Engine Bay Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Bay Detailing

My engine bay is filthy - lots of work done on the car in the last year and 20+ years of filth in various nooks and crannies. The engine bay is full of caked up grease and grime and it needs to be washed to get a proper cleaning (vs spray bottle cleaning and wiping)

Been watching YouTube videos and I’m considering throwing a bag over the alternator and spraying the engine down ( 45° tip with quick passes). Planning on using Griots engine bay cleaner.

In addition to the alternator, are there any components that need to be sealed better or avoided altogether?
    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Not really, just cover the alternator for peace of mind even though it can take some water (best to avoid) and not get damaged. Diluted Simple Green (or car wash soap), brushes and garden hose approach might be a little safer than aggressively power washing grime off the engine bay. Clean when the engine is cold and start it after lightly drying for the remaining water to evaporate.

I'm sure spraying it down with a foam cannon, agitating with a brush and rinsing with a pressure washer would be fine as the electrical components in this engine bay are properly sealed, but if one of the seals has cracked or dried out due to age, it would be annoying to have to track down an electrical problem.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	39161875-0AD9-49B1-8084-67C7A5CD33B6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	230782 I clean my engine bay every 3 or 4 washes with Griot’s engine cleaner and their detail spray. It never gets very dirty, just a bit dusty. Dry with a blower to make sure everything is dry.takes 10 minutes tops.

Comment

Originally posted by Calb View Post
        I clean my engine bay every 3 or 4 washes with Griot’s engine cleaner and their detail spray. It never gets very dirty, just a bit dusty. Dry with a blower to make sure everything is dry.takes 10 minutes tops.

Looks great man! Thanks for sharing. Mind dropping a link to the dressing spray you're using? Is it a water based product?
        Last edited by AWE46M3; 08-26-2023, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          Not really, just cover the alternator for peace of mind even though it can take some water (best to avoid) and not get damaged. Diluted Simple Green (or car wash soap), brushes and garden hose approach might be a little safer than aggressively power washing grime off the engine bay. Clean when the engine is cold and start it after lightly drying for the remaining water to evaporate.

I'm sure spraying it down with a foam cannon, agitating with a brush and rinsing with a pressure washer would be fine as the electrical components in this engine bay are properly sealed, but if one of the seals has cracked or dried out due to age, it would be annoying to have to track down an electrical problem.
          I figured the pressure washer with a wide angle tip would broadcast less water on the components where the hose would put down more water on the engine bay. I'll inspect everything before I get started and make sure I blow the engine bay off before starting it up. Thanks for your feedback 🤝

Comment

Working...
          X