XP or Win7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP or Win7?

I am VERY new when it comes to anything relating to hooking a cable to my M3.
    I have a current gen. laptop now running windows 10 but I'm thinking I'd like to buy an older laptop and just dedicate it to E46 M3 coding/tuning.
    My question is what would be the best OS to run? Windows XP 32 bit or Windows 7 32 bit? I really don't know that I will ever really be heavily involved in tuning, but I would like to be able to do simple things like reset adaptations, program shift lights, sport button memory etc.
    Please forgive my ignorance, with not a lot of work lately I thought I'd start the learning process.
    Last edited by Cubieman; 03-26-2020, 06:49 AM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

I'm running Win10 64bit and my INPA runs fine.
    17 iO1 i3
    16 F22 M235i
    08 E93 M3
    04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Originally posted by Da Jemster View Post
      I'm running Win10 64bit and my INPA runs fine.
      Same here. No problems with INPA, ISTA/D, NCS Expert, or WinKFP. Never figured out how to install ISTA/P but never needed it.

Comment

It doesn’t really matter, you can make it run on nearly anything.

Comment

Well that's encouraging, I think I'll just try it out my current setup then. Thanks for the responses on my newb question, very much appreciated.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Somewhat off-topic but you really have to hand it to Microsoft -- they somehow manage to get software designed for Windows 3.1 to run on a state of the art OS. And yes, INPA was originally designed to run on 3.1 -- that's why some version are 16-bit binaries!

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post
              Somewhat off-topic but you really have to hand it to Microsoft -- they somehow manage to get software designed for Windows 3.1 to run on a state of the art OS. And yes, INPA was originally designed to run on 3.1 -- that's why some version are 16-bit binaries!
              I'm suddenly tempted to load 3.1 in a VM and try to get ediabas running

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

I'm suddenly tempted to load 3.1 in a VM and try to get ediabas running
                I bet there's no FT232RL driver for 3.1 😢

Comment

I bet there's no FT232RL driver for 3.1 😢
                  I don't think USB support was even a thing with 3.1. Could probably virtualize the "serial port" from the host and get it to work.

Comment

Sadly for the oldest ediabas version I have (6.4.3), the installer itself requires at least Windows 95 or NT 4.0 Service Pack 3. Might not be impossible to get some components to work in 3.1 by manually installing them, but it's quite the pain to transfer files to an old OS that doesn't support USB and where networking capabilities is an afterthought. Even in NT, inpa doesn't seem to be able to call ediabas (I do have the path environment variable set correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                      Sadly for the oldest ediabas version I have (6.4.3), the installer itself requires at least Windows 95 or NT 4.0 Service Pack 3. Might not be impossible to get some components to work in 3.1 by manually installing them, but it's quite the pain to transfer files to an old OS that doesn't support USB and where networking capabilities is an afterthought. Even in NT, inpa doesn't seem to be able to call ediabas (I do have the path environment variable set correctly).
                      That's unfortunate. I wonder how it would do in 98 SE

Comment

That's unfortunate. I wonder how it would do in 98 SE
                        Yeah I tried Win 95 and kept getting processor errors on boot since I guess VMs are too fast. Got bored after that.

If 3.1 can be made to work, would be interesting to see if that's light enough to run reasonably well on a raspberry pi / qemu.

Comment

I've read that a dedicated computer is recommended for installing/running BMW tools like INPA, NCS expert, etc, because the install can screw up other programs on your computer. Is this a myth or is there some real risk that comes with running these tools? Should i not use my primary laptop for this?

Comment

Originally posted by slithershift View Post
                            I've read that a dedicated computer is recommended for installing/running BMW tools like INPA, NCS expert, etc, because the install can screw up other programs on your computer. Is this a myth or is there some real risk that comes with running these tools? Should i not use my primary laptop for this?
                            There's just a lot of associated fluff that gets installed and runs at logon. That's why I use a dedicated machine for it.

Comment

Originally posted by slithershift View Post
                              If you don’t install the software correctly then maybe. But everything is pretty straight forward. The only thing that might affect other programs is ista when changing the sample rate from 16 ms to 1 ms. But that is easily reversible and hasn’t affected any of my programs

Comment

Working...
                              X