Heading to the Dyno - First Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to the Dyno - First Timer

I’m heading to a local Dynojet with my 2005 M3 for some remote tuning with Epic Motorsports. What do I need to do prior to arriving to ensure I maximize the time?

2005 M3 6-speed, 173K miles, recent rod bearings and VANOS. New OEM radiator and cleaned up oil cooler prior to track events last year. Refreshed the sensors: pre-cat o2 sensors, TPS, Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensors. Just installed Turner CSL style intake with Alpha-N and Megan headers. Removed post cat o2 sensors. Retained EGT sensor.

Remove the beauty cover to allow easy access the coil harness.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      Remove the beauty cover to allow easy access the coil harness.
      Ah…good to know. Thanks for posting!

I would not have guessed that. I got lucky here…I decided to leave it off after doing the headers because a) none of the cool guys at the track have it on and b) my o2 sensor wire to bank 2 needed to be routed over the back to reach.

Comment

New plugs and coils. Misfiring on the dyno is expensive.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
          New plugs and coils. Misfiring on the dyno is expensive.
          What’s a reasonable replacement interval for coils on a track car? (I have no codes and the coils are just a couple years and about 20k miles old)

What about just taking a couple spares?
          Last edited by OldRanger; 01-09-2024, 03:41 PM. Reason: Added second question on spares

Comment

Working final coordination with the tuner and the shop with the Dynojet.

When the tuner wants AFR (which makes sense), do I need to buy and install device like the Innovate LC-2 with an O2 sensor? (Or is that typically part of getting the car on the dyno and ready?

Comment

Enable dyno mode on the DME, saves messing about with the dtc button when you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post
                Working final coordination with the tuner and the shop with the Dynojet.

When the tuner wants AFR (which makes sense), do I need to buy and install device like the Innovate LC-2 with an O2 sensor? (Or is that typically part of getting the car on the dyno and ready?
                The dyno will have a wideband AFR gauge but having your own is helpful as well especially for street tuning and adjustments.
                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Just make sure you've got your software/teamviewer and MAF wiring all set up. Tell him which IAT you have. If you are tuning for a race class you can probably ask for a max power file and then a detune file.

Comment

Thanks everyone - dyno time was well executed.

All of these recommendations helped.
                    1) Remove beauty cover to proved access to the coil harness
                    2) Know the part number for your IAT (CSL box-specific)
                    3) Bring a PC with you that has the tuner’s flashing software and Team Viewer on it. The Dyno shop may prefer their own, but Murphy will show up. Dont forget the cable!
                    4) If there is no S54 tuner involved, you may have to enable dyno mode yourself. This was not required for me.
                    5) it’s probably a worthwhile investment to replace the coils and plugs.

I did not need to provide anything to support AFR monitoring.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My dyno operator had to remove the rear jack pads to strap the car down. So might be worth checking on how they will strap the car down.

Might just be me but dyno runs are kind of unnerving. I hate watching someone run my car to redline...lol

Comment

Working...
                      X