Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 e46 m3 cluster swap

hi
    my cluster doesn't work properly and I want to replace it with another one that I have.
    how can I put my vin number ķand code the abs so the lights will turn off??
    thans

If your replacement cluster is the same hw and sw version as your existing one, then the easiest thing to do is remove the eeprom from your current cluster and fit it to the new one.

The other option (and what you will need to do if the hw and sw are different versions) is to use PA Soft (bmw scanner 1.4) to dump the eeprom from your existing cluster and then do the same from the new cluster, so you have a backup of each.

Then either blank the eeprom (hardwork and expensive option and not always successful), or replace the eeprom with a new blank one, then edit the dump from the new cluster so that the mileage and vin are blank, flash that back in to the eeprom then you can set the vin correctly.

The mileage will then update from the LSZ once the vin is correct.

There was a thread on exactly how to do it on the old forum as I did this to update my pre-facelift SMG cluster with a late 05 cluster, but I don't remember the exact steps now, however a google search should find you some old info posted by terra on another board.

Comment

So without to open the cluster you can't make it work??that's what I try to avoid...to open it

Comment

I had a used cluster virginized by a business called fixels.

Comment

Originally posted by And1m3 View Post
          So without to open the cluster you can't make it work??that's what I try to avoid...to open it
          No, to erase the chip you need some hardware and solder wires to the back of the board inside the cluster (back cover off only).

To replace the eeprom, you have to strip the cluster down.

Comment

Ok thanks alot guys ...ill see if I find someone that do that job

Comment

The easiest way I've found is to change the VIN in the LZS to match the dash and then just redo the steering angle alignment.
              I've never seen the dash take the mileage from the LSZ, I think there's a seperate command needed to get it to do this.
              It will automatically do it on E60/E90's though, so be careful with those.

To just get rid of the ABS light, (and tamper dot would remain), all you'd need to do is recalibrate the steering angle sensor. Sometimes it might be code the steering angle sensor/ABS/DSC, but I'm fairly sure it's just a steering angle sensor and the ABS/DSC will work as normal until you get the other bits done.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnd View Post
                The easiest way I've found is to change the VIN in the LZS to match the dash and then just redo the steering angle alignment.
                I've never seen the dash take the mileage from the LSZ, I think there's a seperate command needed to get it to do this.

To just get rid of the ABS light, (and tamper dot would remain), all you'd need to do is recalibrate the steering angle sensor. Sometimes it might be code the steering angle sensor/ABS/DSC, but I'm fairly sure it's just a steering angle sensor and the ABS/DSC will work as normal until you get the other bits done.
                But ill have different VIN on both after and i don't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnd View Post

No command needed, the mileage will only update when it's been zero'd and the vin is correct (also the tamper dot is removed doing it this way).

Comment

Working...
                  X