2002 Model Year NCS Oddity - VIN Faulty Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 Model Year NCS Oddity - VIN Faulty Error

I wanted to do some simple coding on a friend's 2002 E46 M3 yesterday; however, I couldn't get NCS Expert to read the car. The errors were as follows:

VIN is faulty

COAPI-1081: GM-Schluessl fehlerhaff FFFFFFF
    COAPI-1080: Codierschlussel fehlerhaft FFFFFFFy FFFFFF80EF02033280C91D004AR
    COAPI-1080: Codierschlussel fehlerhaft
    COAPI-1000: Fehler

INPA connects and reads all modules fine. PA Soft could also connect to the car without issue; however, the options we wanted to enable weren't possible with it.

Right after this I tried NCS on my own car and it worked fine.

Am I missing something simple here or what's going on?

Have you tried connecting through the different modules, i.e. AKMB, ALSZ, or EWS? Also check the pin toggle switch on your cable on the OBD side (if you have the cable from Amazon like i do), you may have to do trial and error and try each position to see if you can read the VIN.

Comment

Yes, tried every single possible combination more than once. My cable is soldiered to jump pins 7 and 8, could that have caused an issue? Works fine on my 05 but not this car. The cable also works on my 2000 touring but I use it through the round connector under the hood on that car for everything except the DME.

Comment

Any other ideas on what may be causing this? Would really like to help my friend out with some basic coding, if possible.

Comment

Found this post that might help you: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973071

might need to move the .man and .trc files out of WORK folder. Since those files were from your touring car.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
            Found this post that might help you: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973071

might need to move the .man and .trc files out of WORK folder. Since those files were from your touring car.
            Interesting, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Tried again yesterday but it was a no go again. INPA reads the car fine and everything else seems to work except for NCS Expert on this particular car. I gave him the info on the software and he's going to try a fresh install of the bmw tools to see if it makes any difference.

He did mention that the car was wrecked and rebuilt at one point, but I don't know to what extent or what all has been replaced. I'm going to assume its the car and not the software based on this.

Comment

Working...
              X