Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mss5x binary tool + bmwflash or mssflasher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mss5x binary tool + bmwflash or mssflasher?

Looking to buy a license to code my car. Im sure I want the binary tool, but if I want to take a partial and flash it back after editing it with mss5x binary tool, can I just use bmwflash which is free? What's the point of mssflasher or what could it do that the other 2, together, couldn't? Thank you
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Biggest thing with MSSFlasher is it allows you to clear the flash counter without having to remove the DME and BDM into it. Makes tuning this thing so much less of a hassle. Other benefits are it lets you do program writes (useful if you want run the CSL software or run mods like the shift light strobe thing I made) and it is also generally much faster (for writing - reads are still limited to the standard speed). It does not replicate any of the MSS5x binary tool functionality, so if that's something you feel you need, you'll need that anyway.

If you think you'll only ever flash your DME once or twice and never touch it again, BMWFlash is fine. If you're the type of person who will always be going in there to tweak something or another, then MSSFlasher is well worth it (well unless someone releases something with similar capabilities for free).

Comment

Understood, thank you.

So you can't reset the FC with the binary tool? Could you do it manually, with a hex editor?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        Understood, thank you.

So you can't reset the FC with the binary tool? Could you do it manually, with a hex editor?
        Nope, the flash counter is in an area of the DME that's not meant to be accessible (meant for manufacturing data and such). Turns out there's an undocumented function that lets you erase everything that section. So MSSFlasher backs up that region, uses said undocumented function to wipe it out, and then rewrites everything back minus the flash counter.

Comment

Ok I see. And we get 30 flashes? I know I've done 6. Pos did zero I bet, maybe dealership.

thanks terra

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Ok I see. And we get 30 flashes? I know I've done 6. Pos did zero I bet, maybe dealership.

thanks terra
            In theory 30. In practice sometimes less. I think MSSFlasher can let you know how many flashes you have left even if you don't buy a license, so that might be worth checking.

Comment

Ah yes and I just read that INPA will if you can decipher the FF FF FF FF FF minus the 00 00 ....

Comment

Has anyone gotten the folks who build MSS Flasher to reply to email? I am trying to update my license on a new PC and not getting any response from them.

Comment

Actually nevermind. I see I had a reply from Paul in my junk email folder.

Comment

Working...
                  X