Looking for some tuning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some tuning help

I installed an S54 into a Datsun 240z, the ECU was cleared of non essential features that weren't needed for the swap, the throttle by wire was retained and the engine is running the stock MAF with Kassel's street tune. The car is running and driveable but there is stumbling on acceleration and stalling if I come to a stop too quickly.
    I picked up a Creator C501 scanner, I'm an old fart and codes are not intuitive to me, hoping you guys will help.

Here's what the ECU has to say,
    DTC
    51 signal, interface, multifunction steering wheel. (there is no multifunction steering wheel in the car)
    6B function, electric gas actuator : adaptation.
    OE tank, minor leak.
    2C signal, thermal oil-level, sensor. (there is no oil level sensor)
    29 signal, air mass flow sensor, right.

Datastream
    Misfire counter - not active.
    Cylinder 1 sum 239
    " 2 sum 648
    " 3 sum 345
    " 4 sum 310
    " 5 sum 812
    " 6 sum 266
    Voltage, potentionmeter, at servomotor 4v
    Control factor, charge controller 1
    Rise, pot. at throttle 29 %/v
    Rise, pot. at servomotor 28 %/v
    Throttle, leakage air 1.4 kg/hr
    Pot. at throttle, zero stop .5 v
    Pot. at servomotor, zero stop 4.1 v
    Max deviation between spec. and actual values of throttle position 4. %
    Counter increased EDK duty factor 1
    Adaptation, sensor gear, crankshaft 1 0.00%
    " " " 2 -0.26 %
    " " " 3 -0.67 %
    " " " 4 -0.07 %
    " " " 5 -0.36 %
    " " " 6 -0.54 %
    No, adaption, sensor gear, crankshaft 30
    Power supply 14v
    Ambient pressure 980 m/bar
    Knock adaptation cyl 1 -2 *cr
    " " cyl 2 -2 *cr
    " " cyl 3 -2 *cr
    " " cyl 4 0 *cr
    " " cyl 5 -2 *cr
    " " cyl 6 -2 *cr
    O2 sensor controller, bank 1 control factor 1

Any category not mentioned above had a value of 0.00
    Thanks,
    Chris

Are those different than the BMW DTCs? I swear I’m either going crazy or those codes don’t match the error explanations I have.

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...es-s54.126416/

What faults show up if you plug in a laptop and use the Ecuworx free tool?
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Shoot me a text 412 260 139seven. I can send you full and partial swap binaries. There’s more that needs edited in there.

Comment

Thanks guys, both very useful. PITTM3RR, my son is going to text you to get that info from you. Thanks again.

Comment

Do you have a build journal for this car somewhere? One of my friends just picked up a 280 and I'm absolutely in love with it, and ever since you posted about your car a few months ago I can't get the thought of S54 swapping one of these out of my head, it's seriously keeping me up at night!!

Comment

Here is the whole thread, if you just want the S54 swap then it starts at the bottom of page 25, https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/...ngine-in-my-z/
            I took it out yesterday for the first real pedal to floor test and the acceleration is terrifying, my on going hunt for more power is now over. It is the sweetest engine I've ever worked on.

Comment

If you have a windows laptop and one of these USB OBD2 BMW specific cables - https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-Diagno.../dp/B017IG81SQ, you can use BMW tools and INPA software to get all the BMW specific codes from all the different modules and enable/disable certain features. Someone knowledgeable with these tools can also help you out via Teamviewer on your laptop. I only know the basics, but send me a PM if you need help with the software.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                If you have a windows laptop and one of these USB OBD2 BMW specific cables - https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-Diagno.../dp/B017IG81SQ, you can use BMW tools and INPA software to get all the BMW specific codes from all the different modules and enable/disable certain features. Someone knowledgeable with these tools can also help you out via Teamviewer on your laptop. I only know the basics, but send me a PM if you need help with the software.
                Thanks Slideways, I have ordered that cable and PITTM3RR has kindly offered to send me a program that will help.

As for the codes I have erased them and driven the car a few more times, some of the codes re-appear, some have never come back.
                So far the most serious reoccurring code is 90 Function, oxygen sensor control Bank 1. That O2 sensor is brand new from ECS, now I wish I had bought it from FCP
                I'm going to try installing the old O2 sensor and see what happens before buying a new one..

Comment

Working...
                X