Interpreting some fault codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interpreting some fault codes

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum for this, or if the main forum would be better, but here goes. I used Martyn's new DME Utility to pull the faults because my service engine soon light kept coming back. Matched the fault codes up with the English translations online, and got these:

79: EGT sensor

87: Lambda sensor post cat bank 1
    92: Lambda sensor post cat bank 1 voltage
    I have BimmerWorld's PaceSetter headers on the car from the previous owner, but unfortunately they don't sell them anymore so I can't find much info about them. The old product page shows bungs for EGT, pre-cat O2 and post-cat O2 sensors so assuming the EGT is hooked up, this probably means my EGT sensor is going bad?

For the O2 sensor codes, I have both "Disable Cat Efficiency DTCs" and "Disable Rear O2 DTCs" checked in my binary editor app, though I never cleared faults after that so I'll clear them and see if they come back.

72: VANOS retard valve - inlet bank 1
    184: Inlet VANOS bank 1 function
    Uhh... I'm about 1300 miles from my 60k Inspection II and I was going to do all the VANOS stuff then, so maybe it's about time? From Beisan's writeup I'm to understand VANOS is essentially off because this fault code is active. I will try their instructions on seeing if I can differentiate between the solenoid pack and oil pump driver tabs.

I also got fault code 6 which was hard to find info for, but sounds like the DME lost contact with the SMG hardware at some point. Could have been due to my flashing of the SMG module, I'll reset and see if it comes back.

Am I on the right track here? Does anyone have any further advice?
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Screenshots of the utility if it helps...
    Attached Files

Comment

Cleared the faults, reset adaptations, then idled for a few min per Beisan's writeup. No faults. Drove around for almost an hour, no faults after either. Who knows.

Wish the fault codes had a timestamp, no telling how old these are.

Comment

Have you pulled adaptations again? I wonder if you ignition #s are the same as the screenshot in above post. Mine are high(?) like you, around -4. Trying to figure out why.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Have you pulled adaptations again? I wonder if you ignition #s are the same as the screenshot in above post. Mine are high(?) like you, around -4. Trying to figure out why.
          I haven't, but I can check it out when I get back to the car. I've since done the full Beisan VANOS lockdown, and I haven't had any codes come up since I reset them.

Comment

Do you have re-located post cat/egt?
            I didn't do the best job of making a loom when I re-located those 3 sensors to section 1 and as a result water from the cabin air drip spout would drop right down on the wires and travel back to the EGT sensor producing the #79 error that you have.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Working...
            X