Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK60 Swap Coding

Hi all,

Finishing up a Track Rebuild, and running into trouble when trying to do coding. The build Thread is Masterc17's Track Rebuild, but figured I would post here for this question.

Note: Car is originally a 2002

During the Rebuild we did the following Module Changes:
    1. MK20 to Mk60 Swap
    2. MSS54 to MSS54HP (CSL Airbox)
    3. EWS Delete (Done by Tuner while Tuning DME)
    Also Note:
    No Factory Cluster
    No Light Module

Current Issues:
    The MK60 has a different Vin than the DME which is also different than the Steering angle sensor (Original to car)
    I believe we need to sync the vin on the ABS and Steering angle sensor in order to calibrate the steering angle sensor, and Ideally match to DME, just so everything is the same.
    I have not completed a proper test drive to test the ABS, but I cant image it will work properly, given codes we have currently.

Current Codes:
    005E1F ABS uninitialized Vin
    005DC0 Wheel speed/Yaw sensor not sure exactly
    005E16 FPS Error transfer
    005E15 ECU internal Fault

I am assuming these codes are related to Vins not matching, but I do not know for sure.

Coding Issues:
    NCS Expert will not connect to the car

I have tried to resolve with the following

1. Two different K+DCAN cables. Confirmed that it is not a switch issue, both have switches and both if in the wrong position will make INPA not work. Set to Com1 and latency to 1ms.
    2. Tried Coding tools on 3 different laptops. Two were installs from BimmerGeeks and one was from Bali over on the e46 Fanatics fourm. All have exact same issue.

INPA connects to the car fine and can read ECU, Steering angle and ABS.
    NCS Refuses to connect, giving me a long list of error codes attached:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5804.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	232996

Other than advice for why NCS is not connecting, I am wondering If PA Soft will be able to changes the vins and calibrate steering angle. I cant figure out an exact answer on this.

Please note Coding is new to me so I don't really know what I am doing/Talking about and I will continue to research and update here if I find anything, but I have failed for the last two weeks to resolve anything so I figured I would ask here.​

Looking at your build thread, this makes total sense.

For NCS Expert to work it needs to talk to the car and determine what equipment is present in the car. For this it reads the VO (Vehicle Order, basically a virtual window sticker) from a certain module in the car.

For ZCS cars this is stored in the EWS and the KOMBI (cluster), and for FA cars this is stored in the LSZ (light switch) or the KOMBI.

Based on your journal, none of these things are present anymore and you have probably deleted their wiring, if I am wrong about that and you can perhaps still plug in your cluster, then do so during the NCS session and remove it again afterwards.

If this is not possible anymore due to all the wiring being removed from the car, there is another alternative way to get NCS to work, which is to create a purely virtual Vehicle Order that we load into NCS via a .ssd file prior to coding, that will enable you to code without any of the other modules being present.

If you need help with this just send me a PM and we’ll figure it out.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

bmwfnatic, Thank you very much for the input. I figured that may be the issue but wasn't sure. Let me do some more thinking now that I know that is the issue. I appreciate you!

Edit: Found a thread for Miata mk60 swaps. Spoke about the .ssd file like you mentioned, I may be able to follow that. Looks like I have to treat the MK60 as though it is a standalone essentially.
      Last edited by jhatch; 09-11-2023, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X