PMAS HPX MAF to S54 MAF Wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMAS HPX MAF to S54 MAF Wiring?

I'm going turbo (stock DME tuning) and will be running a PMAS HPX Maf. it is a 6 wire MAF that includes 2 IAT wires that will be unused as i will be wiring an e36 style IAT sensor directly to the DME like the CSL setup.

i have the pinouts for the PMAS and the M3 but getting a little confused on some of the wiring.

the pinouts for the PMAS are as follows:
    Purpose Pin Loc.
    IAT 1
    SIGRTN IAT 2
    MAF Signal Out 3
    MAF RTN GND 4
    GND 5
    VPWR +12V 6
    and the pinouts for the MSS54 MAF i got from the newTIS site are as follows:
    Purpose Pin Loc.
    IAT Signal 1
    12v+ supply 2
    MAF Ground 3
    MAF Voltage supply 4
    MAF SIgnal 5
    This is the pinout spreadsheet i started making:
    PMAS HPX Wiring
    Purpose Pin Loc. Color From Color To Pin Loc. Alt Pin Loc. Connection Location
    IAT 1 Unused Unused Unused - use separate IAT connection directly to DME
    SIGRTN IAT 2 Unused Unused Unused - use separate IAT connection directly to DME
    MAF Signal Out 3 TBD Yellow 5 1 - x60003 x6207 Maf Connector
    MAF RTN GND 4 TBD Brown/Orange 3 17 - x60003 x6207 Maf Connector
    GND 5 TBD Brown/Orange 3
    VPWR +12V 6 TBD Red/White stripe 2 x6207 Maf Connector
    IAT wiring
    IAT Wiring
    IAT 1 TBD Yellow/Blue 22 x60003 DME Connector
    SIGRTN IAT 2 TBD Brown 25 x60003 DME Connector
    the MSS54 MAF has 2 voltage supply wires, one 12v on pin 2 and another 5v on pin 4 and one MAF Ground on pin 3

the PMAS MAF only has one 12v supply and two grounds (1 main ground and 1 MAF ground)

so per my spreadsheet i dont know what to do with the left over 5 volt ground wire from the S54 side and the left over ground with the PMAS side.

Was hoping some of the wiring gurus in here though may not have expertise with the PMAS MAF, could lend some advice on how to possibly handle this.

maybe i'm over thinking it and i do nothing with the 5 v supply from the MSS54 side and just chassis ground the PMAS left over ground wire?

not sure why the S54 MAF needs 2 different voltage supplies and the PMAS only has 1 main voltage supply, i guess the MSS54 D uses a 5 volt as a base reference voltage?

thanks for any help
    Last edited by nextelbuddy; 11-17-2021, 11:03 AM.

well looks like i got an answer. i also emailed PMAS but didnt expect them to answer but they came through.

per PMAS Support:

simply tie the two grounds together on the HPX harness. Don't use the 5V ref.

im sure this wont be useful to many in here but you never know, good to have this knowledge on the forums for someone in the future looking to do it.

Comment

Signed up just to say thanks.

Not a BMW but I was wiring up a PMAS MAF to my Subaru and could not figure out how to do it. My Subaru MAF sensor has +12v, not +5v (except for the IAT wires).
      It felt to me like some of these wiring diagrams are mis-labeled for the 05 connector. From what I was looking at it seemed like #4 should have been a +5v supply to the MAF sensor but it is a ground as you have stated.

So on the Ford 05+ connector for the PMAS MAF:

Wire 6 to +12v.
      Wires 4 and 5 to ground.
      Wire 3 to MAF signal return (to the ECU)
      Wires 1 + 2 not used (My IAT is relocated).

Last edited by superchargedOutback; 04-03-2021, 04:03 AM.

Comment

5v ref is for the MAP sensor. Make sure you rescale the transfer function table (volts-to-airmass, KL_HFM_ML_U)?

Comment

[QUOTE=nextelbuddy;n52583]I'm going turbo (stock DME tuning) and will be running a PMAS HPX Maf. it is a 6 wire MAF that includes 2 IAT wires that will be unused as i will be wiring an e36 style IAT sensor directly to the DME like the CSL setup.

i have the pinouts for the PMAS and the M3 but getting a little confused on some of the wiring.

the pinouts for the PMAS are as follows:
          Purpose Pin Loc.
          IAT 1
          SIGRTN IAT 2
          MAF Signal Out 3
          MAF RTN GND 4
          GND 5
          VPWR +12V 6
          and the pinouts for the MSS54 MAF i got from the newTIS site are as follows:
          Purpose Pin Loc.
          IAT Signal 1
          12v+ supply 2
          MAF Ground 3
          MAF Voltage supply 4
          MAF SIgnal 5
          This is the pinout spreadsheet i started making:
          PMAS HPX Wiring
          GND 5 TBD
          VPWR +12V 6 TBD Red/White stripe 4 x6207 Maf Connector
          IAT wiring
          IAT Wiring
          IAT 1 TBD Yellow/Blue 22 x60003 DME Connector
          SIGRTN IAT 2 TBD Brown 25 x60003 DME Connector

the MSS54 MAF has 2 voltage supply wires, one 12v on pin 2 and another 5v on pin 4 and one MAF Ground on pin 3

the PMAS MAF only has one 12v supply and two grounds (1 main ground and 1 MAF ground)

so per my spreadsheet i dont know what to do with the left over 5 volt ground wire from the S54 side and the left over ground with the PMAS side.

Was hoping some of the wiring gurus in here though may not have expertise with the PMAS MAF, could lend some advice on how to possibly handle this.

maybe i'm over thinking it and i do nothing with the 5 v supply from the MSS54 side and just chassis ground the PMAS left over ground wire?

not sure why the S54 MAF needs 2 different voltage supplies and the PMAS only has 1 main voltage supply, i guess the MSS54 D uses a 5 volt as a base reference voltage?

thanks for an

Comment

I am working on the same setup.Did you figure out how to connect the HPX to The MSS54 properly?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMiii View Post
              I am working on the same setup.Did you figure out how to connect the HPX to The MSS54 properly?

Thanks.
              Yes it shows above the wiring diagram already. my only question was what to do for a 5v ref on the s54 MAF connector and what to do with the 2 ground wires on the PMAS connector

this ended up being correct wiring for me

on the PMAS connector you just tie in both ground pins 4 and 5 together and route that to pin 3 of the S54 MAF connector
              PMAS HPX Wiring
              GND 5 TBD Brown/Orange 3
              x6207 Maf Connector
              VPWR +12V 6 TBD Red/White stripe 2 x6207 Maf Connector
              Last edited by nextelbuddy; 11-17-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks that is really helpful 👍

Comment

It seems In your wiring diagram that you connect the +12v from the HPX Maf(number 6) to number 4 of mss54 witch Is the voltage supply. The 12v of mss54 is the number 2 on your pinout diagram.i am little confused....
                  Does it make sense the 12v of maf to connect to the 5v of the mss54 as the calibration spreadsheet from pmas is stops at 5v?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeMiii View Post
                    It seems In your wiring diagram that you connect the +12v from the HPX Maf(number 6) to number 4 of mss54 witch Is the voltage supply. The 12v of mss54 is the number 2 on your pinout diagram.i am little confused....
                    Does it make sense the 12v of maf to connect to the 5v of the mss54 as the calibration spreadsheet from pmas is stops at 5v?
                    I corrected wire diagram and pinouts in the original post, i had them wrong. I had them correct in my car just had a typo here on the forums.

PMAS PIN 6 12+ goes to MSS54 MAF Pin 2 Red/White stripe which is 12+v as well. Pin 4 5v reference on MSS54 MAF harness which is red/green is unused and both grounds on the PMAS get tied together and tied in with PIN 3 MSS54 MAF plug which is ground Brow/Orange

Comment

Working...
                    X