Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

implement "Pit Lane" speed limiter in MSS54?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

implement "Pit Lane" speed limiter in MSS54?

Can anyone suggest a good way to implement a low (i.e. 56kph/35mph) speed limiter that is activated with a switch or button push?

From my research, I see 4 options, but if someone else has already solved this, I would like to learn from you.

1. Write a permanent value into cruise control, so that when cruise is set, it defaults to that stored speed, rather than to the current road speed.
    Why not do this? Not sure it is possible to have a permanent value. Otherwise could be a good option. Not 100% ideal for a race car to keep going at a speed without the driver pressing the throttle.

2. Map switching to a map that has a speed limit enabled.
    Why not do this? ​Map switching is not as simple as 1 button press / hard to keep track of which map you are in during a race situation

3. Set speed limiter to the target value (i.e. 56kph/35mph) and then have a switch to feed MSS54 a fake (lower speed) value for normal driving/racing use - then switch to the real road speed input value to cause the limiter to become active
    Why not do this? ​Could be a good option - still requires driver to keep their foot on the throttle, doesn't matter what gear. Would DME set a plausibility fault if it sees the speed input change too rapidly?

4. Some way to implement is via Sport mode...?
    Why not do this? Seems like this is clumsy - driver needs to be in a specific gear, and it isn't a true speed limiter, just makes it harder to go too fast.

I see 3 options using the resume button of cruise control when cruise control is off (only active when the resume button is pressed) :

1) coding a function which enables the cruise control with a specific targer

2) using switch map with a lower rev limiter which corresponds to the speed limit you want (need to be in the correct gear)

3) using switch map with a limited opening throttle map (need to be in the correct gear but not very accurate for speed regulation)

Do you have a MSS54 or MSS54HP ? Do you have a smg2 or manual gearbox ?
    Last edited by MpowerE36; 01-01-2024, 03:48 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently MSS54, manual gearbox. You are describing a map switch that is only active when holding down the resume button, to reduce the risk of accidentally get stuck on the speed limited map?

Would that require changing to MSS54HP?

Comment

Yes for your first question but it is also possible to use the "+" and the "-" buttons to active a map permanently.

If you convert your MSS54 into a MSS54HP you can buy mssmapper and do the switch map on your own.

Switch map is possible on MSS54 but you need a special coding :

This new software allows to have several maps on M3 E46 with a MSS54 non HP ecu or on M5 E39 (MSS52). You just have to use the cruise buttons +/- when cruise...
        Last edited by MpowerE36; 01-02-2024, 01:28 AM.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Working...
        X