Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get a 2nd hand DME to a virgin state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a 2nd hand DME to a virgin state?

Some background info first, and then a few questions. Had my MSS54HP DME gone through CSL conversion at Kassel. Since then, VA emissions computers cannot talk to my car. Would like to get it sorted out. jbfrancis3 recommended using a second hand DME flashed with the original software that would allow emissions computers to communicate with the car.

Now for the questions (a lot of it is me learning how all of this works together):
    1. Assuming I have a 2nd hand MSS54 HP DME, can it be flashed to a truly virgin state. What I mean by “truly virgin” is for it not to contain any data about a previous owner/car (VIN, other things?)
    2. If so, can this be done via the OBD2 port on the car, or does it require a BDM flash?
    3. What would the steps be after that? Is it
      1. Flash original ‘fullbinary.bin’ file I backup using MSSFlasher? Or would I need to flash using another method?
      2. Write my VIN to the new DME
      3. Sync the DME to the EWS
    2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
    ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
    Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

I had PCS Tuning flash the donor DME for me. To me it was WELL worth his fee to spare me what would surely be hours and hours of time, and no guarantee I'd be successful.
    1. FYI it doesn't need to be HP DME. It just needs to run AlphaN and nothing more. Doesn't matter what's on the donor DME; Paul configures everything for the new vehicle.
    2. Paul did it completely remotely with DME in the car and ignition on. Took about 1/2 hour
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Working...
    X