Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help coding OE LED tail lights in a pre-LCI car: +LEDH already in the VO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help coding OE LED tail lights in a pre-LCI car: +LEDH already in the VO?

I installed OE LED tails in my 2003 (09/02 build date) car. LCM SW3.11. I'm using NSC Expert.

I went to add +LEDH to the VO and it's already there. This might be because I have a Kassel HP/CSL converted DME and CSL's had it? Not sure.
    I did FA_WRITE to the AKMB
    Also FA_WRITE to ALSZ

Cycled the car off and on, still have the rocket blasters on the cluster. What else do I have to do?

I've seen somewhere where you also need do SG-CORIEREN to the ALSZ to reset it but I thought that was if you've swapped LCMs...I still have my original LCM. If I do that...what MAN file is it writing to the LCM? The one I used previously?

What am I missing?

TIA
    Last edited by Ramps; 08-17-2023, 03:12 PM.

Ok I figured it out. I found this in the "Getting started with NCS Expert" thread, thanks to Terra for giving such a relevant example. I am guessing the fact that +LEDH was already in the VO was not the problem, I hadn't coded a blank MAN file to the LCM. I thought that was only for after installation of a new or used LCM, but it's needed, I assume, to reset it after a related VO change.

VO / FA Changes:

Occasionally when looking up a DIY, you might see mentions of adding an option code to your VO. This will discuss how you go about that. (ZCS Changes will be discussed later).
    • Go back to the FG/ZCS/FA screen mentioned earlier.
    • If you haven’t already done so, read out the VO from your car.
    • Now click “Enter VO/FA”. You might be prompted to select the chassis again, in which case choose the right one.
    • You’ll now get a window to enter the VIN. It should be pre-populated, hit okay here.
    • Now you’ll get a window labeled Enter VO/FA like below. This is where you can make changes. To add a VO code, type it in the box, and click the “Add” button. To remove a VO code, select it from the list, and hit the “delete” button on your keyboard (or if you’re on a mac, Fn + Delete).
    • For the purposes of this guide, let’s say you want to retrofit LED Taillights. What you’ll do is type in “+LEDH” in the box, and click add. Now hit “OK”.
    • From this point, NCS Expert will be basing its coding decisions based on the VO you entered, not what the car has stored in its modules.
    • Now there are a few things we need to do. We want to store this modified VO in your car’s modules, and then we want to actually code the module(s) of interest with your new VO. So let’s start with storing the new VO.
    • Click “Process ECU” choose the AKMB module
    • Click “Change Job” and select “FA_WRITE”. Execute that job.
    • Now click “Change SG/SGET” and select your “ALSZ” module. The FA_WRITE job should still be selected, but if it’s not, change the job to that. Hit “FA_WRITE” again.
    • Now we have to code your car for the new VO. In this case where we’re doing an LED retrofit, I know the only module impacted is the ALSZ module. So we don’t have to select a new module this time.
    • Open up your FSW_PSW.MAN module, and delete everything inside of it. Now save that file. Alternatively you can open and then close NCS Dummy. It will prompt you to blank out the FSW_PSW.MAN file if it isn’t already.
    • Change the job type to SG_CODIEREN, and hit execute job.
      • Since your FSW_PSW.MAN file is blank, NCS Expert will determine how to set every option in your ALSZ module by your VO. After that’s done, your car will now be coded for LEDs.
      • If you had previously customized your ALSZ module, you’ll lose the customizations you’ve made, so you’ll have to add those back by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramps View Post
      Ok I figured it out. I found this in the "Getting started with NCS Expert" thread, thanks to Terra for giving such a relevant example. I am guessing the fact that +LEDH was already in the VO was not the problem, I hadn't coded a blank MAN file to the LCM. I thought that was only for after installation of a new or used LCM, but it's needed, I assume, to reset it after a related VO change.

VO / FA Changes:

Occasionally when looking up a DIY, you might see mentions of adding an option code to your VO. This will discuss how you go about that. (ZCS Changes will be discussed later).
      • Go back to the FG/ZCS/FA screen mentioned earlier.
      • If you haven’t already done so, read out the VO from your car.
      • Now click “Enter VO/FA”. You might be prompted to select the chassis again, in which case choose the right one.
      • You’ll now get a window to enter the VIN. It should be pre-populated, hit okay here.
      • Now you’ll get a window labeled Enter VO/FA like below. This is where you can make changes. To add a VO code, type it in the box, and click the “Add” button. To remove a VO code, select it from the list, and hit the “delete” button on your keyboard (or if you’re on a mac, Fn + Delete).
      • For the purposes of this guide, let’s say you want to retrofit LED Taillights. What you’ll do is type in “+LEDH” in the box, and click add. Now hit “OK”.
      • From this point, NCS Expert will be basing its coding decisions based on the VO you entered, not what the car has stored in its modules.
      • Now there are a few things we need to do. We want to store this modified VO in your car’s modules, and then we want to actually code the module(s) of interest with your new VO. So let’s start with storing the new VO.
      • Click “Process ECU” choose the AKMB module
      • Click “Change Job” and select “FA_WRITE”. Execute that job.
      • Now click “Change SG/SGET” and select your “ALSZ” module. The FA_WRITE job should still be selected, but if it’s not, change the job to that. Hit “FA_WRITE” again.
      • Now we have to code your car for the new VO. In this case where we’re doing an LED retrofit, I know the only module impacted is the ALSZ module. So we don’t have to select a new module this time.
      • Open up your FSW_PSW.MAN module, and delete everything inside of it. Now save that file. Alternatively you can open and then close NCS Dummy. It will prompt you to blank out the FSW_PSW.MAN file if it isn’t already.
      • Change the job type to SG_CODIEREN, and hit execute job.
        • Since your FSW_PSW.MAN file is blank, NCS Expert will determine how to set every option in your ALSZ module by your VO. After that’s done, your car will now be coded for LEDs.
        • If you had previously customized your ALSZ module, you’ll lose the customizations you’ve made, so you’ll have to add those back by hand.
      Thanks for circling back with the fix - someone with the technical abilities to DIY this will really appreciate it. I had EAS do this for me so I am zero help...haha.
      '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Working...
      X