Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evolve tune files .mov & .mod - issue with binary tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolve tune files .mov & .mod - issue with binary tool?

Good morning,

Just some quick questions before I purchase Martyn's tool. I'm tuned by Evolve and the file is a .mod. I also have another, older file that's a .mov.

In my research so far, it seems like every read, full or partial, is referred to as a .bin. Assuming my most recent evolve file (2018) isn't locked (my old one was, I don't *think* this one is), will Martyn's tool be able to read this file type or any file type besides .bin?

Or should I attempt to pull a partial with BMWflash, and that will be a .bin that the binary tool can edit? I can test that today, if BMW flash can even pull a read or if I'm locked.

Also, anyone know if you would still use the evolve flasher tool to flash a modified file (if I'm successful in editing it)? Or would I then use bmwflash because Martyn's tool might spit out a .bin?

Much thanks
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

I usually read as .bin with BMWFlash, edit with Martyn's tool and then flash new .bin. The .mov or .mod seems to be Evolve's file format to read/flash with only their software.

Comment

Yes I know that. Asking if bmwflash and binary tool can work with (unlocked) evolve files.

Comment

Whoo-hoo! I was able to do a read with bmwflash so now I have a bin file and I know my evolve tune isn't locked.

I'd still like to know if the binary tool can edit a .mod or .mov evolve tune file, if anyone knows.

I'll update the thread again after buying and playing around with Martyn's tool I suppose.

p.s. I had to download ft232 drivers. windows (7) didn't recognize my cable nor did it update drivers upon command. Had to point driver update to the folder with the downloaded drivers.
        Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

You won't be able to modify a mod/mov file with my tool as they are encrypted

Comment

Thank you for responding Martyn! Can you also please confirm that if I was able to successfully take a partial with bmwflash of my car, that is currently flashed with the aforementioned evolve (stg 3 alpha n) tune, that my evolve tune isn't locked? And that I'll be able to edit that newly saved .bin file with your tool?

Since I (may) have you, could you also confirm or deny that the read that the evolve tool (evolve-r now i-flash) takes, which is an .org file, is also proprietary or encrypted? I've used evolve tool to flash my car twice over the years, stg 1 & 3, and the reads that they had me take were never .bin. Just curious if you know since it appears you're familiar with evolve a tad, cheers!

Comment

Generally, if you can take a read from the car with BMWFlash it should be fine. Sometimes an encrypted ECU won't allow you to read it with BMWFlash, other times it will but the file will be useless. Either way you'll soon find out when you try and load it in to my software, if the values are populated correctly then you know you are good to go.

I-Flash / Evolve-R generally produces encrypted .org (original) files and accept .mod (modified) files which are also encrypted. Evolve decrypt the org files, tune them and then re-encrypt them, the resulting file is generally a .mod.

Comment

Thank you for confirming! I look forward to using your tool (if it can read the .bin I made)!

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                  Generally, if you can take a read from the car with BMWFlash it should be fine. Sometimes an encrypted ECU won't allow you to read it with BMWFlash, other times it will but the file will be useless. Either way you'll soon find out when you try and load it in to my software, if the values are populated correctly then you know you are good to go.

I-Flash / Evolve-R generally produces encrypted .org (original) files and accept .mod (modified) files which are also encrypted. Evolve decrypt the org files, tune them and then re-encrypt them, the resulting file is generally a .mod.
                  Just to nitpick a little, the ECU is never encrypted. If you read the chips directly or do a BDM read, the resulting binaries are always unencrypted. Evolve used to lock the reading functionality of the DME in an attempt to protect their tunes. My understanding is they've since discontinued that practice.

Comment

I understand that and in hindsight I should have probably said locked rather than encrypted ecu 👍🏻

Comment

Working...
                    X