Kassel Converted DME - Car Won’t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kassel Converted DME - Car Won’t Start

Hey fellas, just installed my Kassel converted DME (MSS54 to MSS54HP to CSL) and the car won’t start.

Car is a 2003.5, 6MT and otherwise stock at the moment. Airbox (Haimus, no flap), MAP, and euro headers scheduled for install week of April 8th, followed by a Hassan tune.

Kassel confirmed the car would be driveable with the converted DME and prior to the mods. The DME is original to my car so didn’t need the EWS delete.

I reached out to him yesterday immediately after the failed start but have yet to hear back so figured I’d consult the wizards here in the meantime. I’m a complete novice with this stuff.

What’s the likely issue? Should the car be driveable?

Cheers

Originally posted by PRIM3 View Post
    Hey fellas, just installed my Kassel converted DME (MSS54 to MSS54HP to CSL) and the car won’t start.

Car is a 2003.5, 6MT and otherwise stock at the moment. Airbox (Haimus, no flap), MAP, and euro headers scheduled for install week of April 8th, followed by a Hassan tune.

Kassel confirmed the car would be driveable with the converted DME and prior to the mods. The DME is original to my car so didn’t need the EWS delete.

I reached out to him yesterday immediately after the failed start but have yet to hear back so figured I’d consult the wizards here in the meantime. I’m a complete novice with this stuff.

Cheers
    Reach out to Kassel via FB Messenger for a reply. If you email them or message them on IG they won't see it.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Cheers
      You still need ews delete or to have the ews realigned

The physical DME may be original to your car, but that DME is far from being close to what originally came in your car. Electrically. It's been heavily modified from a non-hp to an HP and it has completely different software program and tune file

I don't Know why Kassel didn't inform you that that was a bad idea to say you don't need ews delete

Hopefully it's something else and they still ews deleted it

But for peace of mind you should try downloading ECUworx software and BMWflash

Use BMW flash To download the tune file from your DME

Then load the tune file into ECUworx And see if ews is deleted or not

If it is not then it sounds like you need to ews delete it to get your car started.

You can do it yourself with the ECUworx software but you need to pay for a license. The unlicensed mode you can only read no writing.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

You still need ews delete or to have the ews realigned

The physical DME may be original to your car, but that DME is far from being close to what originally came in your car. Electrically. It's been heavily modified from a non-hp to an HP and it has completely different software program and tune file

I don't Know why Kassel didn't inform you that that was a bad idea to say you don't need ews delete

Hopefully it's something else and they still ews deleted it

But for peace of mind you should try downloading ECUworx software and BMWflash

Use BMW flash To download the tune file from your DME

Then load the tune file into ECUworx And see if ews is deleted or not

If it is not then it sounds like you need to ews delete it to get your car started.

You can do it yourself with the ECUworx software but you need to pay for a license. The unlicensed mode you can only read no writing.

Thanks!

To be clear Kassel asked whether I wanted EWS on or off. I responded with the same misunderstanding above, that it’s original to my car and thus I didn’t need EWS delete (swear I read that somewhere, my mistake).

Kassel didn’t respond with a correction as you’ve done, which is the eyebrow raising part, and that was the last email before my DME was returned in the mail.

Confirmed with Kassel this afternoon that the EWS needs to be either synced or turned off.

A little more guidance up front would have been helpful but ultimately my fault for the misunderstanding.

Thankfully Kassel has offered to remote-in and complete the sync. Now I just need to find 120’ of ethernet cable to get internet from my condo to my underground parkade…

Comment

Thanks!

To be clear Kassel asked whether I wanted EWS on or off. I responded with the same misunderstanding above, that it’s original to my car and thus I didn’t need EWS delete (swear I read that somewhere, my mistake).

Kassel didn’t respond with a correction as you’ve done, which is the eyebrow raising part, and that was the last email before my DME was returned in the mail.

Confirmed with Kassel this afternoon that the EWS needs to be either synced or turned off.

A little more guidance up front would have been helpful but ultimately my fault for the misunderstanding.

Thankfully Kassel has offered to remote-in and complete the sync. Now I just need to find 120’ of ethernet cable to get internet from my condo to my underground parkade…
          Do you know someone with a WiFi connection at their house? You could also hotspot from your phone if the 5G service is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Do you know someone with a WiFi connection at their house? You could also hotspot from your phone if the 5G service is good.
            Yeah, i don't quite understand, do you not have service in the parking garage? hotspot it, or find a wifi connection. Why cable your way like a caveman

Comment

Absolutely zero cell service where my car is parked in the underground garage.

Not to worry! I overcame like a proper caveman this morning using an Ethernet cable connected to the modem in my condo, draped out the 3rd floor window and into the underground, and connected to a wifi transmitter/booster about 30’ from the car.

Kassel remoted in and turned off the EWS (he said engine portion only, which I assume leaves all key security intact?).

Car fired up and will be under the mod knife in a mere 2 weeks.

Any suggestions on extraneous things I should consider asking Hassan to code? Thinking;

•Shift lights enabled for 6MT-equipped vehicles

•Sport mode memory enabled (full time)

•Dyno Rev-limit delete (necessary?)

Comment

Working...
              X