HELP with TPS Diag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP with TPS Diag

I have an s54 I converted to a MAP sensor with a CSL box. I had a tuner load a base tune on the car for the list of mods I provided and now the car is throwing codes:

107 Electronic Throttle Self Test
    119 Electronic Throttle Potentiometer Bank 2
    120 Electronic Throttle Potentiometer Comparison

To diagnose:
    • I checked to make sure there was nothing interfering with the throttle body linkage and it was moving freely
    • I checked to make sure all my pins were in the correct locations going into the DME for TPS and MAP sensors
    • I've ohmed out all wires for bank 1 / bank 2 TPS and MAP sensors, all checked out ok
    • Checked all the grounds for the sensors, all ok
    • Checked for any shorts in the wires, all ok
    • I back probed and checked voltage going to the TPS's, during the back probe these were the results:
      • Bank 1: 5v in .418v on the sensor 0v on ground
      • Bank 2: 5v in 4.15v on the sensor 0v on ground
    Are these normal readings?
    • I replaced both TPS's on bank 1 / bank 2 and the pedal is also brand new.
    Also worth noting: that when I press the gas pedal, the throttle bodies follow what my foot is doing with the pedal exactly.

I believe everything as far as wiring is concerned is all ok and is not causing this issue (please let me know if I missed something)

The only other things I can think of is the pedal actuator is bad or the file the tuner loaded is not a CSL variant.

I don't have too much knowledge on CSL vs standard M3 tunes but I have read they are different and the CSL relies on the TPS and MAP sensors a differently.

Can anyone chime in if either of these could be the cause or give any advice on what I should do here?
    Any way for me to verify a CSL tune on my own using tunerpro?

I've asked the tuner three times now to verify this is indeed a CSL tune with no response.

To be sure it is not coming from bad modifications in your tune, I would test with an OEM tune or almost OEM if you run with a CSL clone and check if you still have these DTC
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Check if your ECU has CSL software, otherwise I wouldn't know how the tuner is planning to use the MAP sensor input in an airflow modelled ECU.
      Read your partial flash and post it here.
      Check live data (TestO from Pheno (program). Then check incoming voltages. You have 2x pedal, 2x throttle actuator and 1x TPS on ITB.
      Check power supply during cranking. Your power supply may drop below 9V and cause the error. Also check grounds.

Seems you can move the throttle when engine is standing still but have problems with running engine. If you delete error codes with engine off, turn ignition off for 10 seconds and turn it back on, do you still have the error codes or do these only come up after a start?

Comment

Originally posted by MpowerE36 View Post
        To be sure it is not coming from bad modifications in your tune, I would test with an OEM tune or almost OEM if you run with a CSL clone and check if you still have these DTC
        Thanks for the reply I am going to try this next

Comment

Originally posted by Tomba View Post
          Check if your ECU has CSL software, otherwise I wouldn't know how the tuner is planning to use the MAP sensor input in an airflow modelled ECU.
          Read your partial flash and post it here.
          Check live data (TestO from Pheno (program). Then check incoming voltages. You have 2x pedal, 2x throttle actuator and 1x TPS on ITB.
          Check power supply during cranking. Your power supply may drop below 9V and cause the error. Also check grounds.

Seems you can move the throttle when engine is standing still but have problems with running engine. If you delete error codes with engine off, turn ignition off for 10 seconds and turn it back on, do you still have the error codes or do these only come up after a start?
          I read the flash via MSSFlasher and saved the bin. Is that the correct file I should post?

Thanks for the advice I just downloaded the TestO. Hopefully be able to get to the bottom of this with it.

When I delete the error coded and then turn on the car, YES they immediately come back.

Comment

Yes you can post it. We will take a look at it. Did you read the partial (64kb) or the full (1024kb) binary ? Full binary would be better...

Comment

Yes you can post it. We will take a look at it. Did you read the partial (64kb) or the full (1024kb) binary ? Full binary would be better...
              I only grabbed the partial 64kb. Let me know if this will work, I can get the full if need be.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey man you get a chance to look over that tune yet?

Comment

Originally posted by urban_e30_ View Post

Hey man you get a chance to look over that tune yet?
                  Yes, I took a look at it and there are some mistakes and unecessary modifications but I am not sure they can cause the TPS errors you have.

I can make you a minimalist file in order to see if your errors will disappear... Your S54 is in E30 chassis ? OEM cameshafts ? What IAT sensor do you have because you currently have the caracteristic of the IAT integrated into the OEM MAF of the S54 ? This caracteristic is the same as the IAT of the S50B32. Maybe you currently have this IAT in your CSL airbox.

Comment

I actually figured this one out today. After using the live data on TESTO I noticed there was no values for TPS 2. I went back and checked the pin chart.
                    The pin chart description of the wire was EDR motor signal. The first time I looked over the chart, I never realized THAT was the wire I should be focused on, due to the code description from BMW being bank 2 potentiometer (I was looking for that description in the chart).

After realizing this was the correct wire I switched it from location 19 to 10 where it should be and it's all fixed. Feel pretty stupid for looking this one over but hey at least it's fixed.

I really appreciate the help, thank you

Comment

Ok good. You however should verify your tune because at least the chassis configuration is strange, the iat characteristic doesn't fit with a csl airbox unless you have the s50b32 iat and camshafts offsets are also strange

Comment

I did talk to my tuner about that and he is going to make the update to the iat scaling. I’m not sure on the cams I’m running 280/288 cams.

To be fair this was just a base tune he gave me just to get me going to break in the motor. After the motor break in I have some dyno time scheduled when he was going to dial everything in.

Comment

Working...
                        X