression that they stopped the practice, but you can read it out with a BDM. You might also be able to read it out if you do a similar technique as when trying to unlock a DME that hit the flash counter (shorting whicehver eeprom pins to ground). That causes the DME to execute code off the boot sector instead of jumping to the main program, so in theory you'd be able to execute unaltered read/write routines.

While you can flash a full program, they do swap some axes around and move maps, so the car wouldn't run right if it ran at all. At one point I did dump an evolve tune and map out the differences. I don't know if I still have those notes somewhere.

MaxPSI also locks their software, and they epoxy the bdm ports and eeprom solder points to prevent a read out. Though I do know of an individual who managed to read one anyway and figure out what makes it tick.

Comment

Working...
              X