Need input regarding CSL tune on different DMEs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need input regarding CSL tune on different DMEs

Hello, former m3forum user here. I was part of the original Geoff Steel Airbox Group Buy with tune from Frank Smith. I purchased the OE flap too. I have a few questions, skip to the end if you don’t want to read:

Long story short, my tune never worked. The DME would be fine half the time, flap working, but suddenly the car would glitch into a undriveable state.

Sent my DME back, Frank lost it and ghosted me. Finally after many months I got in touch with Brian who did the conversions for Frank and he had my DME which he said was missing some components or something. He said he fixed it and I finally mailed it back. This was just before 2020 and never got around to testing it since I reverted to stock airbox and stock DME.

I finally got around to testing it and it’s still really broken. The car starts but dies out. After shutting the car off, the throttle bodies glitch out making weird noises and twitch open/closed. Unsure if my map sensor was scaled on this flash but doesn’t explain the glitching. Pretty sure the DME is just toast.

I have a third non-HP DME without h-bridge and supposed CSL tune. Drives almost as good as stock, but no flap.

I’m considering upgrading to karbonius airbox but this software stuff is been nothing but trouble. Considering sending in my extra DME in for CSL flap modification (maybe from Kassel?).

Since none of this has really ran correctly, I have a few questions:
    1. The stock CSL tune should run similar to NA? May just be re-adapting but test driving recently it felt a little sluggish (almost like sport mode is off) and heavy gas smell.
    2. When I first installed years ago I was able to put some miles on it, but my brand new race cats burnt up and hollowed out. Running rich? Why would that be with a stock CSL tune?
    3. Is it normal for the OBDII port to become unreadable from generic readers? The smog place couldn’t connect either but I could connect with MSSFlasher etc.
    4. is the MAP sensor the only thing that needs to be scaled (I have the green GM one I think) or is the temp sensor one that could vary too?
    It’s been so long and lost a lot of valuable info on m3forum but I got the itch to finally use the airbox I paid for.

Slideways I cannot reply to DM yet:

Thanks for the note, I have no luck with vendors. Waited about a year with Frank, and another two years with status Gruppe (they still owe me a part).

I’d love to try and make the flap work at this point, I bought all the ducting and everything. I think I’ll try to mod the DME I have and if that fails I’ll have to buy another DME regardless, and ditch the flap.

Is your map sensor with the adapter tube that goes between the rail and engine? That wasn’t available years back and looks much better than Franks rail I have installed and stuck with for now.

Do you have any answers about my questions at the bottom of that post regarding running rich or the OBD port, is that ordinary? Thanks​

Comment

Did the car have issues prior to the air box and tune? Have you recently converted it? The post is a little unclear. If you've been fighting issues for a while, id go back to stock and verify everything is in good shape first.

To answer your questions:
      1.Car should run "normal" if it's done correctly but it's not perfect. There are some good threads here on street tuning the fuel tables to make it perfect. I'm not talking about WoT tuning. That being said, I doubt someone who was unfamiliar with the platform would notice a difference though.

2.Not a CSL tune problem.

3.This normal and covered in many threads. It's not a problem for all readers but some have OBD2 communication issues with the CSL software.

4. Not sure which ones need it but some require scaling. I used the OEM csl sensor. This is covered with a search as well.

Comment

Which software do u use? CSL 0401?

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
          Did the car have issues prior to the air box and tune? Have you recently converted it? The post is a little unclear. If you've been fighting issues for a while, id go back to stock and verify everything is in good shape first.
          Thanks for the answers. My car runs perfect stock.

To clarify, first did the airbox install around 2017/18. Flap works, car drove perfect 50% of the time before glitching out, huge bouncing idle and sputtering badly on accel. Turn the car off, continue to hear the ITBs glitch out for like 10-15 sec.

I sent my DME back to Frank. He lost it so I got another DME unmodified. Many flashes later (Frank flashed SMG tune, my car is manual) I can drive my car near perfectly, no flap, no glitching, no sputtering.

Drove like this for some time but ended up reverting to stock for smog and be hassle free while I moved and started my business that’s when I noticed my cats were hollow. Didn’t notice this before removing them.

Just last week, I put the airbox back in with the original modified DME I got back from Brian to see if he actually fixed it for me. Starts but dies immediately, sounds awful. Glitches again.

I put the other DME in and went for a short drive seems fine but not perfect other than what I mentioned. I need to scan fuel trim before I do anymore driving and burn another set of cats.

Based on your answers it seems like it’s functioning mostly normal. I have no idea if it’s even CSL tune after flashing so much back and forth with Frank tinkering trying to get things to work. It’s been a long time now that I’m digging back into this.

Comment

Kevin, you mentioned swapping between the two DME's but what wiring configuration are you currently running: MAF or MAP? I don't remember disabling the MAF input function in the file I gave you to pass emissions, so is there a chance you're still configured for MAF and trying to run CSL tune. Nevertheless this sounds like an issue with the tune and not the DME itself. I didn't see any indications of failed or burnt components other than the little resistor I replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
              Kevin, you mentioned swapping between the two DME's but what wiring configuration are you currently running: MAF or MAP? I don't remember disabling the MAF input function in the file I gave you to pass emissions, so is there a chance you're still configured for MAF and trying to run CSL tune. Nevertheless this sounds like an issue with the tune and not the DME itself. I didn't see any indications of failed or burnt components other than the little resistor I replaced.

Brian? Hello!! I drove around on the third DME a bit more and runs fine (supposed base CSL tune) other than hunting idle at times.

The DME with TTFS sticker on it is the one causing electrical glitches. The wiring is not changed between the two and I’m running the green MAP sensor.

it’s possible the tune is wrong but the twitching throttle bodies has happened since the beginning although at first it would only happen sometimes.

Here’s my wiring setup:

Flap motor: x6002 pin 8 and pin 9 (both vacant) (in my notes I have swapped these at some point, not sure)

IAT ground: x6003/25 (tapped)
              IAT power: ix6003/22 (removed MAF pin)

MAP ground: x6003/17 (removed MAF pin)
              MAP signal: x6003/18 (vacant)
              MAP power: x6003/07 (tapped)

FPS ground: x6003/20 (tapped)
              FPS signal: x6003/01 (removed MAF pin)
              FPS power: x6003/14 (tapped)

Comment

Sorry for the late response! I'll send you a new tune file to see if that fixes it.

Comment

Working...
                X