No announcement yet.

Adding US emissions readiness to CSL Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To follow up on what nextelbuddy said... In Texas we had (have?) (2) different brand machines, ESP and World. When I worked a the dealership we had (2) ESP machines and we had stock US cars with the "updated" software and they sometimes didn't pass. In that case we would send them down the street to a tire shop that had World machines and they would pass.

We just had a CSL converted DME setup with Terra's software and tuned by HTE and it passed with no issue, although I don't know the brand of the machine the client used in that case.
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Quick update:

Got a backup MSS54 DME off eBay just for emissions. Couldn't get the car to start properly, so called on HassanEido for his help. He was super cool, on a Sunday afternoon, to help me out with an updated full binary and tune file (couldn't update VIN on new DME, couldn't sync EWS, etc etc).

He deleted the EWS, updated the tune with Alpha-N, and the IAT, Schrick 280/272 and SuperSprint setup and got me going in no time (not kidding when I say the whole process was no more than 15 minutes !!!)

Did a full drive cycle to get the monitors to ready state and took the car to the same emissions station, and this time it passed.

Word of warning, and not sure if all stations do this, but they asked me "where the catalytic converters were" 🤣 I guess they _ARE_ doing visual inspection in Virginia as well. Since I have SuperSprint cat-less headers, and catted Section-1, I told them "oh, that .. I had them replaced and now they are under the car. He used a flash light to verify and gave me the PASS.

PHEW!! is all I could say. I was genuinely worried about the visual inspection part
      2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
      Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
      SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
      ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover​
      Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Good stuff. They wouldn't be able to visually validate stock cats unless it were on a lift so its sort of a silly question to begin with - he probably wanted to see what you said. Certainly stench would give away no cats.
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by HanSooloo View Post
          Quick update:

Got a backup MSS54 DME off eBay just for emissions. Couldn't get the car to start properly, so called on HassanEido for his help. He was super cool, on a Sunday afternoon, to help me out with an updated full binary and tune file (couldn't update VIN on new DME, couldn't sync EWS, etc etc).

He deleted the EWS, updated the tune with Alpha-N, and the IAT, Schrick 280/272 and SuperSprint setup and got me going in no time (not kidding when I say the whole process was no more than 15 minutes !!!)

Did a full drive cycle to get the monitors to ready state and took the car to the same emissions station, and this time it passed.

Word of warning, and not sure if all stations do this, but they asked me "where the catalytic converters were" 🤣 I guess they _ARE_ doing visual inspection in Virginia as well. Since I have SuperSprint cat-less headers, and catted Section-1, I told them "oh, that .. I had them replaced and now they are under the car. He used a flash light to verify and gave me the PASS.

PHEW!! is all I could say. I was genuinely worried about the visual inspection part
          Kinda OT, but any thoughts on the HTE alpha N tune vs the CSL tune for driveability?

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post

Kinda OT, but any thoughts on the HTE alpha N tune vs the CSL tune for driveability?
            His Alpha-N tune was just to help me drive to the emissions station and pass the test. No tweaks, no special considerations. FWIW, the car feels "normal", almost the same as before I had all the hardware mods.

I am hoping to get the full CSL tune that takes into account the mods in the coming days.
            2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
            Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
            SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
            ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover​
            Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Working...
            X